spare tire??? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 08, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

spare tire???

Well I just tried to slip one of the ole 15x7 rallye's over the wilwood's, and it ain't happenen. Close, but no cigar.

Gonna hafta go to the boneyard and do some shopping.

Anyone got any suggestions on what might fit?
Prefer a spacesaver donut, not the colapsible kind that you have to blow up.

16" rim, 5 on 4 1/2".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 08, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: spare tire???

I have 235x60 14s and one of these as a spare in the trunk takes up a lot of room, espec with a 80L LPG tank tucked up behind the bacjk seat

I cant rem what steel rim I have, its an old skiny steel Aussie HQ holden, same stud as the camaro (oh and Jaguar is also same stud pattern) On the rim is a skinny radial tyre that is the same diam as the rear tyres on the Cragars...its not good to run diff diam tyres espec if got a posi .

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 03:03 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I wrestled with what to do about a spare last year. I concluded that; I'm not usually on long trips from home. My insurance covers towing. The chance of getting a tear/hole in the sidewall is slim, and a can of Fix-A-Flat in the trunk should suffice. And I don't need the extra weight of a spare. But that's me.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech

What about going with the inflatible type? It does take up even less room than the donut type. I'm like Kev, in carrying the can, and have the road covverage plan.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
I'm not usually on long trips from home. My insurance covers towing.
For the Yellowstone trip, coming up very quickly, we're talking 3000 plus miles over 2 weeks, a lot of it in the middle of no where. I'd feel better witrh a spare tire in the trunk just in case.

I do not normally carry one, for the reasons you guys stated..

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 05:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I think your answer is a 4th gen spare Jim...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 07:50 AM
Team Member
IC

Hey Jim that middle of nowhere is my front yard.LOL
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Did some junkyard crawling today, not much luck...
93 ranger is the right bolt circle, but 15" and won't clear the brakes.
Dodge Avenger clears the brakes but bolt curcle is a tiny bit less.
S10 and astro are larger bolt circle.
Dayum it's hot today.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 01:12 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Jim - don't know how much thought you have given this but if you have a posi rear you want a spare as close to the 26.1" tall tires you have back there. That adds another pre-req to what you are looking for... My '96 SS came with 275/40/17 tires which are 25.7" tall I don't know if the 4th gen spare matches that, it would clear your brakes though.

Have you dug the Vette spare out yet to see if it would work for you?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
For the Yellowstone trip, coming up very quickly, we're talking 3000 plus miles over 2 weeks, a lot of it in the middle of no where. I'd feel better witrh a spare tire in the trunk just in case.

I do not normally carry one, for the reasons you guys stated..
Yep, that's why I mentioned not usually going far from home, as I know you've done some long hauls.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 06:24 PM

He, He!!

Put the spare in the back seat and GO!!

Been there w/ two mounted slicks...

Take it inside at night just like another piece a luggage!

pdq67

PS., and how was the trip to Table Rock Lake??

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 08, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I may just go to a tire store and see what can be bought new.
This trial and error crap, jacking my car up on a gravel driveway and pulling a wheel, and wlaking boneyards, is for the birds.

I bought my son an 89 Camaro today, wonder if it has a spare?
I'll look at the vette spare, but it's a big pain to get out from under there, and I think it is a full size tire of some sort.

This is strictly "Murphy's law prevention" I haven't needed a spare for 30 years, and I drive 35k a year!
But if I don't have one...

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 08, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Have you dug the Vette spare out yet to see if it would work for you?
Prize goes to Dennis!

After all that frustration, the tire I needed was right under my nose... well rigfht under my 93 vette anyway.

155-70-17 spacesaver spare. Perfect height match to my rear tires, test fit fine on the front, too. Clears the wilwoods without a problem, even the offset is right where it should be.

Now I just need to clean it and stow it.

Glad I checked it too, it had no air in it, DOH!!!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 08, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm, after 2 hours it was down to 20 psi...
A quick wasg with soapy water shows it's leaking past the rim on the inside for about 8".

Guess I'm not quite down with this spare tire thing.
Good to know anyway.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 08, 12:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

In your original post you said 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern... I'm guessing the vette is 5 on 4.75 (or it's metric twin) Have you got a F..d 9" and axles in the back? that might be the 5 on 4.5. Hate to see you out in the midddle of nowhere and find the spare only fits one end.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode