Wheels and tires finally on their way!! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bl

Send a message via MSN to bl1work
Wheels and tires finally on their way!!

I found the exact wheels i wanted for my 69 about 2yrs before it was finally painted and needed wheels and when I went to order them this summer they were discontinued... I've been in a long search to find a replacement that I liked better and I had settled on centerline daggers, these being considerably more expensive and still not my first choice. I was planning on ordering them next week and yesterday I got an email from the company where the original wheels I wanted were at. Basically, the guy I had talked with was no longer there and they were doing followups and inventory. They had done inventory and found 2 sets left of the wheels i was after. So I ordered them on the spot with tires... This is my first set of wheels/tires for my 69 so as far as what would fit... I did extensive research on the groups here to come up with the widest tire/wheel i could run in the rear in a 17". Well there on their way now so I hope they fit with minimal headaches... heres' what i got... 17x 8 x 4.75 x 4.5BS fronts, 17 x 9 x 4.75 x 5.65BS rears... tires 235 45wr17 front, 275-40wr17 rear. http://www.groupawheels.com/Catalog....r&category=ALL Let me know you guys opinions... fit or anything.
thanks,
bl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Wheels and tires finally on their way!!

Nice wheels and congrats. My only concern would the 4.75 bs for the rear, as I would bet dollars to donuts you'll get fender rub with 275's. 5" (a 1/4" difference) would have been a better choice, imho. In fact, I'd have rub on my 69' (with 9.5" wheel and 5.5" bs) with a 275 tire as is, but it's "centered" as best as can be for distance between inner/outer well. Your 9" wheel with 5" bs would be the equivalent of being centered....but 4.75 will put the wheel/tire out 1/4" more to the outside and I'm pretty sure you'll have issues. But...you might be able to roll the lip and solve it.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech

Kevin - I think the 4.75 is the 4 3/4 bolt circle, and the number with BS after it is the backspace. So, at 5.65 BS in the back, dl might be okay based on your car.

I'd be a little concerned about the front backspace. I have 15 x 7 with a 215 60 on wheels with 4.75 inch backspace, with a lowered front end, and there's not a lot of room between the outside of the tire and the fender lip. Adding another 10 mm width 0.25 inch toward the fender lip would be close.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
Kevin - I think the 4.75 is the 4 3/4 bolt circle, and the number with BS after it is the backspace. So, at 5.65 BS in the back, dl might be okay based on your car.
Damn it Eric! I will take a remedial reading course this afternoon.

Um...Bl...never mind .

69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bl

I was really concerned about the rears, you think the fronts will be close ehh... my car is not lowered... disc brakes. That will be about right, if so I might have two front tires for sale.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl1work View Post
I was really concerned about the rears, you think the fronts will be close ehh... my car is not lowered... disc brakes. That will be about right, if so I might have two front tires for sale.
I leave it to Eric to reply to the fronts, but....I'd still caution that you may have issues with the rear, even with the BS you have if you're using 275's. Every car is different, and 275 seems to be a 50/50 kinda deal as far as fitment goes on a 69'. However, if it does rub the inner well or exhaust pipe...you can always remedy it pretty easily.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bl

If it rubs the inside i can easily make me a spacer for the hub... if it rubs the outer fender lip... then its different tire or lip roll... uggg....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech

bl -

There are some pics of mine with various size tires and backspace in this thread: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ighlight=tires

As I said, mine is pretty low in the front. The fender lip clearance was better once I got the correct amount of camber, and nothing rubs inside or out. You'll probably be fine.

P.S. Love the Daggers! You don't seem to see them that much, which I think is good.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bl

Well, i've gotten a little nervous now and pulled a rear wheel off last night and started measuring... its gonna be tight, I don't know that my fender lip will be a problem though because the car is not lowered and the lip is 2-3 inches above the tire. I had installed a rear sway bar on the car, which has effectively stopped all flexing in the rear, actually it is too stiff back there now. Stiff too the point that when i turn onto my driveway, one of my rear tires will come off the ground! But i guess that will insure that i don't rub a tire on the fender. lol
bl
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
4.5" b/s on a 17x8" front wheel is tight...but your saving grace is those 235/45 tires.You should be good there w/no worries,especially @ stock height.

Rears should be OK too with that 275/40 tire.If anything,you'll be a little close to the inner fender (nothing a BFH will cure) and if the exhaust tubes rub on the rears,just have them re-routed to dump before the axle...problem solved.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bl

BFH took me a min... lol I won't have an exhaust tube problem, I looked at that last night and i'm not anywhere close to them. The closest thing I see is the shock mt on the bottom of my leaf spring plate, but I'm thinking it will end up inside my rim. The wait on the wheels coming in is killing me...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
The closest thing I see is the shock mt on the bottom of my leaf spring plate, but I'm thinking it will end up inside my rim...
Yes it will.

lol on the BFH comment...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech
Boo

John/Eric or anyone else that would like to chime in, I would like to get your opinion my boots. I started a thread a few days ago because I'm getting a little pizzed with the rub I'm getting.

Thanks.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124285

My Ride:
1968 Camaro SS Clone

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode