What brand tire do you like ?? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 08, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Gary

Send a message via Yahoo to chevysrumble
What brand tire do you like ??

I am having trouble finding a good tire for my 68 I am building. I am looking for a tire that has good looks and handling and was considering the BFGoodrich KDW2`s but the reviews I read mentions tire noise is excessive, especially after they wear some. Nitto 555`s may be a possibility, as well as the Yokahama S drives.

My car has several suspension upgrades (AFX spindles,Hotchkis kit,Global West, C5 brakes) and is lowered 3" front and rear,but not minitubbed. I will need 225x45x17 fronts and 255x45x18 rear tires and that eliminates some of my possibilities. Just want the best handling tire I can get for the money without sacrificing decent road noise or other problems.

Just wanting your opinions on what works for you???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 08, 08:18 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Re: What brand tire do you like ??

I like the Nitto's,have several sets including the N555R drag radials and you can't really fault them for the money.Good looking tread pattern too.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech

There are lots of variables when it comes to tire opinions. What some like others hate. You need to decide how you will use your car and what the budget is. Look at the new "super cars" they use several different brands of tires. I would suggest taking a look at this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/review...4x035&code=yes Good luck with what ever you choose.

Jack

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 07:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I've always liked Michelins.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 08:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

These are 18" BFGOODRICH G-FORCE T/A KDW's...........Front are 235/40/18 and the Rear are 285/40/18

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY

Last edited by Skeeter55; Jul 23rd, 08 at 08:30 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I have BFG KDW's and I do not notice any excessive noise at all, of cours the entire interior is sound deadened...lol. I've always been a BFG guy though. You can't lose with either the BFG or the Nitto's IMO!

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Hey Steve are they the same as my tires?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I like Pirelli's PS2's, but they came with a M3 as my daily driver..............

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 09:13 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Hey Steve are they the same as my tires?
Skip, you have the new tread, mine are a year older.

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Gary

Send a message via Yahoo to chevysrumble

Thanks for the replies. I am building this car for mainly street use but as you can tell by my upgrades I am looking for a good handling car. In my area we have a lot of curvy roads and a lot of the fun of driving is in the handling.

Leaning toward the Nittos but not sure if that is the best choice. I have had several sets of the old BFG radial TA`s and they worked ok on the cars I ran them on, but they were not set up to handle like this car should be.

The more reviews I read, the more confused I am. Anyone ran Nittos, if so, what do you think???
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

PM "musclecarjohn", i'm sure he'll be happy to give you the run down on the Nitto's!

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 08, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech

I ran the BFG's and just plain don't like them , switched to the nitto's 555 and the 555r for playing , they are a great tire for the price .
Mark.

pictures can be viewed at
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 08, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

Apparently Goodyear puts out a "Kelsey" line? Has anyone bought any of these, or heard anything about this brand?

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 08, 07:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Ill be completely up front. These are the only set of BFG's tires that i ran on my car with the way it sits up right now. I took the car out about 3-4 weekends ago, threw some nice tight twisty turns for about 25 miles.

These tires and the Hotchkis Suspension on the car blew me away, no screeching and gripped like glue.

I also have heard some great things about the 555 Nittos.

Skip

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 08, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by class67 View Post
PM "musclecarjohn", i'm sure he'll be happy to give you the run down on the Nitto's!
I have several sets of the Nitto N555's and am very happy with them in terms of performance and even in looks...which is important to me,both in tread design and sidewall design.I have a set of Kumho's and while I have no complaints about the traction or grip,the sidewall has a textured finish which to me is very hard to keep clean and I prefer the look of a smooth sidewall of a tire like the Nitto's.
I also have a pair of N555R drag radials on the rear of my '70 SS454 and from the limited experience I have with them,I can tell you they are quite sticky and grip the road quite well.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode