Correct tires for a 69 ss big block - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Correct tires for a 69 ss big block

What are the correct tires for a 69 ss big block? It's a Sept 69 convt car 4 speed car.
Goodyear f70-14 wide tread or
Goodyear f70-14 polyglass?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech
William

Re: Correct tires for a 69 ss big block

Chevrolet used a number of different RWL tires for the 1969 Camaro SS; all F70 x 14:

Firestone, Uniroyal Tiger Paw, Goodyear Wide Tread GT [2 styles are known], also red stripe and white stripe were optional.

Academic since the only tire available today that is close is the Goodyear Wide Tread. There is disagreement about the Goodyear Polyglas; no 1969 Camaro is known to have been built with them but I believe the possibility exists.

William

CRG
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Donald

I have two sets that I run on my X22 SS depending on how far I am driving.

First set are Firestone redlines, F70X14 which are correct for the car. Since these tires are bias-ply I only use them for the big judged shows or short distances.

Second set are BFG redlines, P215R70/14 which are real close in size to the F70's. I really like these tires as the ride is great and they handle. Just got back from a 500 mile round trip and they performed great.

Both sets are on 14X7 ralley wheels which is the correct size wheel for the SS.

Both sets came from Cokers.

Donald
'69 SS396, X22, 50/50, 729

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 10:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Yeah, 'P's are great but they weren't invented in 69. Came out shortly there-after. Not sure of the date. Old age, you know.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 07, 02:57 AM
Senior Tech
Donald

I think the radial tire came out in 1970 or around that time but definitely was not offered by GM for 1969 Camaros. I did not make my point very clear, I run with the bias ply for the judged shows and the radials for when the tire type does not matter. Sorry for any confusion.

I found the following on the web:

Michelin first introduced steel-belted radial tires in Europe in 1948. Radial tires are so named because the ply cords radiate at a 90 degree angle from the bead cord, and the casing is strengthened by a belt of steel fabric that runs around the circumference of the tire. In radial tire design the ply cords are made of nylon, rayon, or polyester.

In 1966, Michelin struck a deal with Sears to manufacture radial tires for sale under the Allstate label and within four years Sears was selling one million units per year. In the mid-1960s, B.F. Goodrich embraced radial technology as a means to win market share from its larger rivals, and the company introduced the first American-made radial in the mid-1960s and supported the launch with the Radial Age advertising campaign in 1968.

The August 1968 Consumer Reports awarded its top two spots to radials and documented the new technology's longer life, increased safety, handling and economy relative to even top-of-the-line bias-ply tires.

The advantages of radial tires include longer tread life, better steering characteristics, and less rolling resistance, which increases gas mileage. On the other hand, radials have a harder riding quality, and technologically are more complex than bias-ply tires, so they cost more to produce.

Donald
'69 SS396, X22, 50/50, 729

Last edited by 3rail; Oct 9th, 07 at 07:24 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 07, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Would the goodyear wide tread tires that Kelsey tire sells be the right tire that would be correct for a 69 ss in a judged show? If not, Who sells the correct tire?
Thanks for everything
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 07, 07:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Kelsey is the only place that makes Goodyears. As far as correct, I dont know, but I think there is one wide tread that they sell that is close or accepted.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode