backspacing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 07, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

backspacing

I have a question about some wheels I'm looking at buying. I did do a search in the forum also so here it goes. The only available b/s in this wheel is 4 1/2" or a zero offset. The tire that I like comes in a 255/40/17 for the rear and a 235/45/17 for the front all with 4 1/2" b/s. I have a completely rebuilt suspension nothing lowered and I was wanting to know if this would be ok for my 68 coupe? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 07, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech

Re: backspacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallask64503 View Post
I have a question about some wheels I'm looking at buying. I did do a search in the forum also so here it goes. The only available b/s in this wheel is 4 1/2" or a zero offset. The tire that I like comes in a 255/40/17 for the rear and a 235/45/17 for the front all with 4 1/2" b/s. I have a completely rebuilt suspension nothing lowered and I was wanting to know if this would be ok for my 68 coupe? Thanks.
It depends on the rim width, and I don't see a link to or pics of the rim. From what I've read here, you need 4.75" backspacing for an 8" wide rim. For other rim widths, add .25" in positive backspacing for every additional half inch in rim width (or vice versa for narrower rims).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 07, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

You're right I'm sorry the rims are 17x8's. I did go ahead and order them so I will need to get something I know will fit, any help out there??

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 07, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech

i'm a little confused by your question. first off, the "industry standard" for 17 inch wheels on first-gens are 245/45r17 for the front on an 8 inch wheel with a 4 3/4 inch backspace, and a 275/40r17 on a 9 1/2 inch wheel with a 5 1/2 inch backspace. the tires don't have a backspace measurement, only the wheels do. the tires only sit where the wheel makes them. the front wheels you ordered will need a 1/4 inch more backspacing. are you sure you want a shorter rear tire than the front? if you want a 255 section width, i'd go for a 45 series, if it were me.

Last edited by guccieng; May 30th, 07 at 04:42 PM. Reason: grammar
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 07, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

I know tires don't have a b/s measurment but here is my problem. The wheels I just bought are 17x8's with a 4 1/2 b/s. Can I put a 235/45/17 on the front and a 255/45/17 on the back without any problems?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 07, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you have factory type disc brakes, the 235's will be a bit tight in front if the car is low. You can compensate some with a lil neg camber. The guldstrand mod helps too, cause it lessen positive camber when the suspension compresses. If it's not too late, you might stay at a 225 tire in front.

The backs will be fine. That is exactly the rim and tire I run on my 68, no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 07, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Jim, it's not too late. Would a 255/40/17 work on the back as well? Do you think either of those back sizes and the front 225 would make a good combo as far as looks also?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 07, 05:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I run a 255-45-17 in back, on an 8" rim with 4 1/2" of backspace. There is plenty of room, in fact I'm giving thought to going to a 275 on these same rims when I wear the back tires out.

I would not go to a shorter 40 series 255 in back. the 45's are all ready on the short side at 25.5", anything shorter would leave the wheelwells looking "empty."

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 07, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you sir!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 07, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech
Corey

I'm just assuming (because I'm flirting with the idea as well) you have purchased the kit on ebay from "Custom Wheels Market". I was actually searching for used torq thrust rims and tires this morning, as my loaner wheels are going back, and the car is now immobile due to the front rotors rubbing on 15'' ralleys. Wheels LOOK good, and the price is definetly right. Only issue, is I believe we're limited to straight 17x8'' and 4.5'' backspacing on all 4 corners If backspacing and rear width was variable, I would of already placed my order. If this is your situation, let me know. I'm curious to what these "replicas" look like, and how they fit. I'm dropped 2'' in front, and a bit in the rear as well.

Here is a link for those not knowing what I'm talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-T-...QQcmdZViewItem

For anyone with pics, or input on these wheels/tires, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks !

Last edited by apbtrock; Jun 1st, 07 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Add link
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

I recieved my wheels a few days ago. Wow! they look great and was packaged perfectly. I bought the black painted ones. I think I like them even better than the American Racing M's which by the way are non existant. I ordered some Kumho MX tires for them (anyone have these?). The wheels are 17x8 all around with a
4 1/2 b/s. The tires are 255/45/17 and 235/45/17 I hope everything works out alright a few more days and I'll know for sure. But as far as the wheels go and by the looks thery're awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode