Date coded rims don't fit??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage
Date coded rims don't fit???

I picked up some 69 date coded 14" 5-spoke SS rims at a swap meet. I went to install them on my 69 SS and the rims are locked on the brake caliper and won't budge. My understanding was the the 14" 5 spokes only went on the camaros and chevelles and was correct for early release SS's (if ordered). The calipers appear original, they have delco stamped on them and then a part number. I forgot to write the # because I was in a hurry. The rims have 9-11-LE stamped on 2 of them and 9-14-LE stamped on the other 2. (chevelle rims???) Anyone have any ideas? Apparently I am going to be selling some date coded rims.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd

Last edited by akxtreme; Jan 7th, 08 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 08:54 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Re: Date coded rims don't fit???

Maybe not for disc brakes.
some ralley wheels are for drum brakes only

Bill
1969 Red SS
496 570 Hp
Tko 600 with 4:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech

Robert -

You're going to have to post the caliper numbers and pics if you have them.

You did get YA wheels, right? The 14x7 YAs should fit over 69 Camaro front disc brakes (RPO J52) with no issue; all 69 SS cars had J52 brakes as part of the SS RPO.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

I have been trying to research these rims and I don't think I got the correct year of rims. The complete stamp is M4 over an 8 and then the 9-11-LE and 9-14-LE. So are they 68 rims? or 78? I was thinking the 9 was for year, apparently that was the month of manufacturer. Does anyone know what the M4 / 8 stamp means?

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech

If they follow convention, M is a manufacturer code, 4 is a plant code, 8 is the last digit of the calendar year, 9 is the month, 11 and 14 are the days, and LE is the application code.

I don't have anything showing who "M" would be as a wheel mfg., and I can't find an LE application code.

Eric
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

No they are not YA coded.. I was under the assumption they would fit even if they were chevelle rims, since they were the SS rims they should be sized to accomodate the disk brakes. Apparently I assumed wrong! Now I am just trying to figure out what these rims actually belong to so I don't mislead someone when I try to resell them!

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech

Do they look like YA wheels? I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what they could be from if they have a 5 on 4.75 bolt patter, but don't clear disc brakes.

Eric
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

Eric, you are feeling my pain! They look identical to a YA rim which is why I got them. They are the 5 bolt with 4.75 spacing. They hung up on the caliper until I had them about 1/2 in off the rotors. I am going to go get the number off the caliper on my lunch break. This is killing me. I got a smoking deal on the rims, but I want to put the SS rims on my car if at all possible.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 10:25 AM
Kevin

Robert, does the chrome extend to the rim? Are the spokes more flat or concave than the pic? (the spokes on YA rims are a little convex) The Olds wheels look very much like a YA.

Kevin

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

The chrome goes all the way to the rim and the spokes are slightly tapered. I don't have a picture, but here is link to my buddy's chevelle and the rims are identical.
https://home.comcast.net/~mike-ss1/images/pic15.htm

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 11:17 AM
Kevin

Robert, if the chrome goes all the way to the rim (where wheel weights mount), then its an Olds/Buick rim, sorry. I have a bunch at home. You need to look closely at the pics and how the center cap mounts to rim to see the differences. The Chev rim was not chromed, the spokes were painted sliver. Hope you didn't pay top dollar.

Here is a buick rim auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUICK...spagenameZWDVW

Kevin

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

OK, here is the numbers off of the brake caliper. 5483638 Although it is hard to tell. The 5 could possibly be a 6 and the 6 could possibly be an 8.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Are they 14x6 or 14x7.Chevy SS wheels are not chrome they are painted.Oldsmobile wheels are chrome but only in the center not on the outer wheel where the trim ring goes.The 14x7 olds wheels are the same as the Chevy wheels but the early Olds wheel is 14x6 and wont clear disc brakes.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 08, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

They are 14x7 and apparently the calipers are correct. Luckily I didn't pay too much for them, I should be able to recoupe my losses!

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode