69 Wheel and tire? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

69 Wheel and tire?

I have a 69 Camaro, currently factory ride hide without any suspension modifications, I found a set of ROH RT wheels that I would like to buy for my car. However, I am unsure if they will fit. From what I have gathered the factory wheels were 14X7, 5 on 4 3/4 with a back spacing of 4.25" in the front and 4.9" in the rear. The new wheels I would like to run are (same bolt pattern) 18x10 w/ a 5.5" backspacing (rear) and 18x9 w/ a 5" backspacing (front)
The second question is in regards to the tires. I have (on there now) 295/60/15 on 15x8(rear) and 235/60/15 on 15x8 (front). Which are 28.9" tall x 11.6" wide (rear) and 26.1" tall X 9.3" wide (front). I would like to run 295/45/18 (rear) and 245/45/18 (front). Which are 28.5" tall x 11.6" wide (rear) .4" shorter than what I have and 26.7" tall x 9.6" wide (front) .6" taller and .3" wider than what I have.

I know I can measure the car and see if it will work but it is in storage right now. I would like to know if anyone knows of any foreseeable problems with the fitament of this wheel/tire combo and if so how much or what type of work would need to be done to allow these? Or if any one had done something similiar and if they did any modifications, how extensive they were, etc...?

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 12:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: 69 Wheel and tire?

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...d=1#post923080

Please don't double post

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

no problem, sorry.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

IMO, an 8" with 4.75 or 5" BS is better in the front and a 9.5" with 5.5 BS in rear with a 245/40 and 275/40. This combo works really well especially if you are plannig on lowering the car.

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech

most guys use a max of an 8" wide rim on the front, your 9" wide rim on the front may cause you problems

I recommend a few searches, there are tons of posts about different wheel sizes and rim backspacing, there is a lot of good reading to see what has worked for others
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
most guys use a max of an 8" wide rim on the front, your 9" wide rim on the front may cause you problems

I recommend a few searches, there are tons of posts about different wheel sizes and rim backspacing, there is a lot of good reading to see what has worked for others
Correct,9" is too much on the front,turing radius will be compromised.

A safer bet would be the following:

Fronts:
17x8 (4.75" or 4.875" b/s)
245/45's

Rears:
17x9.5 (5.5" b/s)
275/40's

This will fit no problemo.You can bump up to a 285/40 rear (like I run on my '69) but it's tight and all these cars are slightly different.

Good luck man...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I just got my 275/40/17 5.5bs on 9.5 in the rear. It fits great no issues. I went 225/45 on 8in 4.75 bs on front. I could of easly went 245/45 I wish I did. And my car is low.

Most recent 01/01/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode