Tire/Rim size help - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 07, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
don frazier

Tire/Rim size help

I have a 67 Camaro with a 396 in it that I am having some minor rub issues in the wheel well on the front passenger side.It is originally a 327 car. The car has 225/60/15 Radial T/A`s on 8" rims with a 4" backspace ( all the way around ). The car has had a disc brake conversion on the front, in addition to the front suspension being completely rebuilt ( all by the previous owner ). The front tires completely fill the wheel wells, while the rear has about a 3" space between top of wheel and top of wheel well opening (as veiwed from the side).The car also sits slightly higher in the back. I do not know much about what exactly the previous owner did to the car, but it almost seems like the front end was dropped a little bit. As the car sits, it drives and handles like a dream so I would hate to screw anything up. However, the rubbing issue needs to be fixed and it would be nice to get the car to sit more level and the gap between tire and wheel well opening more symetrical. Also, why would the front tire rub on the passenger side and not the driver side. It seems to rub on the bolt heads just inside the wheel well lip on the tops, and only does it when I hit a dip, bump or ripple in the road. I think a 4 1/2 " backspace might pull it in far enough to fix that problem, but not sure. Any advice on how to preceed? Anyone else ever encounter this problem? Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 07:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Tire/Rim size help

dfraz,

There are many with 1967's & 1968's who have encountered the same issues you have. Heck some with 1969's have as well. IMHO the best thing to do is put a 15x7 with the stock backspacing on it. I wasn't born yet when the 1967 Z28 rolled out of the factory but I believe the 1967 Z28 had E60x15's on it. This equates to P215/60R15 in a radial tire. I think in 1969 they went to F60x15 which equates to P 225/60R15 in a radial tire. Both the 1967's & 1969's and yes even the 1968 Z28 rode on 15x7 Rally's.

The 4 1/2" backspacing may be enough to fix it, but if you are going to change wheels I would go with a 15x7 Rally with the stock backspacing. Too many people in the tire & wheel thread have commented about issues with the 15x8 on all first gen's up front.

Good Luck!!

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech

8 inch wheels need 4 3/4 inches at least, ideally 4 7/8 inches of backspace (watch for rub on the frame). sounds like a wheel issue, not so much a tire issue. my 'bird does the same, only on the passenger side! go figure. on an interesting note, i took it around the block (very aggressively; sorry neighbors!) and had placed masking tape over the bolts to see if i could see 'witness marks' on them when i induced the rubbing. believe it or not, the tape was untouched! mine rubs in the wheel well just inside the fender. you might want to check yours to be sure, but lacking that much backspace, it probably is one of the body bolts. good luck and let us know what you find out!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
don frazier

Thanks for the advice. I will try the tape idea, that sounds pretty good. I think going from 8" to 7" might be the sure fire solution. What is the backspace on a stock 15x7 ralley? Would putting my current tires on 15x7 increase the overall height of the tire?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 06:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

On the front of a 67 or 68, with a 225 tire, you want a 7" rim with 4" backspace.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
don frazier

Does anybody know where I could purchase (2) 15x7 rally`s (Rims only) with 4" backspace? I checked a lot of sites and the only one I could find was at Ecklers and it looked like some generic one that had a bunch of bolt holes, so it would fit multiple cars. Thanks.

Last edited by dfraz; Aug 16th, 07 at 07:44 PM. Reason: more clarification
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech
bill

i got a 8 inch rally wheel . the rear wheels fit fine but the 235/70r 15 is to tight.in rear a 275/60 works fine.on monday trying the 225 70 15 ill tell you how it works out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereitis67 View Post
i got a 8 inch rally wheel . the rear wheels fit fine but the 235/70r 15 is to tight.in rear a 275/60 works fine.on monday trying the 225 70 15 ill tell you how it works out.
wouldn't 60 series be a better choice? or a 215/70 or 205/70? those tires you describe seem awfully tall...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode