275 on an 8'' rim - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 07, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Corey

275 on an 8'' rim

Any chance of clearing a 275/40/17 on a 17x8'' with 4.5'' bs?

I have the wheels I wanted, and thought I had the tires picked out as well. I seen plenty of 275's on 1st gens, and thought "no problem!". Not until later, did I realize, they were all on 5.5'' bs with a 9''+ rim.

My rearend is right around 1/4'' shorter than stock, overall length with discs. 1/8'' in towards center, both sides. I have plenty of work ahead on the 1/4's and rolling and trimming the lips, is not a problem. My father is an experienced bodyman, and mentioned changing the shape of the 1/4's at the wheel opening, slightly, if need be would not be a problem. Along the lines of fender flares, but with the actual sheetmetal, and hopefully, not noticeable. I've seen two first gens with gawdy fender flares, and will not alter my 1/4's like that!

Anybody tell me if they've seen it, what needs to be done? Tried it, and ran into clearance issues? Where? The wheels will be tucked in a smidgen more than stock, and the outer lip can be manipulated to fit. However, if it's going to place the tire 3'' outside the fender lip, obviously, that isn't acceptable.

Will any 275/xx/17 tire get me in the ball park, or will section widths vary so much between brands? I'm thinking this is probably a tire I can find on a newer SUV in a junkyard.

I really can't afford to pay shipping multiple times, if I can even return and exchange un-used (but mounted) tires.

Let's hear it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 07, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 275 on an 8'' rim

clearance is not the issue, imho. 275/40r17's need at least a 9 inch rim. that's what i run and it's on the edge of looking silly. if you did it with an 8 inch rim, i think it would be unsafe and look horrible. if you're stuck with that wheel, a 245 or 255 would be in good order. tirerack.com has specs on tire sizes and rim width requirements.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 07, 11:12 AM
Senior Tech

ya I just checked tirerack.com and they say 9"-11" wide rim for a 275/40R17
only Dunlop said an 8.5" wide rim would work
I think you should just get 245 wide tires

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 07, 05:10 PM
David Pozzi

CarlC has them all around on his 68 camaro.
http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

We are running a 275x17 on my wife's 73 camaro as front tires. This is for autocross only, but it's working. It is not ideal, needs a 9.5" rim but you can get by with it. We just couldn't buy another set of wheels after just buying two sets, one for street, one for autocross. I have no idea about how it will wear the tires, there may be some issues there.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 07, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Corey

Considering it will be on drag radials, I don't expect long tire life. I may try it, or I may break down and order 2 additional rims, and just mount slicks on them, with 255 street tires on 90% of the time. I didn't even think about that being Corvette size, I may be calling some junkyards for a mock-up tire.

What exactly is the risk with going 1'' lower than recommended width, and what would be the cause of looking horrible guccieng? Too much bulge? The reason for wanting 275's is the additional footprint = performance. Will too big of tire, on a smaller rim, hurt my straight line traction? It's extremely difficult to find 17'' drag radials in anything other than 275/40/17.

I just got these wheels in, and they are not available in 9''. 7'' and 8'' only. I have 7'' on front, and will probably run a 225. Possibly 235, depending on measurements after I sort out the back end.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep them coming.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 07, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Corey

Jon, are those 17'' rallyes with 275's, in your sig line?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 07, 11:27 AM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

My 96 T/A has 275/40/17s on 17x8 wheels and they are fine. They have been on there a little over 12k miles. I drive it daily rain or shine. They also don't have the bulge you would expect and wear is good. Well maybe a little extra on the outside due to pushing hard on corners here and there These are Falken Zieks:

Addicted to projects...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just wanna drive........
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 07, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Corey

I also notice Jegs wheel and tire combo, consists of 8'' rims (15 x 8 pro-star look alikes) in back with 275's. Recommended for racing use of course, but hook must not be an issue, as well as safety. They look pretty good, you don't happen to have a front-to-rear pic so I can see the bulge on the side of the rim, do you? If I could get 1/3 of the miles out of the first set as you did, I'll be pleased.

Theres someone selling 6 used tires locally for what I think is a reasonable price. 275/40/17 Hoosier Drag Radials. 6 rear tires should get me through my first year or so.

Car hasn't been on the road in I don't know how long. So yes, we're going to put the new 383 through it's paces ,and I feel horrible for whatever set or rears are going on there
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 07, 12:33 PM
Senior Tech

yes, those are my 17x9 inch steel rallys. the tire being so much wider than the rim looks silly to me. as for safety, the tires expect a range of rim widths to 'grip' the flange correctly; that's why they have the recommended widths. i think you would have a better chance of spinning the tire on the rim with a rim that is too small. you can get crager soft 8's in chrome or black pretty darn cheap from summit or jegs in a 17x9 inch size (about $70 each for the black ones). i'm thinking about getting those to put my MT et street radials on so i can get the goodyear f1's i want for the rallys. then i won't be scared to drive in the rain, and have a set to throw on for the track. i'm just concerned for your safety. good luck with whatever you choose!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 07, 01:09 PM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

This is all I have for now. But I was looking at the tread pattern and realized these are the crappy Continentals I had previously. I say crappy because they were squirrely in the rain. Not a whole lot of budge. Click on the pic to make it bigger.

One other thing. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum. Lots of 27540s in there and a few are on 17x8:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=100853

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	275 40 17.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	3850  

Addicted to projects...
I just wanna drive........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode