What type of Tire are you guys using? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

What type of Tire are you guys using?

I am getting ready to put a set of Vintage Wheel Works V45s on my 68 Camaro. I am wondering what tires to look at. I have 16 by 8 and I am pretty sure about the size. My problem is that I always buy BFG T A radials. I was wondering if any of the other brands with more modern tread design might be better handling and riding. The 50 series would be my tire of choice and I was looking at several summer only tires. My car will never see snow. I am not looking for a stock look.
What are you guys buing these days at reasonable prices. 130 to 170 dollar range. or less!

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: What type of Tire are you guys using?

I'm using Bridgestone Potenza RE750's. They are a well respected tire. I think I paid around $700 locally out the door - maybe slightly higher.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Just bought a set of Nitto's Extreme 555's (245/45/17 & 275/40/17) for $550 out the door price. Although, I'll be waiting a few weeks for my new wheels to arrive.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech

If you wanna go a little cheaper, I have BFG g-force sport
about $100 each

I went to tirerack.com and read a ton of reviews before deciding on these
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

It would be nice if I could use Tirerack but they are not in Canada. Most of the tires have not come down in price yet since the dollar is at par. When it does I will jump on it.
I priced the G-force here and it was a lot higher. I was more interested in how the tires perform with the newer designed tread patterns.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 05:59 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I like to buy tires locally.

I wasn't sure if the 275/40-17's would fit my car. My local Firestone dealer mounted the tires on the rims but didn't balance them. He said if they didn't fit, and as long as I hadn't driven on them, he would take them back and exchange them for the next smaller size, and he set no time limit. I thought that was a pretty darn good deal.

I priced them through Tie Rack, and after you add shipping, mounting and balancing, I was going to save less than $10. Worth it to me to buy locally.

PS the 275's fit perfectly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Cooper Tires
Click here for the website

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I like to buy tires locally.

I wasn't sure if the 275/40-17's would fit my car. My local Firestone dealer mounted the tires on the rims but didn't balance them. He said if they didn't fit, and as long as I hadn't driven on them, he would take them back and exchange them for the next smaller size, and he set no time limit. I thought that was a pretty darn good deal.

I priced them through Tie Rack, and after you add shipping, mounting and balancing, I was going to save less than $10. Worth it to me to buy locally.

PS the 275's fit perfectly.
I agree, Al. Although, I must admit I always buy where I save money 99.9% of the time . A new tire place opened just weeks ago...less than 1 mile from my house! I stopped in there yesterday for the hell of it...only hoping to perhaps catch a "grand opening" deal or something. Nope. Instead, I found a new business owner who was eager to please and he was very professional. AND...he beat everyone's (including on-line) prices on the tires I wanted. I couldn't believe it. He's selling me the rear tires for $30 less than a local Goodyear dealer BUYS them! How screwed up is that? Goodyear had him beat on the fronts by $17ea, so when I told him this, he searched "other warehouses" on his PC and came within $1. Done deal. He's my new tire guy

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 07, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

I went to a dealer yesterday and they had the Cooper Zeon 2XS for a reasonable price. I priced 17 inch tires for my Son's Mazda 3 Sport and this guy beat everybody on price by close to 200 on a set. We bought the Coopers and my son is quite happy with them.
Over the last several years I have been buying from smaller local shops that have more than one brand available. I had a set of BFGs on my 69 Camaro and they looked too small. I took them back and he replaced them with a 70 series. I had put about 50 miles on them and he said he had a buyer for them at the full price so there was no charge. He even mounted and balanced them again for free. I bought coffee and donuts for the shop that day.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 07, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

If you are a fan of RWL and look at the Coopers, make note that only certain sizes have RWL.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 07, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

I looked at the coopers and the RWL does not look as nice as the BFGs but I am looking for a straight black sidewall, with the v45s I think It will look great. It is also a lot easier to keep them black without having to mess with the white letters.
Any other brands out there that you guys have found to be reasonably priced yet good performing?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 07, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech

I will never buy the Gforce TA's again they plain suck for traction , I ran Nitto 555 and they are great , i now have a set of the nitto 555r and they hook very nice a look great on my vintage 45's .
Mark.

pictures can be viewed at
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 07, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech
John

I had good results with Road Hugger GT Radials from discount tire company. I wanted raised white letter tires.

I had a cheap set of Cooper tires on a daily driver car, (import) and didn't like the way they handled or looked after I had em for a bit, but, I got what I paid for on those so it'd be unfair to judge them by that experience. Think of it as comparing apples to oranges, wasn't a fair comparison. I like raised white letters. Theirs look o.k.

I'm considering Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for my next set of raised white letter type tires. Anybody try these?

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 07, 01:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Some of the tires discussed are great but not available in 16's. I have VWW V45 16" and am going with either Toyo RA1 or Nitto N01 in a 245/50-16 or 255/50-16.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 07, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech

i think BFG radial T/A's look the best.

I have Firestone Firehawk 500's, they handle great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode