American Racing problems? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 07, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

American Racing problems?

Any of you guys had any quality problems when buying wheels from AR?

The first set of Boyd Coddington wheels I received (through AR) were poorly made and had numerous flaws and they were sent back. In all fairness, AR said they had zero QC over BC wheels. I then decided to go with TTII's. They shipped them to Kansas City, where they sat for 4 days before the company I was buying through could get someone at AR to "find" them.

At last, they arrive. I picked them up today since I finished front & rear suspension changes. No sooner than I get back to my house (I dropped the car off)...the tire shop calls and informs me that one of the wheels has some "bend" in it. It can be balanced...and they're going to go ahead and put it on...and they said it might even drive fine. Of course, I called the place I bought the wheels from and told them to have AR send another rear wheel. Frustrating to say the least. It's almost like an omen or something, about it not being meant for me to get new wheels, lol.

Anyone else had problems with AR? Just curious.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 07, 02:00 PM
Tech Team

Re: American Racing problems?

I fine most of the problems are in shipping. In the last year I've had 5 wheels of the 4 AR sets delivered damaged. Just my 2 cents.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 07, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Ordered six AR wheels through Newstalgia during the last year and a half and no issues.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 07, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I have had problems. Been through 6 TTII's to get four and still not finished. Same issues, bent, pitted etc.

Mark

68 L78 RS/SS, 70 Chevelle SS clone project

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 07, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

No QC and they now own Weld too. My neighbor just quit weld do the fact they don't seem to care attitude.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 07, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstehle View Post
I have had problems. Been through 6 TTII's to get four and still not finished. Same issues, bent, pitted etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x67rs/ss View Post
No QC and they now own Weld too. My neighbor just quit weld do the fact they don't seem to care attitude.
I suspected my case wasn't isolated. Funny you should mention pitting, as I have one spot that I can't be 100% sure came that way or happened via rock after the first drive after putting them on. One thing I can tell you, their CS is unreliable; I already mentioned how long it took to get the AR's after they promised them (over a week past promise date...not guestimated date). Well, after my dealer informed them of the wheel that was bent, they promised a new one would be delivered within 4 days. This means I should have had the new wheel this past Monday. Here it is Friday, and my dealer hasn't received it yet. Being an ex-CS Mgr, there is plenty of room to wrong on delivery dates, and I'm even forgiving that they promised a specific time and failed to meet it. What I can't forgive is their apparent indifference, by not calling to update, apologize, and inform a new arrival time.

69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 07, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

I figure that AR deserves to have me update this . I started this thread on Oct 25th, and today is Dec 17th.

As of today, I still have not received a replacement for the one rear 17x9.5" wheel that came bent. To clarify, they promised to replace this wheel within 4 days! 2 & 1/2 wks later, I received the wheel....in a box by itself..not packing inside...no protection...and bent from UPS's daily handling. Not UPS's fault.

But hey, 3 bad experiences in a row aren't bad, right? After all, they promised my local dealer (the guys having to put up with this crap and are embarrassed by it to some degree) to get another wheel out within 4 days. In fact, they said it was coming out of KC and would arrive in 4 days. Um...that was promised before Thanksgiving .

American Racing is a joke. I love my wheels...I think they make great products overall...but their customer service is beyond pathetic. Keep in mind that it's a local, but large chain tire/wheel dealer they've been screwing with (and of course, me, ultimately).

Fwiw, the "bad" wheel was initially balanced and I have no noticeable vibration from it (thank goodness!), and I'm not exactly sweating over it for this very reason, and know very well I'll eventually get it.

To recap:

1. They set me a badly flawed set of BC's (they said they had no control over QC...cool). They apologize and promise to expedite the new ones.
2. They send me a new set of AR TTII's almost 3wks past promise date, and one wheel had a lot of bend in it. They promise to expedite in 4 days.
3. Almost 3wks later, the "new" wheel arrives....bent like hell from non-existent packaging. They apologize profusely...again....and promise to expedite another wheel within 4 days....again.
4. It's been over 2mths since this started...I still don't have a good wheel.

Thank you for letting me share

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 07, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

I almost wonder if they are running down your ability to dispute CC charges.

Sounds aweful, I hope you can get some resolution to the problem. I know I would be really pissed if it happened to me.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock1969RS View Post
I almost wonder if they are running down your ability to dispute CC charges.

Sounds aweful, I hope you can get some resolution to the problem. I know I would be really pissed if it happened to me.
The really surprising part to me is that my local dealer is a first time customer to AR. Go figure. And no, I'm not concerned about CC charges. I know they'll make it right...eventually. They're just extraordinarily slow. As an ex- CS Mgr, I know that the best policy for customer satisfaction is to under promise...and over deliver. They have decided that this timeless, successful method works best in reverse especially, if you do it 4 times in a row.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Out of curiosity.
Do you have to send them the bad wheels back before they send new ones? Or do you have a stack of bent wheels ready to return?

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havin' Fun View Post
Out of curiosity.
Do you have to send them the bad wheels back before they send new ones? Or do you have a stack of bent wheels ready to return?
Tim, the local dealer kept the wheels until AR sent for pick-up (except for the one on my car). The only thing I've actually had to deal with is waiting...and listening to my dealer apologize to me for AR's inept way of doing business. At one point, AR told the dealer that they were going to have to pay for the flawed BC's! Unbelievable! Each and every wheel (BC's) had numerous flaws on them. Almost every spoke (5 per) looked as if they'd been ground/polished by a guy on his first day on the job. After that, I didn't even want to gamble that they could get 4 wheels right...and I switched to the AR's.

Again, I've been driving my car all this time...no problem with vibration. I'm just sharing the very poor experience I've had dealing with AR. I mean, it got so bad that I asked my dealer/friend if he'd actually given them hell for all this BS, and he said he'd talked to a couple of supervisors. They all apologized and then promised immediate resolution......that never materialized.

Now, I'm expecting the long awaited new wheel to arrive...with no bend...but probably a bunch of pit marks in it. It'd be par for the course at this point.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Well, it's now the last part of March. The one wheel I've been waiting for (again) came in last Thursday, finally. But like the last replacement wheel that I waited over 3mths for...this one was ALSO not shipped with any packing. Un-freakin-believable! They were already told they screwed up the last one by shipping it without protective packing. My local dealer was embarrassed to even call and tell me. He'd called me last Mon to let me know he finally had a tracking number after he'd been lied to on numerous occasions over the course of many months. We laughed about how incompetent AR was and how the nightmare and waiting was finally over. I even joked with him about this wheel probably having more bend in it than the original I've been waiting to replace. It had bend alright....where it was unprotected and once again, shipped all by itself inside a cardboard box barely big enough to house it. These AR guys are complete clowns.

My only saving grace is that the "bad" wheel I have on the car was able to be balanced and I don't have vibration issues. But it wasn't acceptable for the price they charge, ya know? This whole thing has been a customer relations nightmare. And for those just tuning in....I've been waiting for a replacement wheel since before Thanksgiving.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 08, 08:42 PM

Heya kevin , man that all sounds like a nightmare! I think we exchanged bad service storys a while back, i just received my two tt2s after 3months , the other two were in stock in australia. Two rims took 3 months to get to me. I havnt even looked for pitting as if they were id have a real drama to deal with, ...i wasnt happy with the service. Good luck mate .

Gavin

red 69 rs/ss
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

While I actually got my wheels in good time (4weeks) the QA is clearly lacking, the backside where the centers are welded in is coated in weld spatter, no effort was made to mask it at all, I can probably buff it out but it would be alot of work and since it's on the inside I doubt I'll bother.
There were several small nicks on the painted surface of the centers, and the centers were filthy. If these were for a show car I would have returned them but it's a driver and the defects were small enough that I'll grit my teeth and deal with it. Mine were packaged well and didn't have any bends so I guess I'll count myself lucky.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 08, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAC_Man View Post
While I actually got my wheels in good time (4weeks) the QA is clearly lacking, the backside where the centers are welded in is coated in weld spatter, no effort was made to mask it at all, I can probably buff it out but it would be alot of work and since it's on the inside I doubt I'll bother.
There were several small nicks on the painted surface of the centers, and the centers were filthy. If these were for a show car I would have returned them but it's a driver and the defects were small enough that I'll grit my teeth and deal with it. Mine were packaged well and didn't have any bends so I guess I'll count myself lucky.
The very 1st set I ordered were Boyd Coddington from AR, and they came the same way you just described above....filthy and poorly polished, as well as uneven "grinding"/polishing on the spokes. They were horrible, and I returned them pronto. AR said they had no control on QC at BC, so I accepted that. That's when I decided to go with the TTIIs...and this whole nightmare really started. They have proved themselves to be untruthful, unresponsive, and incompetent....repeatedly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode