8 weeks for rims! Oh dang!! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 08, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

8 weeks for rims! Oh dang!!

So, i finally ordered my rims.

American racing saltflats with charcoal centers.

17x8 4.75 bs
17x9.5 5.5 bs

and he tells me 6 to 8 weeks!

oh man! two months? are they making them by hand?

is this normal? or is the buyout of weld and coddington changing custom rim orders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 08, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Re: 8 weeks for rims! Oh dang!!

I waited over four months for my Budnik's. I had them made to my specs. Seemed like forever!

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 08, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

They always give you a long lead time to be safe. You may get them in 2wks...and you might wait the full 8. I've had poor dealings with AR when it comes to customer service and quality control. In fact, I'm still waiting for a replacement rear 17x9.5 wheel that doesn't have so much bend in it. I've been waiting for OVER 2 months now, and it has become a joke between myself and my local dealer. I wish you better fortune.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 08, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech

From a dealer's stand point, yes, they are taking time right now. American has had trouble over the last year with delivery, but they keep promising us it is getting better.
That's why we're making our own wheels now. More control.

Jon
Driverz Inc.com
"The Custom Wheel Experts"
1-866-694-5940
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 08, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
bill

buy goodwinch radial t/a 215/60r15. they back ordered for 6 months.
try 1 year ago i wanted them and still back ordered. so still 1 half years never came back with that tire size. not saying those rims will ever come out again. well throw a quarter up and pick will it come out ever again.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 08, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I waited 5 weeks for my Billet Specialties! I think that there are to few companies making the hoops, that is usually the problem from what I understand.

Steve
67 Camaro RS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 01:26 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

I was told 8 weeks for my TT2s it was more like 12 weeks. I just got them today!! Now the big question is tire size!!

Most recent 01/01/10

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 08:39 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereitis67 View Post
buy goodwinch radial t/a 215/60r15. they back ordered for 6 months.
try 1 year ago i wanted them and still back ordered. so still 1 half years never came back with that tire size. not saying those rims will ever come out again. well throw a quarter up and pick will it come out ever again.
I will have to look but I might have 2 brand new BFG's in the size you need? Not sure if they are 205 or 215? PM me if your intrested further conversation about them.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 11:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

hmm probably due to the slow freighter from taiwan?
I heard they are made overseas

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

6-8 weeks is pretty standard...I've ordered 1.5 sets of AR wheels and 6 weeks seems about right for delivery.No issues otherwise...although if you look closely,you can see the quality just ain't there anymore.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 08, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I notice more than one of you talks about quality. I cant seem to see any problems, what should I be looking for?

Most recent 01/01/10

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideynut View Post
I notice more than one of you talks about quality. I cant seem to see any problems, what should I be looking for?
Pitting, straight spoke edge lines, damage from improper shipping methods, and "bend" that only your tire shop will see when they mount/balance.

I talked with my local dealer yesterday...to wish him a happy Thanksgiving, merry x-mas, and a happy New Year . He said he has talked to AR every single week....and is told a different story each time. The different reps he's talked to politely apologize, and then tell him something else that won't be true a week later. It has come to the point that we actually laugh about it. But if the "bent" wheel I'm waiting to replace hadn't balanced out to where it isn't a problem driving, I'd be absolutely livid. I originally ordered these wheels in September.

Again, quality has been an issue and is the root of the current problem I have with AR now, but it's the customer service end that is absolutely pathetic. If it's going to take 3mths to make it right...just tell the customer that. But they've insisted that because of their screw-up, that they'd "expedite" the replacement wheel in 4 days. Yes, 4 days. And they've promised that on 3 occasions. This is month #4...so you do the math . I love the wheels, but I can tell you that I'll never burden myself with dealing with AR again in the future.

69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 08:42 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

Where are you guys getting your rims? I can understand the delay if they are custom offsets but if you are ordering something from the catalog, you shouldn't have to wait that long. When I purchased my TT2s for my 99 Camaro SS, I got them in 4 days. TomZ's wheels ( http://www.tomzwheels.com/catalog/ )is a sponsor on LS1tech.com and sells these wheels cheap!!! I payed $820 for 2 17x9.5 and 2 17x11. He charged about $70 bucks to ship them, but it is still way cheaper than jegs, summit, or even ebay. The customer service is great too. I've also purchased tires from www.discounttiredirect.com for excellent prices and got free shipping.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 09:22 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS View Post
Where are you guys getting your rims? I can understand the delay if they are custom offsets but if you are ordering something from the catalog, you shouldn't have to wait that long. When I purchased my TT2s for my 99 Camaro SS, I got them in 4 days. TomZ's wheels ( http://www.tomzwheels.com/catalog/ )is a sponsor on LS1tech.com and sells these wheels cheap!!! I payed $820 for 2 17x9.5 and 2 17x11. He charged about $70 bucks to ship them, but it is still way cheaper than jegs, summit, or even ebay. The customer service is great too.
Those prices do look good, but for the TTII's 505's I bought...they'd be about $1000 even. This is including shipping (using your $70 S&H figure). Still, not bad...and about $170 less than I paid. And yes, a lot of us get custom offsets, and it can take much longer.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

O.k. Ill look closer but I think Im good. My dealer did have AR custermer sevice issues hence the 4 extra weeks. By the time my dealer put her foot down AR had no choice but to Fed ex a set and it came in 3 days. Funny how that works.

Most recent 01/01/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode