Tire recomendations: - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Tire recomendations:

I need to replace my front tires due to inside edge wear (camber / toe problem now fixed)

I'm also noticing that my right rear is down to less than 1/8" of tread. It'll give me another season, but probably not 2 more.

If I do the fronts and wait on the backs, I'll be locked into these tires for the foreseeable future.

I'm running Goodyear F1 GSD3's. They are great tires, but are very expensive. Are there better tires? Are there better tires that are cheaper? I've shopped for Nitto 555's and 555r's, but they don't list them in my sizes.

Fronts = 225-50-16
Rears = 255-45-17

Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Re: Tire recomendations:

You have 16 in front and 17 out back, is that right? You still have those steel Cragars on there? Perhaps move to 225/55/16 (or maybe a 245/50R16), get a little more height (almost an inch, and much closer to the height of the rear).

It looks like you can get all 3 sizes in the BFG KDW/KDWS lines, Firestone Wideoval and more.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

That site gives you the ability to list models available by brand, though not all brands are listed.

Or get new wheels, all 17s, and do the 255/45/17 all around.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 10:42 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Try this (Tire Rack) and put both sizes in and see your options... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchFrontRearTires.jsp?

With your sizes you'll get 2 pages to look over...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

Last edited by DjD; Apr 6th, 07 at 09:47 AM. Reason: fixed link... I hope!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 11:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I've been happy with the BFG KDWS on the '69. I like the way the tread looks on the KDW better.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Hey Jim ditto on the BFG KDWS's.

Size . . . . . MSPN . Rim . . Section . Dia . Rev/mile
225/50ZR16 62858 . 6 - 8 9.2 on 7 . 24.9 . 836
225/55ZR16 70083 . 6 - 8 9.2 on 7 . 25.8 . 808

PS-Jim discounttiredirect.com was the best price I found anywhere other than there stores, but then I had to drive to pick them up and pay tax. Online I the shipping was fast and free to my door and I don't recall paying sales tax.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 07, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hey Jim, I run BF Goodrich KDW tires, they really are great for summer only driving. I got mine from Costco of all places. They ordered them for me and I couldn't beat the price from anyone, Tirerack included.

Mike

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 07, 11:38 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

I second, or is that third the BFG. KDW and KDWS
Although I've used tirerack in the past, I'm currently a fan of Discount Tire Direct (not Discount Tire). http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do
It's hard to beat no tax and free shipping. Looks like they have a $40 discount on some of the BFGs right now.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 07, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

I run the KDWS on my daily driver ('00 Stang GT vert) and love them--great dry performance, and incredible wet performance. I'm planning to run KD's (not KDW or KDWS) on my '68 when I finally get around putting new wheels on my '68 vert. Not going to be doing and driving in the rain in the '68

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 07, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

thanks for the suggestions guys, all good stuff. Been checking the links and reading about various tires.

And the BGF KDW & KDWS are the only ones that come close to equaling the F1's. And they cost just as much.

So, lets try another question. Would anyone here put a 275 40 on a 17 x 8 inch rim?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 07, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
thanks for the suggestions guys, all good stuff. Been checking the links and reading about various tires.

And the BGF KDW & KDWS are the only ones that come close to equaling the F1's. And they cost just as much.

So, lets try another question. Would anyone here put a 275 40 on a 17 x 8 inch rim?
Have you seen my car Jim???

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 07, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Ok obviously not so I'll show you again.

To bad the weather wasn't nicer it would make a good excus for a raod trip, and a chance to snag you camber jig.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 07, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yup, sure have Harley, you got them big drag radials on 17x8's?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 07, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

anyone else comment on 275-40-17 on a 17x8?

What about mixing a drag radial rear with a "regular" front, say for example a nitto 555 in front and 555r in back?
Would the handling be kinda wierd?

hmmm... now that I look closer, you're doing exactly that, Harley... and you like to think of your car as kinda PT, too... will she turn? and do you run those ET Streets all the time? You did trailer to Byron last fall.
And don't rub it in, I recall that I trailered HOME!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech
Harley D

I only trailer to because of what happened to you. Last year I was stuck at GLD twice, and both times for minor issues, and had to wait more than 3 hrs each time for a tow. I don't really consider my car PT more of just a fun street car. As for handling I'd still like to try tweaking the front camber a little more, but all in all it corners very flat. It does push a bit with a slight understear, but as you know I'm running DR's and traction bars. Neither of which are great for cornering, but she'll hold her own on tight curves to @ 60mph. Which is allot more than the 40mph that my wife's Trail Blazer will run on those same turns.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 07, 09:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
anyone else comment on 275-40-17 on a 17x8?

What about mixing a drag radial rear with a "regular" front, say for example a nitto 555 in front and 555r in back? Would the handling be kinda wierd?
I think you will find that most manufactuers recommend 9.0"-11.0" for a 275/40R17. I think they say that for a reason, no matter what people do.

I would not buy DR for everyday for the rear if you plan on driving a lot. Compounding & tire construction is different.

You buying new wheels, sunshine?

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode