Is half an inch enough???? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Is half an inch enough????

Seriously, My builder told me there is half an inch clearance on both sides in the rear with the 18x10s I gave him. Rims are Boyd JYD's and tires are
B.F.G. KDW 275/35/18. Will a half inch be enough clearance with passengers in the rear?(my kids) The car is getting a complete make-over. I'm lowering it 2". All of the metal on the car will be replaced, except the roof,dash & original radio. 12 bolt Moser in the rear . 383 under the Cowl Hood. R/S hide-aways. It will be the original Garnet Red with Black stripes (z-28 I think) over the hood and rear. It will also have SS badges,(but I promise I'll never mis-represent it as one.) I'll post pics. Its due for completion June 1st.

Thanks Guys,
Great site, keep up the good work & I'll see some of you Chicago/Indiana/Michigan guys at the shows this summer.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 12:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Is half an inch enough????

hi nieghbor!!!

A half inch is tight, and may scrape when you do stuff like turn into a driveway, where one tires compresses the suspension before the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Hi Jim, Will I only rub with people in the car or do you think it will rub all the time?

Thanks, Mike

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 12:21 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

IMO you're going to scrape... I had 275/40-17's on mine on 9.5's with 5.5" backspacing on drum brakes. They rubbed on the inside with just me in the car. Your tires are a tenth wider in section width on a 9.5" wheel, that 10" is going to make it even closer. What back spacing are your wheels? maybe with 5.5" bs and a rolled fender lip but you really are leaving no clearence for body flex. I think your be scaring your tires on both the inside and outside with passangers in your car...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Ouch, dont tell me that. any other opinions that will help me sleep BETTER.
thanks for the info though. I guess my wife & kids will have to stay home. She has no interest, but my 11 yr old son will be riding shotgun(maybe back seat-I don't have the car to put up the fight yet) Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 04:53 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Not wanting to bum you out Mike, I know guys are running 275/40-17's on coupes and claim no rubbing on 9.5" wheels w/5.5" bs. Your 18's are only a tenth inch wider in section width so maybe if your wheels back spacing is right you'll be ok with just light rubbing... I just know not many doing it pack a family in the car though very often.

I replaced the 275's with 255/45's with an inch less section width and added rear disc's and I have about 1" on the inside. As you can see I still get some slight rubbing...

Now my car's a rag top so it's not as ridged as a coupe and I have a 16 yr old in the back seat and my wife in the passanger seat. Many times I have 4 adults and a full trunk cruising as well. With a 2" drop in front and a 1 1/2" in back I have to be careful in some driveways and have to go into them at an angle. That's when the rubbing takes place. I don't get any when cornering but then again I'm always alone when I push it at all... I'm hoping the subframe connectors help some when I get them.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 05:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

I just bought a set of 17x9.5, 275/40 with 5.5 backspacing. The drivers side ended up 3/4 from the inner well and drivers 1/2 inch. My rear is over to one side a little. Anyway the pass side is perfect with no rubbing, but the drivers I needed a 1/4 spacer so it didn't rub. Now bothe are perfect from the inner fender and outter lip.

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 08:14 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Garage

Mike
I have a 69 vert, Bought 275/60/15's and new 15x8's w/4 3/4 backspacing. This was after test fitting with 4 1/2 BS. The bodys came from the factory with varing wheelwell widths my passenger side is 1" wider than the drivers, not unusual. After mounting and running this setup I went with 255's and sold the 275's.I had 5/8's +CLEARANCE and rubbing on the inside when turning into driveways etc . I did not want to risk tire failure and a messed up car for a little wider tire. I have weldin subframe conn.,polygraphite bushing and caltrac bars and 1" lowering blocks making for a tight suspension and very little body roll compared to a stock susp. If you go wide just keep track of how much rubbing is going on.. good luck! Post some pics for us!!

1969 SS Convertible, LeMans Blue w/White Stripes, 383, 350 Turbo, 650 Demon mech. sec., DSE subframe connectors and Caltracs etc.
h
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode