If you have 29x15.5x15 tires....please respond!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

If you have 29x15.5x15 tires....please respond!!!!

Mickey Thompson couldn't help me when I called them yesterday, so I'm turning to my brothers on team Camaro. I was in the tire business for 9 years, so I realize that to get the tire height, you take the circumference and divide by pi (3.14159). All I want is if someone has sportsman rear tires in the 29x15.5x15 size on the back of their ride, could you take a tape measure and eyeball from the ground to the top of your tire and tell me about how many inches????? Thanks so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: If you have 29x15.5x15 tires....please respond!!!!

Your tire is showing you the diameter already, 29". But, this is dependent upon the width of wheel its mounted, how much weight is loaded, and air pressure in tire itself. You already know this and the rest of the story.

Now, if 10.5 tire is mounted on an 8.5 rim, then the tire is going to "grow" in diameter due to centrifugal force at speed and "ballooning" of sidewalls at rest. Tire could grow an additional 2-3 inches diameter minimum at 115 mph. The same 10.5 tire on a 10 inch rim may only grow 1-2 inches in height.

I run a 28.5 X10.5 slick on an 8.5 rim and I have a flat palm and an extra finger of clearance between the tire and qtr panel. My slick rubs.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11

dubs68camaro...
I have 29X18.5X15 MT's on my car (see my sig). The height would be the same as the 15.5 tire you asked about. I can measure them tonight if you'd like. Let me know. I would think width is going to be a problem with the 15.5 unless you already did a mini tub or something. My car has full tubs.

Mark

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

Last edited by PROZ11; Apr 3rd, 07 at 12:56 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
dubs68camaro...
I have 29X18.5X15 MT's on my car (see my sig). The height would be the same as the 15.5 tire you asked about. I can measure them tonight if you'd like. Let me know. I would think width is gonig to be a problem with the 15.5 unless you already did a mini tub or something. My car has full tubs.

Mark
Yes....that would be great. This is not a racing slick question. I understand how they grow. Just watch a fuelie leave the line. I'm just trying to get a ROUGH idea.

P.S. You make me sick Mark.............That's one wicked '69!!!! What's that thing sticking out of the hood though???? Is that where you keep the hotdogs warm???

Didn't confusious one say "injection is nice.....but I'd rather be blown"???

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage

dubs,
No problem, I'll measure the rear tires tonight. I'll be working on the car anyway.

Hey, I haven't put the hood on yet, but here's a shot of "that thing" sticking out:

Some other pics here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104746

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage

dubs68camaro,
I measured the tire height as they sit on my car. They are a little over 29 inches in the center of the tread with the slight crown on top of the tire. It adds about 1/2" to 3/4" to the total height. So the advertized size is just about right. Remember my tires are 3 inches wider than the ones you asked about, so mine might have a bit more crown to them in the center.

Mark

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode