Will a 5" backspace work on a 9.5" wheel on a '69? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Will a 5" backspace work on a 9.5" wheel on a '69?

Reason I ask is because I am currently running a 17x9.5 (5.5" b/s) rear on a 285/40 tire and It appears I have plently of room to go outward and I am considering having wheels made with either a 5.25" or 5.0" b/s to move them outward slightly.

Anyone running something like this...?

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Re: Will a 5" backspace work on a 9.5" wheel on a '69?

OK...I'm now thinking of a 5.25" b/s on a 9.5" wheel...with a 315/35-17 tire.

Anyone have any experience with a combo similar to this on a '69 Camaro...?

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 67camaro02

I wouldnt put a 315 on a 9.5in rim. I know they can fit but i personally wouldnt.

You could probably get away with a 5.25in but id make sure that when hitting bumps and turning they dont come up and rub the fender. I used a 8in rim with 4in backspacing for a while and my fender hit the tire a couple times and chewed it up pretty bad.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech

John a lot of what fits and what hits depends on the car. Does your car have factory or repo 1/4s? It DOES make a difference. Also what rear brakes are you using? Do they push the wheels out slightly? When you think about it a 1/4" should really not be significant. I can tell you this my '69 has factory 1/4s and there is NO WAY anything bigger than a 275 on a 9.5 with a 5.5 or 5.75 will fit without rolling lips and banging on the inner wheel well. I will most likely go with a 275 tire on a 9" wheel with 5.5" backspace to be safe. I know I could not get a 285 on my car without mods. Of course all that can change with aftermarket 1/4s but be carefull.

Jack
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 07, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
John a lot of what fits and what hits depends on the car. Does your car have factory or repo 1/4s? It DOES make a difference. Also what rear brakes are you using? Do they push the wheels out slightly? When you think about it a 1/4" should really not be significant. I can tell you this my '69 has factory 1/4s and there is NO WAY anything bigger than a 275 on a 9.5 with a 5.5 or 5.75 will fit without rolling lips and banging on the inner wheel well. I will most likely go with a 275 tire on a 9" wheel with 5.5" backspace to be safe. I know I could not get a 285 on my car without mods. Of course all that can change with aftermarket 1/4s but be carefull.
Thanks for the advice guys.My car still retains it's factory 1/4's and I'm not rubbing anywhere now with the 285/40's on a 9.5" wheel.The only place it did rub was on the exhaust tubing on the pass side but I had those cut off last week when I installed new Flowmaster Super 44's.

I know the 315 would require at least a 10" wheel but I've factored in the "buldge factor' as well. I got buddies here running old-school 295/50-15's...on 7" wide wheels...so I DO know about buldge.

I could just re-order my wheels (American Racing 200S) in a 5.5" b/s and be safe with a 285/40...but I'm trying to better fill the wheelwell.I can't just slap the 315/35's on this wheel because then I'll be too close inside.That's why I'm thinking about moving the wheel out a 1/4" (5.25" b/s) and seeing if the 315/35 will work on this car.It looks from my calculations that it will...everyone of these cars is different.Mine sits 23.5" from the center of the rear wheelwell to the ground so it is very low.The fronts are a shade under 23".I'm running a 255/45 on a 17x8 (4 3/4" b/s) up front and they tuck in nicely and don't rub.My koni shocks are set on kill and the car has very little body movement.

I think I'm gonna go for it.If for some reason they don't fit...I've got two other cars they probably will work on.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 07:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
OK...I'm now thinking of a 5.25" b/s on a 9.5" wheel...with a 315/35-17 tire.

Anyone have any experience with a combo similar to this on a '69 Camaro...?
might clear sitting still, but I really doubt it will clear moving. I did see one guy do it, but he had several inches of fenderwell clearance between the tire and fender which didn't look very good to say the least! It still would have rubbed if it came down at all.

If you're going to do it anyway make sure they'll fit something else you own, as there's no way I can see them clearing in a driving situation, even if you cut the fender lips for clearance.

Jody

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 08:22 AM
Senior Tech

Maybe you could try a 1/4" spacer behind your current wheels and see how it works before ordering the new wheels.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Much as I hate the idea of wheel spacers, I think I'd rather have a bit too much backspace than not quite enough. It's easy to space the wheels outward - a bit tougher to move them the other way.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil B View Post
Maybe you could try a 1/4" spacer behind your current wheels and see how it works before ordering the new wheels.
That has already been suggested and I've mocked up the wheel 1/4" outward to see my clearance and I've got the room.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 09:34 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Hey John - Drum or disc brakes out back? There is about 5/16-3/8" difference in the mounting pad on each side between them. My 5.5" backspaced 9.5's got real close to the fender lip after the disc retrofit...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Hey John - Drum or disc brakes out back? There is about 5/16-3/8" difference in the mounting pad on each side between them. My 5.5" backspaced 9.5's got real close to the fender lip after the disc retrofit...

Dennis,

X-77 Z/28,standard rear drums...for now.

Thanks for that bit of info Dennis,I had not considered that...and I am planning on the brake swap in the near future.Maybe i should just stay with the 5.5" b/s just to be safe.

Are your wheel lips rolled...?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 09:51 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Not rolled but trimmed slightly... I was sweating it and I only have 255/45 rubber on my wheels.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 07, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Not rolled but trimmed slightly... I was sweating it and I only have 255/45 rubber on my wheels.
Well I pulled the trigger and just ordered the wheels and I played it safe based on what DjD said...that was probably the single best advice I've ever gotten on the internet...thanks again Dennis. I had not considered the disc brake difference.What I ordered:

(2) American Racing 200S 17x9.5 (5.5" b/s)
(2) Nitto NT555 Extreme 285/40ZR17

I know this works on my car because it's what I'm currently running with VWW V-40's and Kumho Ecsta SPT's.

Excuse the neighbor's wife,she got into my picture:

I've got all kinds of clearance as you can see.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
GEARHEAD

Nice!

Kelvin
1969 RS Z/28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode