Rally wheel center caps - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 07, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Rally wheel center caps

My 68 had rally wheels with center caps. The caps with "Chevorlet Motor Division" inscribed on them.
I want to know how to tell if the caps are original or after market repos. and what type of car they came from (Camaro or Vette etc)
Thanks
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 07, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

Re: Rally wheel center caps

The 68 and up Rally Center Caps are known as the Derby Caps. These caps were used on 68 and up Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, Corvette and Monte Carlo. The repros have a bowtie in the middle. The originals do not. Some repros are also made out of Plastic. The originals are all metal.
Tory
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 11, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

I just purchased three rally center caps from Ricks...best reproductions on the market...so it states. At first glance they look pretty good...nice finish all scripting is correct, hat is metal and not plastic.
....Here are the issues I have noticed...
1. The dish is smaller in diameter my about 1/4" ..hard to tell the diff. if you have a full set so not too much of a concern.
2. The lip around the dish is smaller orig 1/2" new 3/8" again can't really notice when all 4 new.
3. The dish depth is less...this become obvious if you look at the cap from the top...the "turbine effect" is lessened and you see the edge of the lower part of the cap...I am not sure why they changed this. Maybe for strength..the metal seems thicker.
4. The script on the top of the hat is correct but thicker letters.

If you get a set of 4 most people are not going to notice the small changes unless next to a car with original caps. The biggest obvious difference is the text that is thicker. I think the purchase was a good one but wanted to make as may people aware as possible of the differences.

See link for photos...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/387999...aro-ss/page-18

1968 Camaro SS 350 convertible, stroked to 383,
PS,PB, PW, PDL, PTL, houndstooth interior, tilt, A/C, am/fm, headrests....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 11, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs68 View Post
My 68 had rally wheels with center caps. The caps with "Chevorlet Motor Division" inscribed on them.
I want to know how to tell if the caps are original or after market repos. and what type of car they came from (Camaro or Vette etc)
Thanks
Jeff
Nice originals are easy to come by at almost any car flea market as so many were made over the years and many people sell the rally wheels, trim rings, and center caps separately. Nothing wrong with the repro's that I know of but if you can easily find originals at a similar or slightly higher price why not go for it. The inside of GM caps have the part # and other stampings at the bottom of the cap which I would assume the repro's do not.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 11, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I have the origs. and have have seen the swap meet variety...90% are trash or are dinged, pitted, paint faded what have you. All of the dishes I have seen have a dent or ding of some kind. If you see a set of perfect originals let me know...and how much they are asking...likely a mint. If you are going for a driver set slightly flawed originals are all fine but If you want to show it is nice to have a new looking set. For the price, about 50 ea., the repros look pretty good. It baffles me why they are made differently than the originals...must be a patent thing I guess.
No part number stamp in the inside on the repros but otherwise they look the same...even the 4 casting marks.
something to think about...

1968 Camaro SS 350 convertible, stroked to 383,
PS,PB, PW, PDL, PTL, houndstooth interior, tilt, A/C, am/fm, headrests....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 11, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech

Was gonna replace the orig caps...but after going into the archives, found several ways to spruce them up. This site is so great!

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 11, 08:15 AM

I found a neat set at Carlisle, the turbine length was less. they were in between the short cap and derby cap height, really neat looking. The guy that had them said they didn't get the proper ok's from GM and had to stop making them. He has 1 set left with a couple rust spots and the black paint missing on the script. He wanted 185.00 which was too much for being the display set. Has anyone saw these repro caps or know of where to get a set?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 11, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
john

cant you still get them at chevrolet?

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 11, 01:02 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Yes....3925801 is $156.65 (ea) plus s&h through GM Parts Direct....http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

Correct me if I'm wrong but believe the number on each cap is 3925805, which is just the center ornament.....46.27 through GMPD.

Ya see complete NOS sets quite often on ebay in the 400 +/-range...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 11, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech
John

I bought a set of NOS caps off E-Bay. They came in GM boxes. Which were re-taped. The center cap does not have the part # cast inside. Do all recently made NOS caps have the part # casted in them? And what do the repop caps look like inside? I'll post a pic of the inside of my cap once I get the camera back.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 11, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaroz28 View Post
Nice originals are easy to come by at almost any car flea market as so many were made over the years and many people sell the rally wheels, trim rings, and center caps separately. Nothing wrong with the repro's that I know of but if you can easily find originals at a similar or slightly higher price why not go for it. The inside of GM caps have the part # and other stampings at the bottom of the cap which I would assume the repro's do not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
I bought a set of NOS caps off E-Bay. They came in GM boxes. Which were re-taped. The center cap does not have the part # cast inside. Do all recently made NOS caps have the part # casted in them? And what do the repop caps look like inside? I'll post a pic of the inside of my cap once I get the camera back.
FYI, ORIGINAL PRODUCTION LINE installed rally wheel caps have a double rib inside, and have the GM part number and say made in Canada, later versions have a single rib ( like Chicks picture ) with the part number and in the last 10 years or so, the part number has dissapeared.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.

Last edited by rszmjt; Dec 12th, 11 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode