Do I need to get new tires? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 07, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Do I need to get new tires?

Hi fellow camaroheads,

I just purchased some MSR 044's 17" from an individual here locally for my 67. He had Wanli 205/40Z/R17 84 W XL tires on them. I know from reading posts and doing a little internet research that I should have a little more width on them, but I ask you this; Until I can get some more cash flow for new tires do you think I will have a problem, performance or otherwise if I keep these tires on for a while?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 07, 12:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Do I need to get new tires?

Personally I think P205/40/ZR17 is WAY to short for a 1967 Camaro. Your overall tire diameter (OD) is only 23.45 inches. In comparison a P225/60R15 (F60x15 in a bias ply tire) is about the same size a Z28 used in 1967 is 25.62 inches. That's over 2 inches difference. You will be putting alot more wear and tear on your suspension. A P215/65/R15 which was used by GM on many cars including Z28's, RS Camaro's and IROC's from 1982-1992 is 26.00 in OD. FWIW, the P235/60R15's I run are 26.10 OD.

I know there are guys out there who have built shrines and temples and Icons to 17 & 18" wheels on first gens. That's fine. But these same guys also criticize other people who run sumped gas tanks and MSD Ignition like I do but prefer the 15" Rally Wheel look of a "sleeper". To each their own.

Here is a tire size comparison tool. I love this thing. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

You actually need more height on that tire which is called the aspect ratio. Back when I was in the car business from 1989-1998 I saw all to many kids take P235/75/R15's off their Blazer's. They lowered the thing and then ran P205/50/R15's and wondered why their front end was trashed after a few months especially the ball joints. I was the same age they were but I would never put a diameter of a tire on a car which was smaller than the manufacturer intended. Back then several auto manufactures also stated that changing the overall diameter in a tire would affect your cars ABS system as the ABS sensed tire revolutions per second and would not react properly. You don't have to worry about ABS in a first gen. But nonetheless this was related to me first hand from a Chrysler Engineer and a Ford Engineer as well as GM.

Times have changed. But even the tire comparison tool states you should stay within 3% of the original tire diameter otherwise brake failure can occur. I guess I'm not so old school after all and I'm in my late 30's.

Also FWIW if you must have 17's you gotta double check your back spacing/offset. I would go with P205/55/17. Even a P205/75/R14 which GM used alot back when they went to Radial tires is 26.10 in OD.....Interesting, the same OD as P235/60R15 which is what I run on my 1969 with no issues. The P195/75R14 found on many RWD GM cars in the 70's & 80's was 25.51 in OD....Very close to the P225/60R15 which I believe was E60x15 in a bias ply tire. The Mustang GT & LX 5.0L ran P225/60R15 as well back in the 1980's through early 1990's.

P.S. P195/75/R14 = E78x14 in a bias ply tire and P205/75/R14 = F78x14

I hope this info helps you out.

Bottom Line: you need more height (taller aspect ratio) on your car...Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!!

Greg aka SSG&H

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 07, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

That is an awfully small tire, often found on FWD cars. What car did those wheels come off of? Did you check for backspacing and lug pattern?

And to sum up SSG&H, they are very short tires.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 07, 06:22 PM

I had to come back to this so please bear w/ me!!

My car came stock w/ 14" x 6" w/ 3.75" b/s steel painted rims on it!!

And I found out that we need to get our wider rims by going w/ a deeper b/s'ing b/c if you add like a 7" wide rim and hold the same stock b/s'ing that you will more than likely hit the front wheel well chrome piece!!

Try to hold the stock "front-spacing" and get your wider width rim by going deeper on the b/s'ing is what I am trying to tell EVERYBODY!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode