Question on wheel size - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Question on wheel size

I just ordered 4 new Ralley II 15x8" wheels for my 69 Firebird. The backspacing is either 4" or 4.25"...cant remember. I probably should have asked this before ordering them but didnt really think it would be a problem. I guess im just looking for a second or third opinion that there is no problem with running an 8" wheel all the way around. Since 69 Camaros are the same figured someone here has to be running 8" wheels on theirs and can give me some reassurance that i didnt just make a big mistake. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Question on wheel size

What size tires do you plan to run? An 8 inch rim with that little backspace could be make trouble at the fender lip, depending on the tire. I had a 15x7 rally with 4.5 inch BS and a 215/65 15 up front for a test fit, and it was within a finger width of the upper outside fender bolts. Mine's low (about the top inch of tire fits up into the wheelwell).

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Eric,
Thanks. I actually called and changed my order to 15x7s. It wasnt that big of a deal to me using 7" vs 8" so i just changed it so i dont have to worry. Im only going to be running 225/60s up front and 235/60s in the back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech

Did you find out what the BS is? Losing an inch up front is good, but you still need the right BS to fit a fairly wide and 25.6 inch tall tire up there.

Eric
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Damn, no i forgot to ask the BS when i called back. I pulled the front wheel off my Camaro this weekend and put it on the Firebird just to make sure it fit ok. That is a 15x7 with a 225/60/15. Fit great but again i didnt measure the BS on that wheel either. But i think its 4".

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 07, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech

I hate when that happens. A lot of 15 inch rallys are 4.25 or 4.5, but...

There's a lot of 69 Birds on Ralleye IIs, so you'll probably be fine. If not, I'm sure the Bird has the same inner fender bolts you can run without

Eric
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 07, 09:30 PM

Hello, Long time reader, first time speaker. I have a 68 firebird and bought some 15'' rally II wheels w/ 4.250 backspacing. I have Hotchkis 1 1/2 leaf spring kit and going to install 2'' hotchkis coil springs as well. My question is w/ the backspacing that I have, Whats the biggest tires I can fit in the rear and front without any rubbing? I would like to get some performance thread tires like M/T or Dunlop, BF Goodrich, etc...?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 07, 01:04 AM
Senior Tech
Corey

The biggest I have seen mounted on 15x8'' Rallyes, and a 67-68 was a 255/40/15 I believe it was. Depending on backspacing, brakes, and suspension...a bit more is possible, but I cannot say for certain anything larger than 255's will fit. They fill up the wheel well very nicely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode