Restoring 69 SS Wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ed

Question Restoring 69 SS Wheels

What is the best way to repaint the Magnum style SS wheels? I bought a stencil kit from Eastwood, but when I laid out the pieces they don't match up perfectly with the indentations of the wheel. I have painted the wheels the Argent silver, now just need to do the black inserts. I am guessing I will have to mask off each one. I have the paint from Eastwood as well. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this before. Thanks Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 07, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Restoring 69 SS Wheels

Sir, I have SS wheels too ... I chose to have them powdered coated rather than painting them ... Of course the argent silver ... I was so impressed on how they looked after being powdered coated with their SS caps and trim rings, I am hesitating to paint the black on them ... However, if I do paint them, I would most certainly get some actual body shop green masking tape and then tediously mask them (no stencil kit) ... Scuff the areas to be painted with a scuff pad and then use that charcoal grey/black ratlle can paint ... I would ensure the paint is enamel as it is a tougher paint ... bake the paint on in the oven if you can, if not allow the sun to bake the fresh paint for sometime ... Kevin
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 07, 04:02 PM
bob

Re: Restoring 69 SS Wheels

Well here's what I had used, I bought the blue masking tape from home depot, masked the five spots and masked newspaper around the outer part of the rim. don't forget to tape the holes on the back side
you will get over spray from the front. If your spraying the whole rim, spray the charcoal gray first and let dry a few days. remember never rush or you will get a crappy paint job and everyone will notice!

Yes I also had the rims powder coated to make it neater and new looking, just expensive if you go to the wrong place! just remember if you paint a bare rim use a good etching primer and don't forget to let it dry at least 24 hours! and BTW use the groundup brand charcoal gray spray, it looks better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode