Help needed with backspacing on 1969 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Question Help needed with backspacing on 1969 Camaro

I have a 1969 Camaro base V8. I want to go with Torque Thrust II wheels in sizes 17x8 with a 235/45/17 up front and a 17x9.5 with a 275/40/17 on the rear.

Can anyone tell me what the backspace would be for these wheels? I have drum brakes all the way around.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Help needed with backspacing on 1969 Camaro

If you search using "torq backspace" there are lots of threads with discussions on different diameters and backspaces that fit 67-68 and 69. Also check out threads with "backspace" by username "MusclecarJohn". He has had more combos on his 69 than anyone I know. Here's one thread where he had 17 inch AR-200 wheels.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ight=backspace

If you ever plan to upgrade to disc brakes, make sure you consider it now. An OE front disc system moves the wheel mounting surface out about 1/4 inch, and I am sure we have info here for just about any setup you can think of.

Kevin (dbx1969) put 17 inch TTII on his 69 last year. Pics are on the page I am linking, with backspace dimensions on post #112 (page 8)

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...=118575&page=6

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech

I would agree with what was said above.
Order wheels with the disc brake backspacing. In the front 17x8 with 4.75 backspace. In the rear 17x9.5 with 5.5 backspace. There is LOTS of reading on this and keep in mind this all comes with the disclaimer "all these cars are a little different and what works on one may not work on another". That's due to wear and tear - replacement sheet metal - ride height - ect.

Jack

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 08, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Great, thanks for the info gentlemen.

You're right, I will probably upgrade to disc brakes on the front at some point in the future.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 08, 05:51 PM

Smile Re: Help needed with backspacing on 1969 Camaro

nd,

I try to finger all the 1st Gen's I can at the shows where ever I'm at to check them for side to side tire fitment.

I just put a couple of fingers right at the top of the tire corners and the middle of the wheel wells, both front and rear and side to side!

I've found through the years that our old cars can be off as much as two fingers one way or the other and its usually like a finger to maybe a finger and a half in the front and like two fingers in the rear OFFSET TOWARDS the pass side!

I know my car is this way and as far as I know it is a virgin chassis-wise.

This is why some cars will cut the tire corners at full droop and others won't, BUT only on one side!! Mine has done this so I figure my finger deal is darn close!

And another point is that years ago, my pass. side front coil spring sagged and I threw a fit and got the Area Zone Rep involved and he said, "Heck, +/- a 1/2" ground clearance was fine w/ GM" and I said BS and paid like $22/pr for my 396 H-D, A/C springs that are up on the shelf now and GM installed them free!

Remember, this is WAY before electronic laser alignment crap that is around today.

Another deal is that guys make the front rim mistake of trying to install wider rims w/ the dish out towards the wheel well lip instead of deeper in!

My 7" wide front rims w/ 3.5" b/s and old E-60/14 tires put the outer tire corner out too much which caused on occasion, the wheel well lip to cut the tire!

Remember that stock front spacing on our old cars wheels is like for a 6" wide rim, 2.25"!!!!!! And stock BS is 3.75.

pdq67

PS., and when I installed my bolt-on Jegs S/F/C's, I tried to shift my rearend over a bit to better center it using the STOCK front spring eye mount holes slop by wallowing the mount holes out just a schosh, then measuring side to side before I tightened everything down. I gained like 5/16" or so better centered fit!!

You will see what i mean IF you get this deep into her.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
I would agree with what was said above.
Order wheels with the disc brake backspacing. In the front 17x8 with 4.75 backspace. In the rear 17x9.5 with 5.5 backspace. There is LOTS of reading on this and keep in mind this all comes with the disclaimer "all these cars are a little different and what works on one may not work on another". That's due to wear and tear - replacement sheet metal - ride height - ect.
Can't argue with Jack on that advice at all...those b/spacings and 245/45 fronts & 275/40 rears should be a "safe" fit on your car with zero modifications.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode