Should these tires rub? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 08, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Boo

Should these tires rub?

I have 235/45/17 in front and 255/45/18 in rear. I'm getting some pretty bad rub when going over bumps. It's worse with passengers in the car. Are these boots too big or do I have a shock/spring issue?

Thanks for the help.

My Ride:
1968 Camaro SS Clone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 08, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
RJ

Re: Should these tires rub?

You might have a backspace issue, that's the problem I had with TTII's that came on my car. I had 4" backspacing on all four wheels, and you need more than that, around 4 3/4 on the front and maybe more yet on the back, depending on you wheel size.
rj
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 08, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBaileyrn View Post
You might have a backspace issue, that's the problem I had with TTII's that came on my car. I had 4" backspacing on all four wheels, and you need more than that, around 4 3/4 on the front and maybe more yet on the back, depending on you wheel size.
rj
Yep, and 5.5" is probably best for rear. But you alos didn't mention whether or not your car was lowered, what type of shocks, etc.. A 68' is more forgiving as far as fender lip, so I'd guess it might well be a bs issue.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 08, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Boo

The car isn't lowered as far as I know. I measured from ground to top of fender and it's 26.5 inches on both sides. The former owner put new springs in front and rear. I'm not sure what type of shocks they are.

Where would I go to get the backspace adjusted accordingly? Would a custom wheel shop do this?

My Ride:
1968 Camaro SS Clone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 08, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman55 View Post
The car isn't lowered as far as I know. I measured from ground to top of fender and it's 26.5 inches on both sides. The former owner put new springs in front and rear. I'm not sure what type of shocks they are.

Where would I go to get the backspace adjusted accordingly? Would a custom wheel shop do this?
Where is it rubbing, inside or out...or both? I'm guessing outside (fender). First, you need to take a front and rear wheel off and see what the current bs is. You may be able to use spacers to correct the problem. I would guess that having them changed would be cost prohibitive.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 08, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Before we start talking BS, how bout "what's your rim width?"

8" rim - 4 1/2" to 4 3/4" BS

9.5" rim = 5.5" BS

Also, where in the heck is it rubbing?
Look for shiny spots.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 08, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Before we start talking BS, how bout "what's your rim width?"

8" rim - 4 1/2" to 4 3/4" BS

9.5" rim = 5.5" BS

Also, where in the heck is it rubbing?
Look for shiny spots.
They're 9.5" rims. I think it's rubbing on outside because I hear a metal sound when I go over bump.

Where do I look for shiny spots...on tires or wheel well trim?

Go Bolts!

My Ride:
1968 Camaro SS Clone

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 08, 04:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman55 View Post
They're 9.5" rims. I think it's rubbing on outside because I hear a metal sound when I go over bump.

Where do I look for shiny spots...on tires or wheel well trim?

Go Bolts!
On the car. put her up on stands, take all 4 off, and find the shiny spots.

Fronts will rub the bolts along the top of the fenderlip that hold the inner fender on, and the subframe to the rear of the tire.
Rears will rub the lip, or the inner fender.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 01:23 AM
Senior Tech

I noticed you asked for some help in another thread so I came over here so see what was going on and offer any advise I might have, but you need to answer everyone's questions first
Where is it rubbing?
What is your backspacing? (here is a link to a site explaining backspacing and shows how to measure it, in case you do not know https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html )
those two things will get you the help you are looking for

I feel like kind of a jerk but I just want to tell you how it is, guys have offered you help but you need to do some foot work and answer their questions, and we will continue to help you out
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
I noticed you asked for some help in another thread so I came over here so see what was going on and offer any advise I might have, but you need to answer everyone's questions first
Where is it rubbing?
What is your backspacing? (here is a link to a site explaining backspacing and shows how to measure it, in case you do not know https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html )
those two things will get you the help you are looking for

I feel like kind of a jerk but I just want to tell you how it is, guys have offered you help but you need to do some foot work and answer their questions, and we will continue to help you out
I'm getting the car inspected this weekend so the garage is going to be taking the tires off, so I am going to see where it's rubbing, though I stated earlier I think it's outer.

I'm was really just curious as to whether these wheels/tires were too big or whether it just needs some adjustments to make it work.

Thanks.

My Ride:
1968 Camaro SS Clone

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Boo

OK, I had the tires off and found 1 shiny spot. It's on inside subframe of the driver side tire. That was a little surprising as I thought it was coming from the passenger side.

So would a spacer fix this problem?

Thanks for the advice.

My Ride:
1968 Camaro SS Clone

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 12:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ok, so you're rubbing a lil on a sharp left turn.
Not unusual with 235's in front.
The best thing to do would be to limit the turning radious a little bit. There is a stop welded to the rear of the lower control arm, pretty far outboard. A flat spot cast into the steering arm hits there to limit the turning radious. If you take the left tire off, and crank her to a full left turn, you'll see it.

If you drill a small hole thru there, put a bolt in it, and nut the other side, the thickness of the bolthead will limit the turn radious just a lil bit, and she won't rub no more.

I don't like or trust spacers.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 12:07 PM

Please listen ta Jim here!

pdq67

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
ok, so you're rubbing a lil on a sharp left turn.
Not unusual with 235's in front.
The best thing to do would be to limit the turning radious a little bit. There is a stop welded to the rear of the lower control arm, pretty far outboard. A flat spot cast into the steering arm hits there to limit the turning radious. If you take the left tire off, and crank her to a full left turn, you'll see it.

If you drill a small hole thru there, put a bolt in it, and nut the other side, the thickness of the bolthead will limit the turn radious just a lil bit, and she won't rub no more.

I don't like or trust spacers.
What's confusing me is by looks of the shiny spot you would think I would have rubbing issues when turning, but I don't. Where I hear a noise (metal sound) is when I go over bumps. The bumps I'm referring to are waves on highways and uneven roads where there is a downgrade on one side. I've checked the exhaust and it seems to have decent clearance and no markings. Any ideas? Is this a tire rub issue or something else?

My Ride:
1968 Camaro SS Clone

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech

Its probably a front tire hitting on the fender or one of the bolt heads just inside the lip of the fender; that seems like the most common place for a rub when going over bumps.

Adding a spacer will not fix this, just make it worse.
But, if it is rubbing on a bolt head you can install button head bolts (or allen cap screws, whichever name you want to use), which will stick out less and be less likely to rub on the tire

take a look at the bolts that are just inside the lip of the fender, you might see some shiny ones

oh, and i tried the link in you sig, either its no good or flickr is down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode