Opinion Question on Front Tires - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 07, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Opinion Question on Front Tires

Well, I have my new wheels and tires, but I think I need to make a change on the front tires.

What I have:

Foose Nitrous (gray) wheels

Front 15 x 7 with 4.75 inch backspace

Rear 15 x 8 with 4 inch backspace

As shown in the pics, it's wearing 215 70 15 front and 245 60 15 rear, all in BFG Radial T/A. No rubbing issues whatsoever.

I put the 215 70s on because they were the only size in that range available locally. I have called BFG, and contrary to the rumors that are going around, they are still making Radial T/As. They are in production on 225 60 15 and 215 60 15 as we speak, so I could have either of those.

I had a 215 65 15 on the car for a test fit on a 15 x7 rally with 4.5 inch backspace. It fit okay, but I think the extra 0.25 inch backspace of the Foose wheels is a good thing.

So...

I am leaning to ordering a pair of 215 60 15, just to get less sidewall showing. I think the 215 70 looks too tall, and I don't really need the width of the 225 60 (even though I think it would fit okay).

Opinions? Anybody have a good side shot photo of a 215 60 15 on their car? I saw a pic of 67 Convertible's car with that front tire size, but it was an oblique angle and hard to judge.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 04:31 AM
Kevin

Re: Opinion Question on Front Tires

Eric, nice stance! But the front tire looks larger than the fronts. It looks a little out of place.

I would try a smaller 60 series tire on the front to even the look out. Radial TA come in 195 or 205 60 15.

Just my .02

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 06:52 AM
Team Member
Christropher

I agree that the fronts look too tall, too much sidewall. Your paint has also lost it's gloss.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Kevin! It's nice to finally have it out of the garage under power and to have the 195 60 14 roller tires off.

The back tires are 26.6 inch diameter. The current fronts are 26.9 inches, so yeah they are a little bigger.

My choices, in order of derceasing diameter, are:

215 65 15 (26 inches)
225 60 15 (25.6 inches)
215 60 15 (25.2 inches)
205 60 15 (24.7 inches)
195 60 15 (24.2 inches)

The roller tires I had on it were 185 60 14, and at just under 23 inches in diameter they looked ridiculous.

My gut is telling me that the 215 60 15 is the way to go. The difference in diameter is 1.4 inches (between that size and the rears). If I go down to the 205, the difference front to rear is 1.9 inches, and that seems like too much.

I am just having a hard time visualizing, and I'd like to get it right. The tire place is willing to take back the fronts I have now and get me what I want, but I'd like to get it "right" this next time.

Eric
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33 View Post
Your paint has also lost it's gloss.
Must be the camera. That paint's a mile deep in person....

The back half is 12 year-old gray DP, the front is year-old hi-build, the header is the rpimer we put under hi-build, and the cowl vent grille is trimmed out in the mid-80s Vette red the previous owner wanted to paint the car. I am about 20 hours worth of troubleshooting (I hope) before she goes for her paint (DuPont Pepper Gray metallic, as seen on Eleanor in Gone in 60 Seconds, but with black DX1 stripes).

I just want to get the front tire size resolved so I can do my alignment and log some miles to shakeout all the bugs...

Eric
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 07:41 AM
Kevin

Eric, Car is looking nice in 3 colors of primer I agree with the 215. about 1.5 inches smaller on the front sounds about right.

Kevin

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 06:55 PM
Kevin

How do you post pictures? I have 215/60/15's all the way around. What springs are you using front/rear?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
John

Eric,

Looking good. I vote for the 215-60's. 3 tone paint? 4 if you count the red cowl. I personally like the "hot rod" primer look.

I still don't get the 17" and up wheel crowd. Without sidewall height on the tires, IMHO, a car looks like a Hot Wheels Toy.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 07:17 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Eric - this pic is the wrong car but the tires are 215/60x15 front and 245/60x15 rear. Both on GM FW 15x7 rallys...

When they were on the Camaro the 245's were on Corvette 15x8s with 5" bs and the rears looked much larger. On 15x7's they look much closer in size...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 1st, 07, 07:22 PM
Kevin

Here's the pictures of 215/60/15 all around. I just installed Globalwest springs all around. I'm thinking of 245/60/15 for the rear and 225/60/15 front.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode