Cleaning white letter tires - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Cleaning white letter tires

Hey guys have a set of one year old BFG white letter radials.
My problem: The white letters will not get that white when cleaning.
I have tried all kinds of tire and white wall cleaners even soft scrub with bleach. The letters get a little cleaner but more of an off white.
I would like them to be a brighter white.
Anyone have a ideas?
Thanks
-Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: Cleaning white letter tires

spray nine and scrub some.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 06:10 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Try an SOS pad... Clean the entire sidewall with them not just the white letters.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

SOS pad only way to go. I keep a box in my shop. I clean all tires with them before tire shine. If you have never done this you will be amazed.

68 Camaro, HOT LS3, tremec 6 speed, vintage air, 17 inch tourque thrust II, CPP discs, 3.73 posi, Autometer gauges, painless harness
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Thanks guys I will give it a try. I sure hope it works since I'm going to a show on Saturday. Thanks again!
-Doug
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech

If all else fails and you want to go drastic - 400 or 600 sandpaper on a sanding block and lacquer thinner. Just make sure you put on tire dressing when you're done.

Jack
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Rubber buffer. Tire places use it to clean the repair area before they apply the glue & patch.

Wesley's bleach white not working?

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'm in with the SOS, or the Briilo pad in a pinch.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 07, 04:02 AM
Team Member
Mark

I use a product called bleach white that has never let me down when it comes to making white letters look brand new again. Spray it on the whole tire, wait a couple of minutes and then use a scrub brush over the letters and finish with a rinse of clean water. You will be amazed at how they return to looking as white as they did when they were brand new. You can buy it in most automotive stores and it can be used for many purposes.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 07, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereitis67 View Post
spray nine and scrub some.
If he ^ means 409...you have a winner. I had Goodyear raised whites on my 79' Z28 and always used 409. My dad taught me how 409 (or a zillion alike products these days) works great for this purpose. As I was recently cleaning my wife's big SUV's Goodyear RWL tires, I was reminiscing with my son about doing the old 79' this way. Spray it on, use a scrub brush, rinse. If they're really bad, you'll need to do it a couple of times....but once they're cleaned well, the upkeep is very easy. Kinda like edging your grass the first time in spring, as opposed to zipping through it every week or two from then on .

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 07, 06:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

I second what Mark said above. Bleche White works for me too. I think the trick to using it though, is to spray it on a dry tire. It doesn't work well once the tire is wet. Then use a slightly wet scrub brush to work it. Then hose it off.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
John

Yup, stiff bristle brush, or, as I had some super grungy ones once, a wire brush, but don't press too hard, as it'll dig into the rubber a bit and then the grooves will then be the first to get dirty again, then you'll have to re-scrub them again with the brush, vicious cycle......yes, I made this mistake with the wire brush.

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 05:27 PM
Team Member
Rob

I have to agree with the Brillo/SOS soap pad guys above. Have been using that for years to clean my white letter tires ... even white walls when they where in style. OK, maybe I'm dating myself now. I meant the white wall tires on my fathers car

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 07:34 PM

We used to use "white rubber sidewall tire paint" back when I was in HS back in the mid '60's!!

pdq67

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 09:55 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by no69x-44 View Post
I have to agree with the Brillo/SOS soap pad guys above. Have been using that for years to clean my white letter tires ... even white walls when they where in style. OK, maybe I'm dating myself now. I meant the white wall tires on my fathers car

Great example pic... I learned about SOS pads from my dad back in the early '60s when I use to help him wash his car as a young kid. I was given a SOS pad, a bucket of water and instructions to only scrub the tires... Great on black sidewalls and even better on white letters and sidewalls...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode