From stock to hot rod - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 07, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

From stock to hot rod

Last year I bought a fully restored stock 69 RS/SS and immediately got the need to hot rod the car. I finally am getting the engine pulled and am having a local racing engine builder design/install a custom 454 (bored to 468) with all high performance parts. I am told it will be somewhere between 500-600 horsepower when done.

In order to keep this power under control I need to change my wheel/tire setup from stock 14/7 SS wheels with bias ply tires to something modern and wider. Any suggestions? I do not want to tub or mini-tub the car. I do not want to alter the brakes/suspension either at this moment. I have too much invested in the motor, but I do not want to get cheap wheels/tires.

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 07, 09:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: From stock to hot rod

Wheelfinder.com or tirerack.com something like that. There you will find several examples of wheels to fit your car. Even adjust color of car to match yours.....I think Hotrod.com has one also....JM.02

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 07, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Have you ever hear of Boze wheels? I like their style called "Five Speed". It is somewhat common looking, but it is sharp and simple.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

500 to 600 hp?

If you get most of that to the ground, you will have to modify suspension. I've been going throught that. I have a 468 that is only allowing about 340 or so hp to the wheels.
I blame the tranny and converter but that is a different story. The point is, even with only 340 RWHP, the car is breaking loose at any speed on the road if I even bump the throttle. A goose on the gas pedal and if I am not frosty on that steering wheel, she will go sideways in the blink of an eye.
The tires and wheels I use are P275 60/R15 in the rear on Weld Draglites.

That 468 will make very good torque and if you don't modify the suspension at least a little, you will break stuff.

For starters, a traction bar to stop wheel hop which will be enormous with lots of torque.

Also, MAKE SURE they change the motor mounts and towers to accomodate a BBC if the original motor was SBC. Otherwise, your headers will be sitting ON your steering box. You won't hardly be able to get a piece of paper between the steering box and the header.
The clearance between your vacuum booster and valve cover may be an issue too.
If you are going from SBC to BBC, there will be more weight up front and I seriously suggest a tougher spring there. As long as you're changing springs, you might as well go with new control arm bushings and bump stops and I recommend urethane. Those bushings may have never been changed out since 1969.

These are all things I've run into with a similar setup as yours.

While the engine is out, the front suspension upgrades are cheaper and easier.
Mark my words, 500-600 hp will require some upgrades from stock or you could lose control.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 07, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

A few items you'll probably want to include in your to-do list, if you already haven't, to help get traction down and save your parts...

1) Tires with grip. For example, drag radials. MT's or BFG's are nice.
2) Traction control. For example, CalTrac bars and springs are nice. I have them.
3) Chassis rigidity. Tie the frame.
4) Rear end strength. Use a decent 12 bolt or 10 bolt and axles. If you hook up well, you'll need it.
5) Driveline strength. Use a decent driveshaft and yoke. Go with steel. I'd also suggest a built TH400 or 350 (if auto).

Enjoy!

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...

Last edited by .gearhead.; Apr 21st, 07 at 02:53 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I like the wheels on your 68. Are they Weld Prostars? Are they all the same size? What size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode