Wheel balancing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Wheel balancing

I have had my front VWW V45's with 245/50-16's balanced but only having weight on the inside. I have a slight 'tremor' between 45-50 mph. Have many/any people had a better dynamic balancing with weights on the outside too on aftermarket wheels? I'm tossed between stickon (my preference) vs weights on the rim lip but am leaning towards function over esthetics.

TIA

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 12:43 PM

Smile Re: Wheel balancing

Did the guy doing the balancing put the colored tire sidewall "dot" across from the valve stem??

He's supposed to b/c they spin balance new tires at the factory so they can tell us where to balance the heavy side to the light side of the rim sorta deal is all.

And the light side of most rims is the valve stem side..

pdq67

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 01:39 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Wheel balancing

Look for a place that does "Road Force" balancing. I was amazed at the technology when I had mine balanced recently.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

There's a place nearby that does that. I'm going to give them a try. I assume (?) weights are put on the inside and outside. If so, I think I'd prefer stickon ones rather than the rim ones hammered on.

Rick Dorion
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 07:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

You cannot expect perfection with static balancing (wt only on inside). Cant beat physics.

Where is the shake, your seat/floor (r) or the steering wheel (f)? Maybe you can limit what you need done. When they spin on the balancer, if they need a lot of wt (say over 1.5-2oz per side), you can try having the tire spun on the rim 180* and see if the amount of wt needed drops.

IMO, go tape weights.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 07, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Thanks. I feel a slight shake in the steering wheel.

Rick Dorion
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 07, 07:26 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

The roadforce balance allows for single plane balancing. The machine is very tech heavy. It measures exactly where the weight needs to be placed, both depth in wheel AND correct rotation. In fact it's so "smart" on the last tire/wheel they were balancing the machine gave them specific directions on dismounting the tire and remounting in a specific location to reduce the amount of weight needed.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 07, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
The roadforce balance allows for single plane balancing. The machine is very tech heavy. In fact it's so "smart" on the last tire/wheel they were balancing the machine gave them specific directions on dismounting the tire and remounting in a specific location to reduce the amount of weight needed.
Sounds like the Cat's Meow for tire/wheel balancing, especially with the new sizes starting to infect the market. What tire place would be able to afford this machine?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 07, 03:59 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

The guys at my place were saying they are already looking at a new machine that is all laser precision measurements. It just takes a person to stick the weights. I'll never go to a regular spin balance place again.

Steve

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 07, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

The place near me just upgraded from the 9700 to the laser machine.

Rick Dorion
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 07, 06:14 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Sounds like the Cat's Meow for tire/wheel balancing, especially with the new sizes starting to infect the market. What tire place would be able to afford this machine?
Actually, lots of shops/dealers have the Hunter GSP-9700 machine; go to www.gsp9700.com and use the locator to find the shop closest to you that has one. Not only balances, but diagnoses radial and lateral runout AND radial force variation, which are totally independent of balance.

JohnZ
CRG
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 07, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Cool ! Thanks, JohnZ!

Dealers mostly and Goodyear stores, plus a couple Merchants Tire.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode