They don't fit! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill-E-BoB
They don't fit!

My new rims arrived today...BEAUTIFUL AR TTII's with Riken Raptor tires. Fronts are 17x7" with 4" bs and 225/45zr17 tires
Rears are 17x9.5" with 5.5" bs and 275/40zr17 tires.

Only had a few minutes to mount 'em on the car, so I haven't even tried the fronts yet...but the rears are not such good news. They look GREAT, but the inside rear of 'em both rub on my exhaust pipes. Whats the best way to bend the pipes out of the way, and how much clearance should I have?

Aside from the fact that they don't fit, I love 'em...here's a pic, just don't expect it to roll too far right now.

Oh yes indeed...I'm as confused as you think I am.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 06:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: They don't fit!

nice...I love the look of TT's...

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Bill, I hate to tell you, but I don't 4" BS for the fronts are going to fit either. Well....they're 7" wide fronts? Maybe they will. My current 7" Rallys are 4.25 BS.

As far as the pipes? I was joking with another member here today about that. I think he had the same issue, and I might have too when I get mine in a couple of days. I guess I'd see how much room you have to push/shim the pipe awya. If you can't do it, a quick trip to a local muffler shop should be pretty cheap (like...$40-$50 max) to move both. You'll be okay. Yeah, they look beautiful!

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Are the tail pipes single piece, or multi-piece slip fit and clamped together? If the latter, it might be possible to rearrange them yourself. An inch should plenty of clearance. If they're solid one piece, it sounds like a trip to the muffler shop.

One of the MANY pitfalls of modifying these old heaps!

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Kevin,
I've got a pretty good feeling about the fronts, they're just barely taller & slightly narrower than the ones I had on there before, which had plenty of clearance...so don't jinx me. Didn't have time to put them on, I had to get back to work once I got home, so I just tried throwing the rears on. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town all weekend so I can't mess with anything until monday.

Al,
They're 1 piece, welded together from the headers all the way back to the tail pipes. Clamps would have made my life too easy...the previous owners wouldn't want to do that.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 08:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The fronts will fit fin, so will the rears after you rearrange the plumbing.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I second JimM on the fronts. I just ordered the same set of wheels and tires but my fronts are 8's. I was lucky enough to have my exhaust put on about 6 months ago thats when my muffler guy asked me "how big is the wheel I was dreaming about?" The reason why he said with the 3in pipe he wanted to wait till I got the wheels to do the muffler back.

BILL-E-BOB How long did it take to get them in?

Most recent 01/01/10

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-E-BoB View Post
Kevin,
I've got a pretty good feeling about the fronts, they're just barely taller & slightly narrower than the ones I had on there before, which had plenty of clearance...so don't jinx me.
Nah, wouldn't do that, Bill . I realized as I was typing that you had 7" fronts. I should have just deleted the first sentence/thought! I'm getting 255's for my rear, so I'm pretty sure I can dodge this same issue.

I have a local muffler guy who just charged me $40 to weld a cat back in my son's RX7 (yeah, he has to take it out after he passes inspection to gain more HP, lol). I don't think he'd charge me more than $20 to move those pipes a tad.

69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 09:46 PM

Think about taking a 16" pair of Channel-loc's and ovaling you tailpipe tips first!! Up about at least 4"s..

I've had to do this!!

Next, please consider cheap spacers if NEEDED??

BUT I would use longer stock dia. studs OR 1/2" jobbers to see you through this!!

And I did after I mounted my Pony-Car, Bullitt rims!!

pdq67

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Think about taking a 16" pair of Channel-loc's and ovaling you tailpipe tips first!! Up about at least 4"s..

I've had to do this!!

BUT I would use longer stock dia. studs OR 1/2" jobbers to see you through this!!

pdq67
Pdq, with all due respect, why would someone want to use spacers, longer studs, or 1/2 "jobbers" if they can have them properly moved for probably less than $40?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 11:21 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

I would pick up some flowmaster tails. They are mandrel bent and go for 99 bones from Summit. They fit perfect with my 18x10's and 5.75 bs wheels.

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 07, 09:12 AM

My stock tailpipes were factory ovaled like I had to do my 2.5" tailpipes that exit in the stock position.

Next, spacers can be used if you don't want to screw with rebuilding your tailpipes!!

That said, I WOULD either use longer studs to take into account the spacers or from a safety standpoint, use 1/2" studs AND I had to b/c my wheels are now Mustang Pony-Car, "Bullitts" that have are a 4.5" bolt pattern, 1/2" stud type due to them being FORD!!

And don't start b/c I PERSONALLY think the Pony-Car "Bullitt" rims are just about the prettiest retro wheel going!! And if I would have known it, I wold have bought VERDA Chevy bolt pattern, Bullitt knock-off's!!!!!

Heck, I don't think any Chevy rims can compare to them IMHO!!!!!!!!!!

pdq67

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

You guys are right, fronts fit with absolutely no problem. If anything, they're too small. I think I may end up lowering it an inch or so to get less of a gap at the wheel well. 1" drop spindles would be the best way to do this, right? Especially considering I'm going to convert to disc brakes so the spindles are comin' out anyway. Until the disc brake conversion, it looks great now & has no clearance issues up front, so I'm in no big hurry to lower it...but those back ones definately need attention before the car hits the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideynut View Post
I second JimM on the fronts. I just ordered the same set of wheels and tires but my fronts are 8's. I was lucky enough to have my exhaust put on about 6 months ago thats when my muffler guy asked me "how big is the wheel I was dreaming about?" The reason why he said with the 3in pipe he wanted to wait till I got the wheels to do the muffler back.

BILL-E-BOB How long did it take to get them in?
How long to get what in? You mean delivery of the rims? Only about 3 days, but I bought them from a TC member, not a store. As far as getting them in the car, 5 minutes or so...except for the right rear which still isn't in because of the clearance issues. Left rear is on there, but won't spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post

I've had to do this!!

pdq67
Is there anything inherently wrong with ovalling the pipes? I thought about doing that, but didn't want to do it the "wrong" way. I figured I'd just take 2 plates of 1/4" steel to keep it flat & clamp 'em down until there's clearance. The guy that put the headers on banged 'em flat around spark plug holes, so I figure flattening it that far back in the exhaust system won't do any harm right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
Nah, wouldn't do that, Bill . I realized as I was typing that you had 7" fronts. I should have just deleted the first sentence/thought! I'm getting 255's for my rear, so I'm pretty sure I can dodge this same issue.

I have a local muffler guy who just charged me $40 to weld a cat back in my son's RX7 (yeah, he has to take it out after he passes inspection to gain more HP, lol). I don't think he'd charge me more than $20 to move those pipes a tad.
That'd be awsome if you were on the right side of town for me. Maybe I can find a local guy who'd do it that cheap also...I'll call around.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-E-BoB View Post
I think I may end up lowering it an inch or so to get less of a gap at the wheel well. 1" drop spindles would be the best way to do this, right? Especially considering I'm going to convert to disc brakes so the spindles are comin' out anyway. Until the disc brake conversion, it looks great now & has no clearance issues up front, so I'm in no big hurry to lower it...but those back ones definately need attention before the car hits the streets.
Bill, since you're going to convert to discs, you might want to use drop spindles, but read this informative article and I think you can better choose which way you should go: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...olet_lowering/

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 04:34 PM

BE really careful trying to run dropped spindles b/c the tie-rod ends CAN hit the inner rim lips!!!!! DO YOUR HOMEWORK HERE!!!

Bttt..

I mentioned all this b/c I thought that he bought a pair of rear rims that caused rubbing! Usually you can't send them back once mounted so then have to buy correct B/S rims at added cost!

What I mentioned is my old "shade-tree" ways of getting around this problem!!

I would probably buy GOOD, (READ, expensive, billet adapters), if I needed an inch or more clearance and be done w/ it.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode