Steel ralley wheel damage when shipping - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bigsteve

Steel ralley wheel damage when shipping

Dumb question but could a steel wheel that is shipped ground be damaged so that it is not true when the wheel itself is put on a balance machine? The 2 wheels that I purchesed off of ebay were said that the wheels ran true. But when I had them machine checked at at local mechanic he said the wheel were off more than he would have like them to be, and that I would feel it when Im driving the car? Also the wheels show no sign of curb rash or other type of damagf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 02:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Steel ralley wheel damage when shipping

The only damage that would be incurred would be structurally and that is usually evidenced pretty easy by the naked eye. As far as the wheels not being true were they used wheels? If so then they probably became "out of round" over years of use. Back in the day I saw brand new wheels still in the box also out of round when placed on the wheel balancer aka spin balancer. Whether it was steel or aluminum the wheel will almost always be cast. Forged aluminum wheels were very rare in the 1990's and only the most exotic racing teams that had deep pockets would use them. That means for the average person there could be some issues with the casting or machining even when new on a regualr cast steel wheeel or aluminum wheel.

Memorial Day weekend and I am cleaning out my home office today, Ugh! It needs to get done but at least when I am taking a break I can thank Team Camaro for helping me keep my sanity! LOL!

P.S. I would also take those wheels to a 2nd shop and get a 2nd opinion. I have seen the metal rod or adapters on balancers get bent by guys repeatedly putting 8.75x16.5 10 ply tires on these things and trash car balancers with heavier truck tires when I worked in the auto service industry during the 1990's.

P.P.S. You will have a little bit of out of roundness also known as elongated looking wheel with every cast wheel, especially a Rally Wheel. They are not going to be perfect. Rarely is anything in life perfect and most people will not be lucky enough to get a perfect wheel.

Lets us know what happens!

SSG&H

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 06:08 AM

Ain't no such thing as a cast steel wheel to my knowledge???

Cast centers like the CRAGAR SS's tho, and I think even they are die-cast aluminum w/ weldable steel inserts?? (May be wrong here tho??).....

Aluminum and mag are cast.

pdq67

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 08, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I am thinking that the only way a steel wheel is going to get bent is when on the car and it gets hit. When they are made the center is welded true to the outer. Something has to "tweak" the center to make it run not true. It would take a whole lopt of pressure to twist the outer. I doubt shipping could cause a wheel to wobble. JMHO.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode