Another 15X7 Rally Wheel Question for Z/28 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 07, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Dwight's Z/28
Another 15X7 Rally Wheel Question for Z/28

Sorry for the additional thread, but I wanted to get a little more specific in my question.

I own a 69 X77 (base model Z/28). The other weekend, I decided to replace the leaf springs currently on the car, 5-leaf to a 4-leaf setup. Well, after replacing the leaf springs, the outcome was a seriously LOW rear end and that's without settling of the leaf springs or gas tank installation or gas even pumped in the tank.... Well, given that fact that my front end is now jacked up sky high, I have taken the advice from David Pozzi's threads and I've ordered a set of Moog 6308's that I will soon be replacing on the front. Hopefully this will solve my problem....

The reason why I'm posting, is that most threads have a mix of how their wheel and tire sizes fit their 67's or 68's.... there are even those that are showing pictures of their 69, but none are sitting as low as mine now, which has me nervous..... I've heard that the Z/28 sat lower and that is why the bumper guards were placed on Z/28's. (Not sure how true a statement that is, but I have wishful thinking) I'm chewing nails to see how things look after the new coils are on up front to make any further decisions, but until then....

I've purchased a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/A 235-60-15's all the way around. I'm pretty confident that they'll work, since I know other Z/28 owners have had success with them.... (assuming a lower stance than a normal 69 coupe)

Now for my Question:

I've got Disk's up front and Drums in the rear. Can I be assured that a 15X7 4.25" BS will tuck the wheel inside the fender front and back with no scrubbing or would I be better off with a 4.5" BS or some combination front and back. This is assuming the body is sitting so low now to allow me any room for error for the tire to get anywhere near the lip of the fender, since it will be probably sitting inside the wheel well.....

Would definitely appreciate any advice......

1969 Camaro X77D80, Lemans Blue, Black Racing Stripes, Black Interior - *He who is taught only by himself, has a fool for a Master.*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 05:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Another 15X7 Rally Wheel Question for Z/28

Dwight's Z28,

Wow I am really surprised that your car now sits that low after going from 5 leaf to 4 leaf's. I also have a 1969. My car currently has 4 leafs w/ traction bars and appears to sit ok.

As far as the tires & wheels. I have four 15x7 Rally's on it. The tires are P236/60/R15 all the way around. I have disc brakes up front as well & drums in the rear. The tires clear without any rubbing issues.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Can you tell me what your backspacing is both front and back?

Yes, I'm surprised too.... I called Eaton to speak with them on it and they've said that they should be fine, but I could send them back and they would "re-arch" them for me, but I don't want to do anything until I know I have the correct springs up front. It is definitely aggrevating.....

1969 Camaro X77D80, Lemans Blue, Black Racing Stripes, Black Interior - *He who is taught only by himself, has a fool for a Master.*

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 07, 07:49 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Dwight - If I had a Z/28 and wanted Rally Wheels I would want the correct "YH" coded wheels. If I couldn't afford them I would settle for a set of the same size "FW" coded Chevy wheels. Simplistically they are the right back spacing, no issues with front disc's, 235/60s fit on them and if the car is a bit lower it isn't a problem.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 07, 07:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

I believe the stock backspacing on 15x7 Rally's is either 4.25 or 4.50, (4.25 I think) I forget exactly. And shame on me for forgetting, that's a thing I should know just as easily as whether my carb is a 2bbl or 4 bbl.

As far as the front springs, way back in the day I was going to put a small block in my first 1969. Since I had factory a/c I went the super heavy duty front springs for a/c with SBC. Glad I did because I changed my mind and put a 396 BBC in there. It sat fine. I replaced the mono leaf's back there with 5 leafs and traction bars. Car was fine.

This one now (the current 1969) is a bit more challenging in many other ways. But let me know what Eaton says. No way a new set of 4 leafs should make your rear end that low. I wonder if someone at the factory messed up and shipped you a set of "lowering leaf springs" by mistake made for a corner carver.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dennis and Southside,

Thanks for your responses. Dennis, do you know a good place to get my hands on a set of YH or FW rims? I was leaning towards a short term decision of just buying a set from Summit Racing, which are from Wheel Vintiques. Appears that Rick's, Year One and Summit all sell Wheel Vintiques... although I've heard both good and bad things about them. Not sure if anyone would like to chime in on these Rally's?

Southside, you're thinking along the lines of myself.... in the fact that maybe they sent me a set of dropped leaf springs.... I won't know until I get my front springs (Moog 6308) replaced in a couple weeks.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 01:47 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

A couple places to try here in my area, they both ship.

Steves Camaros, call 800 544-4451

GM Sport Salvage, call 408 432-8498

Expect to pay about 2x more for the correct YH's than FW's

Also try ebay, craigslist and your local GM salvage yards...

...Dennis

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dennis, can you tell me what the differences are with the K10 vs K18 vs K19 date codes mean? i.e. Date Code K19 10 24 YH vs. K10 5 12 YH?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 07, 03:07 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

K = Manuf (Kelsey-Hayes)
1 = Plant Loc
(8,9 and 0) = Year made
then month and day of month

Do you have a lead on some yh's?

...Dennis

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 26th, 07, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I saw this information on Ebay. Not sure how much I can trust buying a wheel or two on ebay... never sure if you can trust the seller.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

FYI to everyone.... I went with the Wheel Vintiques 15X7 with the 4.25" backspace. First and foremost, the Wheel Vintiques are not hub-centric, as stated by others.

I'll be on the hunt for a set or FW's or YH's later down the road.

As far as the dimensions of the rims.... they tuck under the wheel wells perfectly. Thank you for everyone who's commented on this topic over and over. I've got discs in the front and drums in the rear. Thanks again!!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 07, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I don't think a lot of people realize just how low the stock Z/28 actually sat.
I had one brand new in 69, and a friend liked it so much he ordered a 327 coupe. We parked side by side and my car was at least 1 to 1.5 inches lower at the roof line. I recently put a set of 6308s in my 68 Coupe and she now sits prefectly. If you have an Assembly manual you can find out the trim heights. You can find out the height of the original F70 15 tires and equate that to the tires you have on. I think you will be surprised at what you find. What people forget is that these cars were designed for road racing. Most people who drag raced them changed the springs to make them sit higher.
As far as the YH wheels, if you are going for a concourse resto I would try to find them. I had a 30,000 mile original unrestored Z and the Y code wheels were gone. I was very fortunate to find a set through a good friend of mine who is a collector, but the date codes did not match. I still won best undrestored class.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode