What size ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

What size ?

Want to put 16" Torque Thrust wheels on my 68. 16x8 on rear 16x7 on frt. ? What size tires ? Want to put disc brakes & drop spindles on it at the same time. Wondering about the clearance issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech

Re: What size ?

I've got 225/50R16 in front
and 245/50R16 in the rear
I could go 10mm wider both front and rear, but the tires I got did not come in those sizes

i recommend you measure the backspacing yourself, and do a few searches to see what has worked for others

and I would recommend stepping up to 17" because there are a lot more tires available, and you can get a 275/40R17, no one makes a 275 for 16's

and search on drop spindles, they will cause you a lot of problems
everyone recommends drop springs
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 08, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I have 16" wheels, with 235/55 on the front on 7 inch rims, and 295/50 on the back on 9.5 inch rims. Some things to also know:

On the front I have the DSE coilover system using their control arms. On the back, I have DSE minitubs and their Quadralink 4-link setup.

If I had to do it over again, I don't know if I would use 16" as my wheel size, because the tire choices are very VERY limited. I made this choice because I thought that I could fit a larger disk brake system on 16 rims when in fact you will almost always have to use a disk brake system for 15-inch wheels. The only way to get any larger disks is to go to 17 inch, which also gives you almost unlimited choices in tires. But for me, I just don't (personally) like the look of 17 inches on my '68, but I like them on '69s.

I also find wide tires for 15 inch rims a bit hard to find too. Except for M/T, I can't think who else makes a wide tire for 15" wheels. Another mistake I made was ASSuming that a tire size from BFG was available based on BFG's web site and chart. I ordered my wheels and when I went to order the tires for the rear, I found that they had not been made for some time and there was a 'waiting list' to get them and they had no idea if they were going to make them anymore (the 295 series). After doing a nationwide search, I got lucky and found only one company, Cooper, that makes a wide 16 inch tire.

So, the lesson is if you have an odd wheel size, don't order the rims until you know 100% for sure that the tire size that you want is available. Don't trust the dealers or manufacturer's web sites.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 08, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech

well, i never checked for a 295/50R16
thats good to know, but Im glad someone else can back me up that with 16" rims you are limited in tire choices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode