Wheel Backspacing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Wheel Backspacing

I called the Tire Rack and they told me that a factory backspacing for a 67 Camaro is 3". They also told me that they will not sell a wheel with anything other than the OEM backspacing. What would be the benefit to having a larger backspace? I was wanting to use a 5" baclspace, but when Tire Rack told me it was 3", I started to wonder what the pros and cons are of a larger backspace. Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 07:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Wheel Backspacing

The "standard" wheel was a 14x6, 3" backspace, which works out to zero offset.

A 7" wide wheel with the same 3" "backspace" would be offset to the outside of the car by a full inch, and would certainly rub the outer lip of the fender.

There is room on the inside of the fender for more rubber. a 7" wide rim with 3 3/4" to 4" backspace will leave the outside of the wider tire just about where the stock rubber is, but fill more of the inside of the fenderwell.

I think your guys at Tire Rack need some talking to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

I was wanting to go with a 5" backspacing. I have read on TC that guys are running this without any rubbing. Will a 7" wide wheel look ok with a 5" backspace?

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 07:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Note that the currently used "backspace" term relies on and is affected by the width of the rim, and the difference between the width of the olf rim and the width of the new rim.

I like the old "offset" term much better. It assumed the mounting face of the wheel was centered in the rim width (zero offset) but could be offset from center in either a positive or negative direction to move the tire in and out in the wheelwell.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
I was wanting to go with a 5" backspacing. I have read on TC that guys are running this without any rubbing. Will a 7" wide wheel look ok with a 5" backspace?
With a 7" wide wheel, you want 4" of backspace, front or rear.

8" wheel 4 1/2" of backspace is good.

9" wheel (REAR ONLY!!!) 5- 5 1/2" backspace.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

The wheel size is 17x8 and this particular wheel has zero offset. It is an American Racing Torque Thrust M. I think it has a 4 1/2 backspace. Not a 5". Do you think I will have any rubbing issues with this setup?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
The "standard" wheel was a 14x6, 3" backspace, which works out to zero offset.
A 14" x 6" wheel with zero offset would have about 3.5" of backspacing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Yeah the guy said the OEM backspace was 3". American Racing's website says their Torque Thrust M 17x8 wheel has 4 1/2" backspace. I am going to run a 225/45 in the front and a 245/40 in the rear.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
Yeah the guy said the OEM backspace was 3". American Racing's website says their Torque Thrust M 17x8 wheel has 4 1/2" backspace. I am going to run a 225/45 in the front and a 245/40 in the rear.

That exact combo is what you need.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 08:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

note tho that an 8" rim is kinda big for a 225 tire. A 7" with 4" BS would work just as well, and wouldn't "pinch" the tire in at the rim.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

You really think it's too big for the 225? I was going by what Tire Rack said when you punch in your vehicle type. I don't think they make this wheel in a 17x7, but I am going to check.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

According to American Racing website, the wheel only comes in 8, 9, and 10.5 in the 17".

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

8 it is then.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 07, 11:55 AM

Smile Re: Wheel Backspacing

Fwiw, my stock steel 14" x 6" painted rims have 3.75" b/s'ing.

They are up on the shelf now out in my garage w/ my cheap, stock, "dog-dish", 3-dog-knot hubcaps!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode