What size tire for 17x9 rear? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

What size tire for 17x9 rear?

Looking at the Foose Legends

17x7 4.0 bs with 225/45/17 front and 17x9 5 1/4 bs with what tire?

or should i just stick with 17x8 4.5 bs with 255/45/17?

thx for the help!!!

67 RS "yes that is the factory color combo"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech

Re: What size tire for 17x9 rear?

I have 275 40's on my 17X9 rim with 5 inch backspacing in the rear. No rubbing issues, well see when I lower the car. See my signature for pictures how they fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 08:25 PM
Senior Tech

i concur. 275/40r17's.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 09:04 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrady View Post

thx for the help!!!
On a 67' the 275/40 might be fine, but on 69's you'd almost certainly have to roll the lip. Didn't you just drop the rear 1.5"? Can't recall if it was PS or suspension you were recently into. Theoretically, you'll get .8" wider with the 275 (10.8 vs 10" with 255). I originally wanted 275/40 for the rear on a 9.5" wheel, but I'm really glad I went with 255/45. But again, mine is a 69'. And truth be told, I actually had to roll the lip a tad after dropping the rear to prevent rubbing on the fender. And if you didn't drop your rear....you might want that 45 profile to help fill the gap a bit. Also, think about your speedo reading when changing overall tire height. That is, if it matters to you. 255 is a safe bet...275 might be a gamble with rubbing. But once again, I'm not familiar with 67's wheel well. Oh, and one last thing; if using 8" wheels for front, 4.75 is optimal back spacing (not 4.5"), but I'm not sure if it makes a difference in the rear.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

i put in 1" Eibach drop up front....still debating 1 1/2" Hotchkis in back, but probally will....the legends have option of 4.5 or 5.0 for 17x8....would 5.0 be better than 4.5?

i know safe way would be 255 but thought 9" might be kinda cool.(if it will work for sure)

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 10:31 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
i put in 1" Eibach drop up front....still debating 1 1/2" Hotchkis in back, but probally will....the legends have option of 4.5 or 5.0 for 17x8....would 5.0 be better than 4.5?

i know safe way would be 255 but thought 9" might be kinda cool.(if it will work for sure)
If you drop the rear, this is where you may run into a problem with 275 (maybe). But 9" wheel for the rear doesn't matter. I'm running 9.5" wheels with 255 on them in the rear. As far as the 4.5" vs 5" bs, I'd guess that 4.5", if you're stuck with only two bs choices, would be better than to go the other way with 5" for the front. You should be fine.

69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

kevin, im thinking of 17x8 or 17x9 in rear...the choice of 4.5 or 5.0 17x8 will be for back....17x7 4.0bs with 225/45/17 seem to be the way to go upfront from what iv seen on 67's(unless change my mind ).......you still think 4.5 over 5.0 in back?.....and now you got me thinking 255/45 on the 9"?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 07, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:

thx for the help!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker View Post
I have 275 40's on my 17X9 rim with 5 inch backspacing in the rear. No rubbing issues, well see when I lower the car. See my signature for pictures how they fit.
Here's the best advice I have...you need to measure first. I have 275/40/17's with 5.75" backspacing on the rear...in the front I have 245/45/17 with 4.5" backspacing. The fronts fit perfect. The rear is really good also, however, I do get an occasional rub on the inner wheel well when I get off camber (like turning onto an inclined driveway). If I put a 1/8" spacer on mine, then I think I'd be perfect, no rub on the inside or outside. But anyway you do it, 275 on the rear is just too big a tire to do without A.) Measuring and/or B.)doing a body modification be it tubs or rolling the fenderlip.

Every car here is different a little. How many times has the quarter been replaced? how out of spec is it from the factory? (factory tolerances weren't as precise as they are today)
Haven't seen anyone ask if you have disc brakes? or drums? It makes a difference. I have discs all the way around.
Do you have stock A-arms or tubular...also makes a difference...I have tubular upper and lower.
I also have the Hotchkis 1.5" drop lowering leaf springs in the rear. Up front, I have adjustable coilovers that are fairly low.

You can't search "backspace" or "275/40/17" or "245/17/45" or "255/17/45", etc. enough in my opinion...and then you still need to measure.

Things I'd do if I was doing it all over again...
A. Consider getting four of the same tire and wheel backspacing all the way around so you can put the tires in a rotation sequence...my rears seem to wear out way faster...weird See CarlC's website for 275's all the way around: http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/
B. Get one of those backspacing measuring tools. After you figure out your need, put it on eBay or rent it out here in the classifieds...you'd be even in a heartbeat...Same goes with the Eastwood fender roller tool.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you.
-Scott

Here's a gratuitous pic (This pic is kinda old, the rear has settled maybe another .25":

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 07, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
kevin, im thinking of 17x8 or 17x9 in rear...the choice of 4.5 or 5.0 17x8 will be for back....17x7 4.0bs with 225/45/17 seem to be the way to go upfront from what iv seen on 67's(unless change my mind ).......you still think 4.5 over 5.0 in back?.....and now you got me thinking 255/45 on the 9"?
Chad, you've got to read carefully; for a 17x8 for the rear, I believe 5" bs is the better choice out of the only 2 choices you have. Scott has some valid points to consider. I'm assuming you have rear drums and not discs. When I was trying to decide which size tires to go with, another member who has 245/275 combo, confided that he thought 235 was more than enough tire for the front. So 245 was out for me. For the rear, 275 poses problems for most of us on 1st gens., but not all of us. Like Scott pointed out, each and every car is TRULY different. I now know that 275's would never have fit mine without rubbing (easier to tell after lowering). Even if I rolled the outer lip...I'm pretty sure I'd have inside rubbing.

You're probably as confused as I was about what back spacing is exactly, and how it works? Once you understand how it works, you'd actually be able to figure out which way to go when increasing wheel size (width). I'll give it a shot:

Let's say you currently have a 17x7 rear wheel, okay? You check the bs by (wheel off and face down is easiest way) measuring the distance from where the lug studs go through the holes...up to the outer rim of the wheel. You need a straight piece of wood/metal to lay across the wheel so you can measure up to it. So, let's say you find you have a 4" bs. If you want to change to a 17x8" wheel...you're adding one more full inch of width that has to fit either toward the outside fender, the inside of the well, or split between both, right? If you kept the bs the same (4") as the old wheel had, you'd be moving the entire "new" 1" width all toward the fender lip. Now....if you changed the back space to 4.5" (1/2" diff from old wheel), you'd be splitting the difference of the new, extra inch..to 1/2 toward the fender and a 1/2" toward the inner well. To split the difference between the fender and the inner well..may or may not be ideal. It depends on whether or not you have the space to go in either or both directions. Does this help?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 07, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

thx for the info guys.....ill do some measuring......anything will be better than the 14x5 (yes that is a 5) meats i have on it now

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 07, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech

1st let me say I agree with everything that's been previously posted and will add the following. Since all these cars are a little different and can even vary side to side try to test fit something that is close in size (it can even be a 15" as long as the height and width are close). Then if you error it is better to error on too much back space as oposed to not enough. You can always use a small spacer to gain some inside room but there is nothing to can do if you're out too far.

Jack
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FamilyFun View Post
Here's the best advice I have...you need to measure first. I have 275/40/17's with 5.75" backspacing on the rear...in the front I have 245/45/17 with 4.5" backspacing. The fronts fit perfect. The rear is really good also, however, I do get an occasional rub on the inner wheel well when I get off camber (like turning onto an inclined driveway). If I put a 1/8" spacer on mine, then I think I'd be perfect, no rub on the inside or outside. But anyway you do it, 275 on the rear is just too big a tire to do without A.) Measuring and/or B.)doing a body modification be it tubs or rolling the fenderlip.

Every car here is different a little. How many times has the quarter been replaced? how out of spec is it from the factory? (factory tolerances weren't as precise as they are today)
Haven't seen anyone ask if you have disc brakes? or drums? It makes a difference. I have discs all the way around.
Do you have stock A-arms or tubular...also makes a difference...I have tubular upper and lower.
I also have the Hotchkis 1.5" drop lowering leaf springs in the rear. Up front, I have adjustable coilovers that are fairly low.

You can't search "backspace" or "275/40/17" or "245/17/45" or "255/17/45", etc. enough in my opinion...and then you still need to measure.

Things I'd do if I was doing it all over again...
A. Consider getting four of the same tire and wheel backspacing all the way around so you can put the tires in a rotation sequence...my rears seem to wear out way faster...weird See CarlC's website for 275's all the way around: http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/
B. Get one of those backspacing measuring tools. After you figure out your need, put it on eBay or rent it out here in the classifieds...you'd be even in a heartbeat...Same goes with the Eastwood fender roller tool.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you.
-Scott

Here's a gratuitous pic (This pic is kinda old, the rear has settled maybe another .25":

Nice car Scott. That is the exact stance I am looking for. What did you do to lower your car on the front, I see you used 1.5" drop springs on the rear.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

For a 67-68 with a 17x9 rear I prefer the 255/50r17; 27" dia, same as a 255/60r15 in dia and section width. Tire selection is a little more limited though.

62 Corvette (Stock Restoration)
68 RS/SS Camaro, LS7/T56
68 RS Convertible project LS3/480/4L70
2006 Corvette Z06
2011 Corvette GS Convertible
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 07, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

great looking car 68sixspeed....thats same color combo (black bumble bee) im going to be painting mine...love the stance.

what back space do you have with back? and what are you running up front? is it lowered?

thx, chad

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 07, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Chad- thanks. 17x8 4" bs front with 245/45r17 and 17x9 4.5" bs rear with the 255/50r15. It is lowered some - coilovers on all 4 corners and far from stock suspension (check the garage link in my sig. for more info), I think the front fender molding is at 26-26-1/4" if my memory is right.

I took her out for one last drive for the year today... for some reason my foot slipped off the clutch a few times and the back end tried to pass the front end. 45 degrees out-- no traction, go figure.

62 Corvette (Stock Restoration)
68 RS/SS Camaro, LS7/T56
68 RS Convertible project LS3/480/4L70
2006 Corvette Z06
2011 Corvette GS Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in