Center caps......how not to scratch??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 07, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Center caps......how not to scratch???

Hey guys, I just recieved a sew set of wheels and tires. Thru past experience with new wheels, when the center cap gets pushed thru the hole in the wheel, it gets those strait line scratches that looks hideous!

How does one go about pushing the cap thru the hole without this horror show from happening?

The wheel is aluminum and the center cap is steel chrome plated.

Thanks for any ideas,

Joe

1969 Camaro....LS1/T-56.............
In the early stages of Pro-Touring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Center caps......how not to scratch???

Maybe a little blue painters tape on th caps before puting 'em on, then peeling the tape off once you have the wheels on?
Maybe checking if the rims themselves have a sharp edge or a burr on the hub center you can smooth out just a tiny bit?
A combination of the two?
Thats my .02

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 04:10 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Other than opening up the center hole... I have no idea.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I've made that mistake once or twice or 4 times.. A brand new set of Mickey Thompson Alcoas. I wasn't pleasant to be around after that happened.

I would try the tape method if I were to do it again. Taping only up to the location that will be visable so all the tape can be removed after they are set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 07, 01:11 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Think about it...
Hole is so tight it scratches the cap... tape will only make the cap bigger (even .001) which I don't feel will help. Just my opinion.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 05:53 AM
Team Member
Christropher

If it's scratching because the hole is too tight, then I think the only choice would be to either just be extremely careful inserting the caps, or maybe use a die grinder and make the hole about a mil larger around, but not enough for it to become loose. Maybe try some type of lubricant to make it slide in easier if it's tight.
If it's not tight, then the tape should work I would think.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Think about it...
Hole is so tight it scratches the cap... tape will only make the cap bigger (even .001) which I don't feel will help. Just my opinion.
I would, wet sand and buff inside the hole first.
Then,
I would try the tape method (IMO)
I found some "super-slick" tape with teflon. Tape is 0.005" thick including adhesive. www.Mcmaster.com item # 6305a13. Available with acrylic or silicone adhesive. Otherwise, they have hundreds of other tapes.

If I couldn't do it without scratching them, I'd get different wheels and caps. (Alright, I am kidding about this part)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 07, 05:45 AM
Steve

Have you ever tried Vaseline before installing? Back in the day we did this to help with scratches and make it easier to install. Cleanup was minimal compared to grease. Also might try wrapping a strip of plastic bag around the cap before inserting and once on a heat gun to curl it back.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 07, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Hey thanks for all the tips guys. What I did was test the first one with no mods other than making sure the hole was absolutly clean. It slid right on thru with no scratches at all. I guess the nice work American Racing did with the CNC machine made it nice and smooth with no burrs.

Again, thanks guys,

Joe

1969 Camaro....LS1/T-56.............
In the early stages of Pro-Touring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode