Repop derby caps vs. original GM - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 08, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Repop derby caps vs. original GM

I am looking for opinions (hopefully backed by experience) regarding repop derby caps (for a 68) versus original GM (which I believe are still available). Is it worth spending the extra bucks for originals, or are the better repops (w/out the bowties) good quality?

68RS, 327/275, 4spd, Cordovan Maroon, In process of restoring
ERA FIA289 Cobra replica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 08, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
john

Re: Repop derby caps vs. original GM

if you have original rims then use gm caps.......

if you have repo rims then use repo caps....

otherwise they wobble....they dont fit right....

the nubs that hold the cap are different between repo and gm rims.

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 08, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

I put on repop caps and rings and they look great! Absolutley no wobbling at all. Just put them on properly. I bought the ones without emblems on them and they give it a nice clean look.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 08, 09:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I gathered a good set and had the caps polished. I bought the GM ornaments from GMPD.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Just received a set yesterday from heartbeat city along with his re-pop trim rings for a friend and they look very nice.We compared them to the originals and both were extremely close in appearance.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Can you post a trim ring picture or two?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Can you post a trim ring picture or two?
I don't actually have them anymore,my friend picked them up yesterday but hasn't mounted them yet.Jim @ heartbeat city talked us out of buying the NOS GM pieces trim rings,he said these are made in the US and are identical to the GM pieces in everyway...in fact,they are made by the same supplier that made the original pieces and except for the boxes,you could not tell the difference.They were either $249 or $299/set and I must say after comparing them,they were identical,the step on the edge,the same clips,the galvanized inner and thick SS outer.Looked good to me...Jim may not be the easiest guy to get along with but I think he knows of what he speaks.

The derby's are made in China but they looked pretty accurate as well,I didn't have an original to compare it to,however.

My buddy also picked up a set of re-pop Goodyear E70-15 Speedway Wide Tread GT RWL tires...man,talk about skinny!

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode