Old School Cragar SS & SST - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Old School Cragar SS & SST

Anyone know where I can get the old school Craigar SS or SST's with different backspacing? Looking for new ones. I had seen a company selling new vintage SS rims but they werent made by Cragar even though the caps were. They told be the company was owned by Cragar or something. I wasnt at that stage in my resto then so I didnt take a close look. I am thinking of going that route on my resto mod. Yeah I know..so I'm old school. It brings back some great memories. Thanks

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 12:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Old School Cragar SS & SST

Last I heard, there were a few different companies making / selling the old SS rims under license.

There are:
The original SS rims, 14 & 15", steel rim with alluminum center, UNILUGS. In "standard" and "reversed" (deep dish) offsets.
The "new" SS rims, 16 & 17", still steel rims with alluminum centers, Now with conical seat lugnuts and specific bolt pattern sizes, no more unilugs.
The "newest" are now one peice all alluminum, and come in 17, 18, and I think larger.

I don't know if custom offsets are available in any of them. I run 16 x 7, 3 7/8" BS in front, and 17x8, 4 1/2" BS in back, in the "new" series.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks Jim...I am looking for a 15x8 with a 4.5 bs for the rear. They are standard 4.25. Not much of a difference but if I can get that 1/4" I'll take it. I'll have to keep poking around to see if I can find who has the licence for the rims and sells them.

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
Daral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I don't know if custom offsets are available in any of them. I run 16 x 7, 3 7/8" BS in front, and 17x8, 4 1/2" BS in back, in the "new" series.
Jim - I have been looking for the "new" style Cragar SS wheels for some time now. I can't seem to find them in a 16 in. Where did you get yours? I looked at Summit and Newstalgia but no 16 inch. Do you have the 61 or the 612 series and would the 17 inch work up front?

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 01:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I bought mine from Unlimited motor sports in Flemington, NJ not to far from you. He could also ship them to you direct. There number is 908-788-6086.

There are no problems only solutions

68 Camaro, RS/SS, ZZ502, Retrotek Fuel Injection, 4 Speed.

2010 RS/2SS Black, 6 speed trans
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 01:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I got my series 61's from summit, but it was some years ago, 5 or 6 maybe?
I don't know if they are still sold.

The magic search at summit seems to be "cragar S/S" with the slash. I don't see any 16's listed though.

I went with that combo to get the rake, my tires hts are 23.5 and 26.
17's in front will fit fine, just watch the overal ht, section width, and backspace.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Im stuck in the 80's myself, I havent seen Crager SST's since the 80's
I used to have them on a 68 Firebird...good lookin rims.
Probably the closest to a SST you can find today would be a polished Centerline, witch would be better anyhow being aluminum.
The SST's had a tendency to rust around all the screws.
Summit has the SS cragers, give them a call to check on backspacing

'67' RS

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by geterdone View Post
Im stuck in the 80's myself, I havent seen Crager SST's since the 80's
I used to have them on a 68 Firebird...good lookin rims.
Probably the closest to a SST you can find today would be a polished Centerline, witch would be better anyhow being aluminum.
The SST's had a tendency to rust around all the screws.
Summit has the SS cragers, give them a call to check on backspacing
Yeah I had the SST's on my 67 Chevelle back in the 80's also. I like the look but they did rust. Cragar SST's and N 50's...yeah baby.

Gary

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Holdon View Post
I bought mine from Unlimited motor sports in Flemington, NJ not to far from you. He could also ship them to you direct. There number is 908-788-6086.
Excellent ! Thanks for the info. I know the area well. I'll give them a call.

Gary

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 05:38 PM
Banned
Ron

Another oldie but goodie was the Keystone Klassic series!.....I'm not so sure that these are available with a 4.5" backspace though....I always liked them back in the 70's because everyone was running the Crager SS series.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Yup..Black and chrome looked great on that rim too.(If I remember correctly) Man those were days whene everyone had a nice car and gas was cheap and I still complained ...

Gary

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 08, 06:38 PM
Banned
Ron

I'll have to admit, I'm still stuck in the 70's!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 06:10 PM

I bought a set of keystone classics for my 1968 camaro and 70 chevelle on ebay i know some tmes you take a risk but man they look sweet i even got dated ones for the camaro sure brings back memories but when i was in high school the y 14.95 a piece at whites auto
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 08, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Gilbreth View Post
I bought a set of keystone classics for my 1968 camaro and 70 chevelle on ebay i know some tmes you take a risk but man they look sweet i even got dated ones for the camaro sure brings back memories but when i was in high school the y 14.95 a piece at whites auto
Sweeeet !

Gary

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech
Ryan

I always felt like the SST's that were on my car held in the heat and had problems with brake fade with the four wheel drum brakes in traffic. I converted to front disk brakes and new wheels at the sime time due to size requirements for the brakes and was never able to test that theory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode