Balancing steels w/o weights on outside Help - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Balancing steels w/o weights on outside Help

I have a problem. I (the tire store)am trying to balance my original steel rims with Firestone wide ovals without putting any weights on the out side of the rim trying to achieve a cleaner look. Around town speeds of 45 no problem. the problem is with freeway driving OK up to 60 after that it starts to shake.
Now I had a set of bfg's on these rims and was able to drive 60 and up with no problems.
Is it possible to balance with out weight on the out side.
Thanks
67for/me
Click image for larger version

Name:	dish 1 003.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	5234

1967 the first Camaro
first (adjective)
preceding all others as in time, order,or importance
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 09:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Balancing steels w/o weights on outside Help

Yes, absolutely. Back in the old "bubble balance" days, wieghts only on the outside was how it was done. Todays balancers "dynamic balance the wheels, and call for wieghts on bothg inside and out, But.. they are capable of inside only balancing. I think there might even be a switch for it. My Cragars are balanced with stick on wieghts on the inside only, and is smooth as silk up over a hundred on the track.

I suppose it's possible for either a wheel or a tire to be so far out that this isn't possible.

Another thing I always do is make em spin em again after the wieghts are on. If the machine doesn't read double zero, they get to start over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 10:27 AM

I have run steels with no weights on the out side. They call it static balancing.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

If they can put up with you, you could try clocking the rim on the tire 90° at a time to get best balance without weights, then have them get the static with inside clip weights.
Like Jim mentioned, tap wieghts is another item.
There are some hub mounted self balancers, works like the crank fluid balancers but I have not seen anyone use them locally.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
larry

Have the tire people break the tire loose from the rim and rotate the tire 180. I have done this in the past.
Larry
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 02:05 PM
Bill

No matter what anyone says, in order to "properly" balance anything much thicker than a bicycle tire, you need to put weights on both sides. The unbalance amount is split into two planes and one affects the other. If you had an almost perfect tire on an almost perfect wheel, you might get it close enough not to notice, but in the real world, if you want it balanced correctly let them put weights on both sides.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 03:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Something else just came to mind, but I hate to see it done. You did not say what type of tire you had other than wide ovals so I take it they are bias belts?? I have seen wheel shops take and true the tire (if thats the problem) on the rim, but it involves grinding the tire true, taking off the excessive rubber out of roundness.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 04:46 PM

Boy, does this get back to "Old-School"!!

Jim, I still haven't entered your Garage Camara post!!

pdq67

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

They are Bies Belts. and almost as skinny as a bike tire.
When we started I had one tire that had a large bulge in it I sent it back to Coker tiers. They sent a new one. But there is still a shaking over 60 mph. They did try some stick on weights and they fell off the tiers in the back of my truck before i could mount them. turned around and went back to the tire store and they tried again. I have not been watching to see if they are getting a 0 reading on the tire though

67for/me

1967 the first Camaro
first (adjective)
preceding all others as in time, order,or importance
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

They might need to be driven on for a few miles to get the flat spots out of the belt. Getting them up to temp and then going to the tire store for a balance again. I had to do this with some old bias ply tires on British cars I have owned. It worked for me but the car were smaller/lighter.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
No matter what anyone says, in order to "properly" balance anything much thicker than a bicycle tire, you need to put weights on both sides. The unbalance amount is split into two planes and one affects the other. If you had an almost perfect tire on an almost perfect wheel, you might get it close enough not to notice, but in the real world, if you want it balanced correctly let them put weights on both sides.
True. Also, the better tires have paint dots on the sidewalls.

Yellow dot goes to valve stem. If red is with yellow dot, red dot overrules, place red dot at valve stem, red dot may be located other place on sidewall.

There also may be an issue with an imbalance condition with the items remaining on the car after the wheel is taken off.

The best balancer I've seen and operated was a strobe light set-up from Bear. Wheel on the car, elect motor to drive the tire, magnetic sensor. Drive the car at 100 mph, no shake on the way up or back down. No. 2 balancer would be as mentioned earlier, the hub mounted balancer with elect motor to spin the tire. You must remember to mark the hub where the valve stem is located when wheel is removed so wheel can be placed back in the same index.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode