17" "old-school" American Racing 200S wheels...look - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Thumbs up 17" "old-school" American Racing 200S wheels...look

Some of you have asked to see these on my car so here goes.
I have owned these 17" version of this wheel for well over a year and a half but just recently had the two 9.5" wide rear wheels made...they were on my '70 Z/28.These pictures were just taken last Saturday,the specs are as follows:

Fronts:
17x8 (4.5" b/s)
255-45's

Rears:
17x9.5 (5.5" b/s)
285/40's

The fronts are tight,tight,tight...no issues with the rears.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 01:39 PM

Re: 17" "old-school" American Racing 200S wheels...look

that looks awesome
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 01:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I like the 200 series looks good. I have the 15" polished version on the '67.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
...I have the 15" polished version on the '67.
I have a set of one-piece 15x7's with the cast centers.
Having them blasted & polished,will mount 265/50 & 295/50 BFG T/A's

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 02:31 PM
Team Member
Doug

Clean!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Question OK...better on this car?

these...

or these...?

Or on this car...?

I've had them on this car too...but didn't like 'em:

That's the beauty of having three cars you can swap things back and forth.

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I've seen your car before...very nice! But please share with us what kind of turning radius you have up front with 255's and dropped what appears to be 2" . I realize you have 4.5 bs instead of the usual 4.75 for those size wheels, but........I can't picture making anything close to a sharp turn with that set-up. I would imagine it rubs the frame as well as the fender when making nowhere near a full turn.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
I've seen your car before...very nice! But please share with us what kind of turning radius you have up front with 255's and dropped what appears to be 2" . I realize you have 4.5 bs instead of the usual 4.75 for those size wheels, but........I can't picture making anything close to a sharp turn with that set-up. I would imagine it rubs the frame as well as the fender when making nowhere near a full turn.
I think you're right there man,turning radius has been compromised.
These have only been on since Saturday (they were on the rear originally) and I drove it to Laguna Seca and even though my Koni's are set on "kill",the tire/offset combo just isn't going to work on this car...sits too low.
No worries though,I can either swap a pair of 245/45's I have to gain that liitle bit I need...or the easier way would be to try the extra pair I have with the 235/45's rubber on them...I know those work.

My front fender measurement from the centers to the ground is 23.5"...FYI.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech
John

Musclecar John you have some very nice rides, I like them, I like them alot. When you say "old school" and 17" though in the same sentence I get confused. Tractors had 17" rims in the old school days .

I think the reason the 200S rims look so good in the 17's is because the spoke width of these rims are wider, even in the real old school 15's.

That's why Torque Thrust Originals look funky in anything bigger than 15's, the spokes start to get spindly looking.

I guess I am a dinosaur 'cause I just can't get into the rubber band tire look. I think a body is hard pressed to do better than 15's with tall rubber.

Thanks for posting the pictures.... always like seeing your cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Old School.jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	5161  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69OlympicGoldSS View Post
When you say "old school" and 17" though in the same sentence I get confused....
I figured that would throw some...what I should have said was old school "look" since so many people only think of 15" wheels when they think of the old "coke bottle" styling of these wheels.
Funny you mention the thickness of the spokes.When I first got these,I thought the spokes were a bit too thick but they have since grown on me...

I'm torn however on whether I prefer the thinner spoke design of the V-40's over the thicker look of the 200S's...

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 05:19 PM
Banned
Alan

Re: OK...better on this car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
these...

or these...?

Or on this car...?

I've had them on this car too...but didn't like 'em:

That's the beauty of having three cars you can swap things back and forth.
Top Pic 69 W/Daisy's all the way with center caps on,that car is "RIGHTOUS"....very nice,is that a 2'' drop on the front? And how much on the the back ?Thanks

Last edited by 98blackburb; Dec 28th, 07 at 07:15 AM.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 06:36 PM
Tech Team

Musclecar, so you've got 285/40's on the rear with no problems? What brand of tire?
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: OK...better on this car?

Quote:
these...

You know I'd vote for these.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 07, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
Russell

Send a message via AIM to capt68 Send a message via Yahoo to capt68
Thumbs up Re: 17" "old-school" American Racing 200S wheels...look

Quote:
Some of you have asked to see these on my car so here goes.
I have owned these 17" version of this wheel for well over a year and a half but just recently had the two 9.5" wide rear wheels made...they were on my '70 Z/28.These pictures were just taken last Saturday,the specs are as follows:

Fronts:
17x8 (4.5" b/s)
255-45's

Rears:
17x9.5 (5.5" b/s)
285/40's

The fronts are tight,tight,tight...no issues with the rears.

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russell
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 07, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech

Well what can I say - this looks great too! But then again all your cars look great. I also can't believe you're getting 285s in there with no rubbing issues. I know I can't. It just goes to show you not all these cars are created equal. Nice car no matter what wheel combo you run.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode