hotchkis lowering...and ralley wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 07, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

hotchkis lowering...and ralley wheels

I know this topic has been beat to death and I did a search but nothing was in line with my question. I have 15x7 ralleys with 235/60/15 and I have never had a problem with rubbing. Well,last night I finished my hotchkis lowering project and today I was moving the car around the shop to make some room...its not running yet...and I got some rubbin now,especially at the back of the fender.Question is what size ralley can I run,if I go to a 225/60/15 on the front is that gonna do it? or do I need to go smaller,How bout going to a 235/60/14 on the wheel size is that better...just dont know how to proceed here. I'm not an aftermarket wheel guy and most of the post were about 17 or 18 inch wheels,any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 07, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Re: hotchkis lowering...and ralley wheels

Anybody?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 07, 06:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Send a message via MSN to Mike_M

I have Hotchkis springs on my '68 with 225/60/15's and they appear to clear quite well - can't absolutely tell for sure as the car is not yet on the road, and might still have some settling to do, but at this point I'm fairly confident that it will be fine. 215/65/15's might give you even a little more clearance, plus be a tiny bit taller. I've posted this pic before and you might have already seen it, but for your reference here is a pic of mine with the Hotchkis springs installed, 225/60/15's on the front and 245/60/15's on the back, 15x7 ralley wheels all around.

Mike...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 07, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Wow,thats a beaut! are you gonna stay with black as your color? Thanks for the info, your car sits exactly like mine,so I think I'll go with the 225's. My only complaint is not being able to rotate the tires...but since I'll now have a 2 spare 235's I guess its not that big a deal and I'm not gonna drive the car every day so it shouldn't be that bad on wear I guess.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 07, 08:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Send a message via MSN to Mike_M

Thanks - it's actually going to be Lemans blue with a white "D90" SS stripe. The original color was Lemans blue, although it'll just be a clone, it's not a true SS. In my opinion you should be fine with the 225's, but I can't say for 100% sure - each car seems to be slightly different, and I've never had mine on the road, but it looks like there's plenty of room. Good luck

Mike...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 07, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech

you should get an alignment before buying new tires, your rubbing might be caused by too much caster moving the tire back and causing your rubbing on the rear of the fender

but your tires are about an inch larger around than most people use in the front, when the car is lowered

my 225/50R16 are 25" tall (I have hotchkis springs all the way around)
most people use 245/40R17 also about 25" tall
your 235/60R15 are 26.1" tall
this might also be your problem

if you are going to buy new front tires I would get some thing shorter like
225/55R15 24.8" tall
245/50R15 24.7" tall
215/60R15 25.3" tall

Hope this helps
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 07, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
you should get an alignment before buying new tires, your rubbing might be caused by too much caster moving the tire back and causing your rubbing on the rear of the fender

but your tires are about an inch larger around than most people use in the front, when the car is lowered

my 225/50R16 are 25" tall (I have hotchkis springs all the way around)
most people use 245/40R17 also about 25" tall
your 235/60R15 are 26.1" tall
this might also be your problem

if you are going to buy new front tires I would get some thing shorter like
225/55R15 24.8" tall
245/50R15 24.7" tall
215/60R15 25.3" tall

Hope this helps
Yeh,I thought about the caster being out but I believe its gonna be tight with the 235's like you said either way...How tall is a 225/60/15's?...I saw you put the 225/55/15,but I dont want a wider series on the front than the rear,thats the way I understand it the 55 would be wider than the 60...right?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 07, 03:17 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67pat View Post
I know this topic has been beat to death and I did a search but nothing was in line with my question. I have 15x7 ralleys with 235/60/15 and I have never had a problem with rubbing. Well,last night I finished my hotchkis lowering project and today I was moving the car around the shop to make some room...its not running yet...and I got some rubbin now,especially at the back of the fender.Question is what size ralley can I run,if I go to a 225/60/15 on the front is that gonna do it? or do I need to go smaller,How bout going to a 235/60/14 on the wheel size is that better...just dont know how to proceed here. I'm not an aftermarket wheel guy and most of the post were about 17 or 18 inch wheels,any help would be appreciated.

I'm running 215/60/R15's on the front of my 68' with Hotchkiss 2" drop coils in the front and I experience occasionally rubbing, but only for a second when the tires drop into a low spot or hole in the asphalt. It doesn't appear to be hurting the tire. I am not going to worry about tapering up the lip of the fender. I like the look and it only happens occasionally.

Last edited by Roadman; Jun 3rd, 07 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Adding another picture
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 07, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I'm running 215/60/R15's on the front of my 68' with Hotchkiss 2" drop coils in the front and I experience occasionally rubbing, but only for a second when the tires drop into a low spot or hole in the asphalt. It doesn't appear to be hurting the tire. I am not going to worry about tapering up the lip of the fender. I like the look and it only happens occasionally.

Do you know what the backspace is on your wheels? is it the same as a ralley? Your car looks good with that stance...I was hoping for a little flatter stance though...what are you running on the rear that looks bigger than my 235's so that could be the difference
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 07, 12:11 AM
Senior Tech

the first number is how wide the tire is in millimeters, 225 for example
the second number is how tall the sidewall as a percent of the width 55 is 55%
the third is the diameter of the rim

i used tirerack.com to find the specs i gave you

a 225/60R15 tire is 25.6"

you should also check to make sure your backspacing is right
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 07, 08:49 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67pat View Post
Do you know what the backspace is on your wheels? is it the same as a ralley? Your car looks good with that stance...I was hoping for a little flatter stance though...what are you running on the rear that looks bigger than my 235's so that could be the difference

I'm running 255/60/R15 T/A's on the rear. It's actually more raked than I thought I would get with the Hotchkiss coils. After reading a number of forum letters, it appeared the most drop people were seeing on their cars was around 1' to 1.5 inches. I believe I got the full two inch drop. There are no air shocks on the rear. I the BS on the Torque Thrust II's is 3.75 on the 15x7" wheels. Here is the car prior to the Hotchkiss springs.

Last edited by Roadman; Jun 4th, 07 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode