17" TTIIs on DSE suspension (3" drop) - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

17" TTIIs on DSE suspension (3" drop)

OK guys, heres the situation,

I have a 67 Camaro and could use some advice or rather comforting words on Wheel/Tire sizes with Backspacing. I know that there is probably information posted here that covers this but I just wanted to get some information that was specific to the 67 Camaro and the suspension that I will be installing on my car.

Suspension:

I have ordered and received the following today from DSE.
Speed Kit 1
Rear Leaf Spring Suspension Kit (3" Drop)
Heavy Duty Rear Axle U-Bolts (Stainless)
1/2 Height Body Mounts with Stainless Hardware.

The Wheels that I plan to use are the Torq Thrust IIs in 17".
When I was on the phone with DSE they told me that I could run:

Front: 17x8 w/ 5 1/4 BS
Rear: 17x9 w/ 5 1/4 BS
17x9.5 w/ 5 3/4 BS (would be tight) (*prefered*)

I trust DSE but am a little paranoid.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or pictures of this setup that would give me an Idea of what to expect when everything is finished.

Thanks in advance,
Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 17" TTIIs on DSE suspension (3" drop)

I would trust DSE's advise. They have an excellent reputation and provide good customer service. The front backspace they suggest is a little deeper than the 4.75 that a lot of forum members are using. The rear backspace is also a 1/4" deeper than most run. I don't think a TTII comes in 9" wide. If you want the same look as the TTII's in a 9" wheel check out Vintage Wheel Works they make 2 wheels the style of the TTIIs that you may want to consider. I'll say what I always do these cars are all a little different and available space will vary from car to car as well as side to side. If you're off better to be off with too much backspace (you can always use a small spacer) than not enough (you would have to rehoop the wheels or buy another set of wheels). Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jack
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

What are the tire sizes they said you could run with those wheels. Tire size is going to have allot to do with what backspace your going to use. You may also want to ask about the type of wheel they are suggesting with the combo. I could see wheel manufactures being off a little in back space. Since some wheels are coming from China I don't think I would comportable with a brand like coys for instance.

I wish I could tell you more, those are just some of my concerns. I have a 67 and have not gone wheel shoping yett. I really think DSE is a good start maybe a few more questions to ask of them though or provide more info about what your wanting to them.

What else are you running or not running control arm wise? inner fenders? big brakes? springs in front/coil overs? There are so many things that affect what you can run and what you can't, even wheels as some might be a 17 or 18 but have 16 inch centers.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 03:14 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
I would trust DSE's advise. They have an excellent reputation and provide good customer service.
I would not trust DSE's advice. Nothing against them, but I've been through this once with Discount Tire company. And when I finally ordered my wheels from a different local dealer, the guy was skeptical when I gave him back spacing #s for TTII's, so I asked him to verify with American Racing. When I asked what they said, he replied, "They said your back spacing numbers are dead on." AR is familiar with the fit on 1st gen cars. Many other auto people are not!

If it were me, I'd verify directly from the people I'm buying the wheels from. After all, they're the ones you're going to go to if they don't work, right?

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech

Smile Re: 17" TTIIs on DSE suspension (3" drop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
I would not trust DSE's advice. Nothing against them, but I've been through this once with Discount Tire company. And when I finally ordered my wheels from a different local dealer, the guy was skeptical when I gave him back spacing #s for TTII's, so I asked him to verify with American Racing. When I asked what they said, he replied, "They said your back spacing numbers are dead on." AR is familiar with the fit on 1st gen cars. Many other auto people are not!

If it were me, I'd verify directly from the people I'm buying the wheels from. After all, they're the ones you're going to go to if they don't work, right?
It's not my intention to to get in a verbal gymnastics contest but I would not compare a company like Discount Tire with Detroit Speed in their knowledge of 1st gen F bodies. As far as the wheel manufacturer or dealer taking responsibility for fitment with custom backspace that is on who ever orders them. They do not guarantee fitment because of all the variables like brakes pushing the wheels out further - non original sheet metal - ride height ect. If there are tires mounted on them you own them no matter what. I also included in my response what most of the cars on the forum are using and that was different from what DSE suggested. The bottom line is all these cars are a little different and unless you want to go conservative like 7" wheels in the front and 8" wheels in the back you need to check each one and both sides at that. Again it's not my intention to offend anybody. I'm speaking from experience and I think we all know how expensive it can be to gain experience.

Jack
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
It's not my intention to to get in a verbal gymnastics contest but I would not compare a company like Discount Tire with Detroit Speed in their knowledge of 1st gen F bodies.
No problem with the comeback . There were several details I didn't mention in my post, and I realize now how it sounded comparing Discount Tire to DSE, lol. My basic personal observation was that several dealers who order wheels and tires everyday for cars, including muscle cars, can easily screw it up when it comes to back spacing. Also, his stated back spacing that DSE gave him for the fronts at 5.25" kinda caught my attention. Probably spot-on, but I thought it was a little deep, and that's what really prompted me to make the post to begin with. Better safe than sorry.

Anyway, in my limited experience with this, what made me comfortable was the wheel manufacturer themselves, AR, who make custom back spaced/bolt pattern wheels for muscle cars every day. It's all good .

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up dbx1969 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
No problem with the comeback . There were several details I didn't mention in my post, and I realize now how it sounded comparing Discount Tire to DSE, lol. It's all good .
Both relieved and happy that's how you took it! It's very hard to express how you're saying something when all you can read are the words. I don't have to tell you what happens on a lot of these forums when replys are taken as they read instead of how they're meant. Thanks!

Jack
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Some what off the subject. I was going through Summits Web site and found they offer a part # for TT 2's in the 17 x 9.5 with 5.5 bs on 4 3/4 bolt pattern. I thought that was kinda cool seeing so many of us ordering those wheels their almost not custom bs anymore.

Most recent 01/01/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 07, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

Guys,

I'm sorry that I haven't responded in such a while. I have to go to the library to use the net. Thanks for responding.

Joe,

I believe the Tire sizes that they recommended were:
(I have them written down at the house)

245/40/17 Front
275/40/17 Rear

JV69z/28rs,

You are right, TTIIs don't come in a 9" wheel. I found this out when I went to Goodyear. The guy I spoke to also called the local warehouse to see if there was a number that I could call to have a custom set made. He said that AR would have to make a mold to create that wheel and didn't see that as profitable to just make one set of wheels. He did say that because of the high demand the 17x9.5 5 1/2 BS Wheel was created JUST for the 67-69 Camaro.

NOTE - that is for stock height and said that because I would be dropping the car I would probably run in to clearance issues.

As far as brakes are concerned I unfortunately have 4 way drums, which I will be changing later. I'm thinking about the Baer track system up front but I can't change the brakes right now because I currently have 14" Crager S/S up front and the track system wouldn't fit. But if I change the wheels first and then the brakes, wouldn't that change the offset of the wheel a little?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 07, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

[QUOTE=Mean_Gene3;876541]Guys,

NOTE - that is for stock height and said that because I would be dropping the car I would probably run in to clearance issues.

ok I run 17x8 TTII on front, with a two inch drop and 17x9.5 with a one inch drop, no problems. My tire size is 245/45/17 firehawk wideoval on front and 275/40/17 on the rear....

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 07, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean_Gene3 View Post
Guys,

I'm sorry that I haven't responded in such a while. I have to go to the library to use the net. Thanks for responding.

Joe,

I believe the Tire sizes that they recommended were:
(I have them written down at the house)

245/40/17 Front
275/40/17 Rear

JV69z/28rs,

You are right, TTIIs don't come in a 9" wheel. I found this out when I went to Goodyear. The guy I spoke to also called the local warehouse to see if there was a number that I could call to have a custom set made. He said that AR would have to make a mold to create that wheel and didn't see that as profitable to just make one set of wheels. He did say that because of the high demand the 17x9.5 5 1/2 BS Wheel was created JUST for the 67-69 Camaro.

As far as brakes are concerned I unfortunately have 4 way drums, which I will be changing later. I'm thinking about the Baer track system up front but I can't change the brakes right now because I currently have 14" Crager S/S up front and the track system wouldn't fit. But if I change the wheels first and then the brakes, wouldn't that change the offset of the wheel a little?
Those tire sizes seem to be what others are running. Whell back space and tire size help can be found here also www.pro-touring.com

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode