Help me decide :) - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 07, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,081
Help me decide :)

I've got some time to kill while I wait a few weeks for new wheels. I've already got the new tires to go with them at a local dealer, and it would be easy enough to change before I get my wheels. Here's what's bugging me a bit:

I changed my mind about lowering the car until next year, if at all. As the pic I'll post will show, it sits up a bit...kinda old school. I currently have 215/65/15 up front & 255/60/15 rear. I'm switching to 17x8 & 17x9.5...and the tires I have waiting are 245/45 & 275/40.

Now, I'm sure I won't have fitment issues with the car not lowered...but even if I eventually do, this combo has worked on several other lowered 69's (Hotchkis, anyway) and should be fine. The choice tires size I'm toying with changing to is...235/45 & 255/40. This would certainly pose no fitment issue at present or if I lowered it. It would also give me a rear tire that would get me within 3-4mph of actual speed on the speedo. BUT..... I don't want to be "forced" to lower it because the 235/255 combo looks a bit small. Can you kinda see what I'm anguishing over here? LOL. So...what would you do? Here's a side pic:


Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 07, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Al
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Vancouver, USA
Posts: 10,511
Re: Help me decide :)

If you have any real problem, it will be in the rear with the 275's. Do some careful measuring to see if the rear sits square in the car, i.e. the same distance from side to side. If it's within 1/4" or so, you should be fine, providing you have the correct BS on the wheels. Mine was off by about that - I had to very slightly trim the lip on the pass side quarter. My tires have not rubbed.

On the fronts, you "might" have the tire hit the subframe on a tight corner with the 245's, again depending on backspacing. I went with 235/45's, and it was very close. I made some adjustable steering stops because my aftermarket UCA's were hitting the wheels and wiping off the balance weights, so it's not a problem, although my steering radius is diminshed.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BPOS is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 07, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
Tim
 
Havin' Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SW of Chicago
Posts: 1,075
Re: Help me decide :)

I am going to just throw out an opinion based solely on your description:
235/45 & 255/40


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Havin' Fun is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 07, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,081
Re: Help me decide :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
If you have any real problem, it will be in the rear with the 275's. Do some careful measuring to see if the rear sits square in the car, i.e. the same distance from side to side. If it's within 1/4" or so, you should be fine, providing you have the correct BS on the wheels. Mine was off by about that - I had to very slightly trim the lip on the pass side quarter. My tires have not rubbed.

On the fronts, you "might" have the tire hit the subframe on a tight corner with the 245's, again depending on backspacing. I went with 235/45's, and it was very close. I made some adjustable steering stops because my aftermarket UCA's were hitting the wheels and wiping off the balance weights, so it's not a problem, although my steering radius is diminshed.
I believe I have the proper back spacing (4.75" & 5.5"). After seeing the 245/275 combos in the sticky up top, I don't recall anyone saying they had issues with rubbing...or that they adjusted anything for it to work. And this was with the car lowered using Hotchkis front/rear. So, I'm really hoping that without the car being lowered that it'll be an easy fit. I haven't actually paid for the tires yet, so I can always swap em'. But I think this guy would also swap at the time I had em' put on if there were any issues. Heck, I'd save a few bucks going with 235/255's....but I'm afraid the wells will look ...um...emptier somehow since it's not lowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havin' Fun View Post
I am going to just throw out an opinion based solely on your description:
235/45 & 255/40
Would you mind elaborating on why this ^ is your opinion based on what I've said & the pic?

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 07, 09:02 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis
 
DjD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Fortuna, CA
Posts: 26,461
Garage
Re: Help me decide :)

You're going to put 17's on your car and in a couple months you'll be figuring out where to get the money for new headers and drop springs... I don't think your car will look bad the way it is (not like an '80s Monte lifted on 20's) with 17's but the short sidewalls cry out for fender lip on a '69.

Use this calc and build in a 275/40 17 and a 255/45(not 40) 17 and compare. Don't fuss over backspacing you have that figured out already... http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

8/10th inch section width difference and the 255/45 is 4/10th inch taller. Tread width is not addressed but it's about a half inch between the 2 on a 9.5" wheel. The taller tire will give you more ground clearence once you do lower the suspension.

Do the same with the front tires sizes 245/45 and 235/45, there's about 1/10th diff in height and 3/10ths in section width.

We all want that wide tire look and handling, I think being conservative is better if you load your trunk or carry people around in the car... A half inch to 8/10th inch makes a world of difference in between the fenders...

Oh I almost forgot, white needs shinny to set it off. Chrome is cool, good polished alum just has a depth to it chrome doesn't have.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 07, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,081
Re: Help me decide :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
You're going to put 17's on your car and in a couple months you'll be figuring out where to get the money for new headers and drop springs... I don't think your car will look bad the way it is (not like an '80s Monte lifted on 20's) with 17's but the short sidewalls cry out for fender lip on a '69.
Damn it, I know all too well that you're right


Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD
Use this calc and build in a 275/40 17 and a 255/45(not 40) 17 and compare. Don't fuss over backspacing you have that figured out already... http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

8/10th inch section width difference and the 255/45 is 4/10th inch taller. Tread width is not addressed but it's about a half inch between the 2 on a 9.5" wheel. The taller tire will give you more ground clearence once you do lower the suspension.

Do the same with the front tires sizes 245/45 and 235/45, there's about 1/10th diff in height and 3/10ths in section width.

We all want that wide tire look and handling, I think being conservative is better if you load your trunk or carry people around in the car... A half inch to 8/10th inch makes a world of difference in between the fenders...
Yep, I used Wheelmaster when I first decided. So all in all...you're advocating 235/45 & 255/45...correct? I'm pretty sure you're running 235/45 & 255/40..and of course, have a 69'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD
Oh I almost forgot, white needs shinny to set it off. Chrome is cool, good polished alum just has a depth to it chrome doesn't have.
Yep, that's what I've heard. I had a 79' Z28 years ago that had the white wheels and I liked the look. Thanks, Dennis

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 07, 10:17 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis
 
DjD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Fortuna, CA
Posts: 26,461
Garage
Re: Help me decide :)

I started out with 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 but after mounting them we couldn't make the front's not rub so I switched to 235/45. I could live with it and no additional cost to me since the car never left the shop. The car was already dropped in the front and even though others ran 245's they wouldn't work on my car. Then I lowered the rear and the 275's on drum brakes were scrubbing the inner fender with a load in the car. I swapped to 245/45's and gained some clearence but it cost me for a set of tires. Next I replaced subframe bushings and found out why the 245's wouldn't fit. My old bushings were almost completely gone. Then I did the disc conversion in the rear and gained the clearence for the inside the 275/40's needed but ended up trimming the fender lip even with the 255/45's. I've since added subframe connectors and that's stiffened the latteral flex in the convertible and now might be able to get away with 245/45 and 275/40 on the car but in my mind the differences in tread width is so small I think I would stay with the 234/45 and 255/45.

I believe a more ridged coupe might fit the 245/45 and 275/40 ever so slightly better than the ragtop but don't have the experience I do with the ragtop...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 07, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,081
Re: Help me decide :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I started out with 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 but after mounting them we couldn't make the front's not rub so I switched to 235/45. I could live with it and no additional cost to me since the car never left the shop. The car was already dropped in the front and even though others ran 245's they wouldn't work on my car. Then I lowered the rear and the 275's on drum brakes were scrubbing the inner fender with a load in the car. I swapped to 245/45's and gained some clearence but it cost me for a set of tires. Next I replaced subframe bushings and found out why the 245's wouldn't fit. My old bushings were almost completely gone. Then I did the disc conversion in the rear and gained the clearence for the inside the 275/40's needed but ended up trimming the fender lip even with the 255/45's. I've since added subframe connectors and that's stiffened the latteral flex in the convertible and now might be able to get away with 245/45 and 275/40 on the car but in my mind the differences in tread width is so small I think I would stay with the 234/45 and 255/45.

I believe a more ridged coupe might fit the 245/45 and 275/40 ever so slightly better than the ragtop but don't have the experience I do with the ragtop...
Thanks for the additional explanation, Dennis. Those are just the kind of things I was interested in hearing about.

I already have a subframe, and the bushings are fairly new. I even went and looked this morning and believe it will accept the 275's on the rear woth no problem, and I usually ride alone, too. However, as you put it, I think I can live with the 235/255 combo. And the 255/45 rear will give me comparable height to what I have now. This way, I won't be sweating having to much, if any, tweaking if/when I do lower it. Thanks again!

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 07, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech
Tim
 
Havin' Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SW of Chicago
Posts: 1,075
Re: Help me decide :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
Would you mind elaborating on why this ^ is your opinion based on what I've said & the pic?
I thought more on the conservative side because you didn't seem convinced you were going to lower it, and seem concerned about the rub.
There lies the problem with my "opinion".
I wish I had more experience in what you are trying to accomplish, but again, I thought I would throw out an "opinion" since that is what you asked for suited to your application.
And I think DjD just said it best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD
now might be able to get away with 245/45 and 275/40 on the car but in my mind the differences in tread width is so small I think I would stay with the 235/45 and 255/45.
With that said, I intend to closely monitor your decision because I need to know what will fit under mine up front on a lowered car that will compliment some 315s out back.

And just like yourself, I will also be "anguishing" over here when that time comes.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Havin' Fun is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,081
Re: Help me decide :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havin' Fun View Post
With that said, I intend to closely monitor your decision because I need to know what will fit under mine up front on a lowered car that will compliment some 315s out back.

And just like yourself, I will also be "anguishing" over here when that time comes.

HF, I've actually still been anguishing over this, lol. I just dropped by the tire place and the owner assures me it won't be a problem to swap/change sizes if I have rubbing issues. Therefore, I will wait and see how the 245/275 combo works first, before reverting to 235/255. Of course, if they fit fine...then I'll have to consider if they'll fit if the car is lowered, LOL!

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech
Tim
 
Havin' Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SW of Chicago
Posts: 1,075
Re: Help me decide :)

Make sure you have the camera in hand when the final decision is made (Or made for you if it doesn't work out).
I'd like to see the 245/275 combo work out,
ESPECIALLY after you lower it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Havin' Fun is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,081
Re: Help me decide :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havin' Fun View Post
Make sure you have the camera in hand when the final decision is made (Or made for you if it doesn't work out).
I'd like to see the 245/275 combo work out,
ESPECIALLY after you lower it.
I'd like to see the 245/275 work, also. But I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen; They'll fit fine as the car currently sits. Then, when I go to lower it...either the front or both, won't.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tim
 
Havin' Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SW of Chicago
Posts: 1,075
Re: Help me decide :)

I think the most important question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you are going to lower it.
And once you decide, you will have the solution to the problem.

IMO- Lower it a touch.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Havin' Fun is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 07, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,081
Re: Help me decide :)

Just an update here: After talking with a member here yesterday, who is running 245/275 combo on a lowered 69', it turns out that he had to roll the lip of the rear wells to fit 275's. I'm glad I was made aware of this before proceeding. And....because my wheels came in today! They said 6-8wks, and it took less than 2wks. I immediately called the tire guy and told him I want 235/45/17 & 255/45/17 combo. He won't get them til' Monday, but that's cool, as I didn't have time to do anything except run around today, anyway. I'll post a pic in here when I have a chance next week. It probably won't look quite right being too high, but.........

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
dbx1969 is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 07, 01:57 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: right of center
Posts: 993
Re: Help me decide :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
Just an update here: After talking with a member here yesterday, who is running 245/275 combo on a lowered 69', it turns out that he had to roll the lip of the rear wells to fit 275's. I'm glad I was made aware of this before proceeding. And....because my wheels came in today! They said 6-8wks, and it took less than 2wks. I immediately called the tire guy and told him I want 235/45/17 & 255/45/17 combo. He won't get them til' Monday, but that's cool, as I didn't have time to do anything except run around today, anyway. I'll post a pic in here when I have a chance next week. It probably won't look quite right being too high, but.........

i think that was me! i had to roll the lip because of the 17x9 with only a 5 inch backspace. i wish wheel vintiques would offer a 5 1/2 backspace, cuz i would have taken that instead! see the sig for a profile pic. this is dropped with global west springs front and back: 1 1/4 inch rear drop and 1 inch front drop (advertised drop, of course).
guccieng is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome