Hotchkis leaf springs and 275/60/15's??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hotchkis leaf springs and 275/60/15's???

I installed a set of Hotchkis rear leaf springs last year and ended up getting 16x8 rims and running a 255/50/16 tire. Well i never really liked the setup and running a 4:10 gear i really need taller tires. So today i installed a set of Weld Draglites with 15x8 and 4.5"backspacing and 275/60/15 tires. they do fit right now with nor ubbing but I didn't drive it. I have about an 1"of clearance on the inside wheel well and about 1.5" inches from the outside of tire to the wheel well molding. i can just put my hand all the way around in there. It looks badass but I am not sure if I need more room or not. Nobody will ever ride in the back of the car and I haven't driven it yet.

Questions: What is an acceptable amount of clearance all the way around a rear tire on a 68 camaro, especially the outside lip?

I want the low look like a lot of tubbed cars do but I don't want to cut the car up.

Thanks, Erik

67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
dan

Re: Hotchkis leaf springs and 275/60/15's???

I would say you are maxed out. Dont get it to close to the outter edge or it will cut the tire up. Its tuff to tuck that size tire under there without mini-tubs and moving the springs in. Just dont cut that lip off!! I have a 1/2" from my sidewall of tire to the inside edge of wheelwell trim and a 1/4" from the leafspring. Using a 275/60-15 on a 15x8 with 4-5/8 Back space. Tire is tucked under about 1". My inner wheelhouses were moved in 2" and my 9" is 2" shorter than a stock 10 or 12 bolt. I was able to move my tire in about 1-1/2". Back side of tire is 1/4" from the leafspring. I could go further but would need to notch the frame and move the rear part of the spings over.

68 RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode