trans am look tires - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

trans am look tires

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm building a '69 Camaro into a Trans Am style road/race car (stock body,without the widened/stretched fenders) The car sits real low & I was wondering what the best size 15" dia tires would be to fit it (probably 8x15" rims). I'm looking for as wide a tire as possible all round but as the car's low I don't want any rubbing issues between tire & fenders. (outer fender lips been folded up flush with the outer inner fender) What sort of tire size/backspacing would you recommend to fill the arches without rubbing? Any pics would be appreciated.... thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Re: trans am look tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzee28 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm building a '69 Camaro into a Trans Am style road/race car (stock body,without the widened/stretched fenders) The car sits real low & I was wondering what the best size 15" dia tires would be to fit it (probably 8x15" rims). I'm looking for as wide a tire as possible all round but as the car's low I don't want any rubbing issues between tire & fenders. (outer fender lips been folded up flush with the outer inner fender) What sort of tire size/backspacing would you recommend to fill the arches without rubbing? Any pics would be appreciated.... thanks guys
Welcome...sounds like an interesting project.
We are all vintage T/A nuts here...my buddy has a '69 Z/28 he bought new...here's his tribute to the Penske/Donohue championship car,he runs 275/50-15's on the rear but I have another friend running 295/50's on a 7" wide wheel...they all like the "buldge"...what can I tell ya!

Here's 295/50-15's on a '69 Boss 302...same owner as the Penske tribute car:

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Great shots dude!!!Nice one out the windshield of your chevelle.Gotta give credit too...thats one badass looking stang in front of you.An i like his license plate LOL

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67pat View Post
Great shots dude!!!Nice one out the windshield of your chevelle.Gotta give credit too...thats one badass looking stang in front of you.An i like his license plate LOL
Thanks man...that was a GREAT event that day cruising down the coast to Big Sur!:yes

Downtown Carmel:

Hurricane Point (windy as hell!):

Cruising down the coast behind Mary Pozzi's new '68 Camaro:

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 07, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the prompt reply John, the pics are great, I just love your yellow Camaro & your buddys blue one . What size front tires could I get away with & what size wheels are on your buddys blue one, do you know what the backspace is? I'm going to be running Minilites on mine & as you say,the "bulge" in the sidewall is cool & looks "period" for a TA car. Do the 295-50's fit on a '69 without minitubs, especially as on mine, the tires are up in the arches as it's so low? Sorry for so many questions, thanks......Nigel
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 07, 10:32 PM
BA.
Gold Lifetime Member
Allan

I used to run the 295/50 Goodrich T/A's on my 69 with no tubs, using a standard offset on an 8" rim and I had some contact on the outer lip. Enough to cut into the outer edge of the tire.

Sorry but I'm not sure how much room was available on the inner-wheelwell area. It's a real tight fit. I had air-shocks on the car back then.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 07, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Nigel,

Those are 15x7's all-around on the Blue Boss,I believe 265/50's in front and the 295/50's out back.I have a buddy running the same combo on his '69Z and no issues.You really got to make sure your fender lips are rolled real good.
These cars are all different so what works here may not work for you.
I believe the b/s on these old Americans are 3.75".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode