What's your favorite wheel polish? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Question What's your favorite wheel polish?

I'm looking for a better wheel polish. I use the Powerball with Power Metal, and it just doesn't seem to shine very good. I'm looking for something that can give me the kind of shine I get from Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish that I use on my valve covers and air cleaner. I'd probably just use that but it comes in such a small container. What have you guys used?

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: What's your favorite wheel polish?

Alcoa's 3 step process, Oxidizer to remove corrosion, if needed, the polish and a soft T-shirt, followed by spraying with their preservative and hose it off. Shine stays for 6-8 months.

Used to use Mother's, by was coarser grit than Alcoa's polish. Mother's is a paste, Alcoa's is a slurry. If there is a rough/very dull spot, I'll use Mother's for a fast smoothing, then finish it using Alcoa's polish to a mirror finish.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 07, 07:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

flitz

Don't stop now!!!

67 camaro driver
383 10:1
Horsepower:
515 @ 5,500 rpm
Torque:
499 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 07, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech

Spit.....if that doesn't work, then Mother's

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 07, 07:58 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Bryan - I found using the power metal polish and power ball I was not happy with the results. I learned to follow up with a second application by hand. Just a wipe it on and wipe it off and my wheels sparkled. My guess is with the power ball we get carried away and over work the Power Metal.

I have been using windex and a micro fiber cloth for fast detailing to keep the wheels looking sharp between polishings. Since using Power Metal I have cut way back on frequency of polishings too...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 07, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Quote:
I have been using windex and a micro fiber cloth for fast detailing to keep the wheels looking sharp between polishings. Since using Power Metal I have cut way back on frequency of polishings too...
Exactly what I do too Dennis, I dampen the towel with windex to keep over spray off then wipe the wheels down. I also do this on all of the chrome on the engine.Bryan , as for polishing the wheels ,when they get real dull I use wenol in the red can to bring the shine back quick. then to make them sparkle like chrome I use a product called Hot Rims mag and aluminum polish from Meguiars. This stuff works great .

Russ
1969 RS conv,hugger orange,396 4 speed,373 12 bolt posi.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 07, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Flitz, for me two.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 07, 04:23 AM
Senior Tech

If the wheels just need to be brightened up and are not weathered Nevr Dull works great. Wear gloves though unless you want black fingernails for a while. As far as paste goes I'm surprised no votes for Simichrome (I think that's how you spell it) and Wenol.

Jack
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 11:08 AM

Exclamation Re: What's your favorite wheel polish?

Heres a vote for Simichrome. Is on the expensive side, but doesn't take alot to get good results. Most of my experience was with chrome. The other night, I was experimenting on some of my Reveal moldings, using 0000 steelwool and 1) some extremely old brasso and 2) Mothers metal polish for lubricity. Darned if it didn't seem that the ol'Brasso did as good. It looked nasty. As if it wasn't mixing back even by shaking. So I think I'll step out and see if I can find a small bit o fresh brasso before I spend the coin on the simichrome. Happy Motoring!.....PS, yeah, the Nevr Dull's quite good for the money. Kinda seems the more amonia smell, the better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode