68 BB, Stock suspension, Cragar, F70 x 14, and Tire rubs - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 07, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

68 BB, Stock suspension, Cragar, F70 x 14, and Tire rubs

Hey folks, hope you can help me out here. I have scanned this board and cannot quite find what I am am looking for.

I have a completely restored 68 396 SS L78, stock front suspension including reproduction shocks, stock reproduction HD coil springs, all new suspension parts. I have front power disc brakes. Running Goodyear Polyglas F70 x 14 with 14 x 7 Cragar SS with 3.875" backspacing. Have 17/32" spacer so Cragars clear disc braks. Problem is whenever I hit the slightest dip in road, the front end drops\bounces and I get rubbing. I am having hard time figuring out exactly where rub is, but I think it is the outer fender lip, passenger side for sure, perhaps driver side also. My guess is the 17\32" spacer may be the culprit, that it shoves the tire out just enough to cause problem. It that is so, I don't see a fix other than coil spring spacers or changing rims, which I don't plan on doing.

Any suggestions \ help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 07, 04:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

Re: 68 BB, Stock suspension, Cragar, F70 x 14, and Tire rubs

You need more backspacing. The factory rims had 4.25 inches of Backspacing. The disc brakes push your front tires further out. I have the original 14x7 Rally Rims on my 68 Camaro with no issues. I know that front spring spacers are available. GM makes them. Try a set to raise the front if changing the front rims is not an option.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 07, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech

yup, that guys right, need more backspacing

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 07, 05:01 PM

My stock '67's 14" x 6" steel rims have 3.75" b/s so if you try to run a 7" rim, it will hit the lip chrome at full droop!!

You HAVE to get the rim width in b/s'ing!!

pdq67

PS., and fwiw, my Fenton 14" x 7" Slotted Mags w/ 3.5" b/s rubbed at full droop until I stiffened her up w/ coil spacers!!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 07, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the infor. The rims are actually 4.125" backspacing, which probably would work if not for the disc brakes and having to use spacers. By the looks of it, I would need approx 4 5\8" min backspacing, but since Cragar does not make a custom SS (I am going to check it out to be sure) it looks like coil spacers. Again, thanks.

PS - Simple question. How to you upload pictures to a message. Tried last night with no luck.

Last edited by frankc5601; Jul 18th, 07 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode