HELP - rubbing noise - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Question HELP - rubbing noise

So i put on my ralleys last night and now i have a rubbing noise when turning left coming from the right front. It wasn't there before the wheel swap and it's not a tire rub. Any ideas???

I did pull the rf drum and check the shoes before bolting the wheel on.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
john

Re: HELP - rubbing noise

i'm sure of you look around the wheelwell area you will find the rub marks....

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I can't even turn a 1/4 turn and it starts making noise. i'm only running215/65/15's

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 10:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

lmao! That's my noise! I replaced the entire front suspension, a-arms, brakes, bearings, everything, and came out of it with that same noise. A metalic scraping, happens with virtually any amount of left turn. Seems loudest when going slow and easy, but perhaps that is the lack of other noises?

I've checked the wheel bearings 3 times...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
lmao! That's my noise! I replaced the entire front suspension, a-arms, brakes, bearings, everything, and came out of it with that same noise. A metalic scraping, happens with virtually any amount of left turn. Seems loudest when going slow and easy, but perhaps that is the lack of other noises?

I've checked the wheel bearings 3 times...
Jim I think you have disc up front don't you? check the dust shield rubbing on the A-arm. just a thought
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I repacked my bearings - no difference. Went on a 50mile run then pulled the wheels and can't find any witness marks.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 05:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainedoe View Post
Jim I think you have disc up front don't you? check the dust shield rubbing on the A-arm. just a thought
no dust shield on the Willwoods, no witness marks that I can find. New bearings and races...

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 05:40 PM

Jim check the back of the rotor and a-arm clearance iv'e seen this happen before and when it does happen it's often overlooked because it shouldn't happen.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSTONE View Post
So i put on my ralleys last night and now i have a rubbing noise when turning left coming from the right front. It wasn't there before the wheel swap and it's not a tire rub. Any ideas???

I did pull the rf drum and check the shoes before bolting the wheel on.

Help?
are the rally's you put on the same backspace as the wheels you took off?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Tie rod end hitting rim?

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Once I had a rubbing noise and found out that the lugnuts on my wheels were hand tight... Just a thought. Do you torque your wheels after everytime you take them off?

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 07, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Have you tried raising that wheel off the ground with a jack supporting the lower control arm and spinning the wheel while gradually turning the steering wheel?

Stock '68 Camaro L48 M20 3:31 LeMans Blue Coupe, black deluxe int, console w/gauges
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 07, 06:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Todd and Jim,

Check the rear bottom fender bolt that you see in the wheel well. Also if you have the wheel well trim, check that out too Just look for shinny spots on the bolts and trim .

Kev
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 07, 07:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Damn!

Found mine. The top of the caliper mounting bracket, or the bolt head, is rubbing on the backside of the disc. BOTH SIDES.

Wonder if this is worth a new thread? Or just a call to Wilwood?

The Wilwood brackets come with a selection of shims and spacers so you can use them with either drum or disc spindles. I "KNOW" I used the right spacers, checked the whole stack with a dial caliper, compared to the parts list, and sorted according to which ones read thicker or thinner...

Since they are fixed calipers, I'll probably have to pull everything off, reshim the top for clearance, reshim the bottom to get the bracket straight, then reshim the caliper to the bracket to center it on the rotor.

Or I could just ignore it. At least I know it's not something really bad, like wheel bearings grinding themselves to dust.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

found mine also - it was actually rubbing in the RR on the back side of the tire against the fender/trunk wall. I am currently using 15x7 ralleys (FW) w/ 255/60-15's, but am switching to 15x8's using 255/60-15, would going with 4.75bs take care of this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode