Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Tire MountMate - please share your experiences

For those that have used a Tire Mountmate:

http://www.autowaretech.com/mountmate/index.html

in your experience was the tool worth it? Especially given the cost of 379?

I'm coming up on finishing my entire suspension and going to need to measure for wheels/tires. I want to get rims once and have them be perfectly sized, so I thinking about buying one of these to make sure.

Any experiences you can share about this tool would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 08, 09:31 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Re: Tire MountMate - please share your experiences

You can buy this one and have enough money left over to buy a fat tire !!!

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech
erik

Most guys on the sight can tell you what fit their rides and save yourself 100% of the money! I would just ask questions to get the back spacing you need in a particular size. Most all camaros will not vary enough to keep a size from fitting and not cause a problem.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

I have done a bit of research. So far I think a 17x8 (245/45/17) in the front at 4.875 or 4.75 backspacing and with a mini-tub in the rear with a stock rear end and a 17x11 rim (335/35/17) a backspacing of 7" or 7.125" should be close (anyone care to comment?).

I am trying to run close to the maximum size tires. Since I only want to buy rims and tires once, I am bit nervous without knowing for sure that they will fit. I'd much rather spend $400.00 extra dollars on a tool than buy 2 sets of rims/tires. Especially since it seems a lot of people just sell the tire tool after they are done and get 2/3-3/4 their back on the tool anyways.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 04:50 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

I used a mountmate to figure my bs out. It worked good. You have to have the tire you want to use. The challenge is for the front at least, having the car jacked up with weight on the suspension and turning the wheels side to side.

I think I could have done almost as well with a tape measure and a square. We know that a 26" (+/-0.5") diameter tire fits our first gens best. So it's just a matter of nailing the backspace not choosing between many different tires.

For me it's easier to think about "front space" instead of backspace. 1st gens had about 3.25" of front space on the wheel from the factory. So if you want to go wider than stock, all the remaining width has to go to the back space. So an 8" wheel minus 3.25" equals a 4.75" bs. You can't increase front space or the tires will stick out too far.

Your front number looks good to me. Is your car mini tubbed? That's the only way you'll get a 335 on.

When you get ready to "pull the trigger" talk to Frank at Prodigy/GP Superstore. He'll help get you pointed in the right direction. He offers his help free of charge even if you don't order from him. But he does "have the hookup" on a lot of cool wheels.

Good luck.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

Last edited by eville; Aug 20th, 08 at 10:00 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 08, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Thanks Steve for sharing your experience. Yep, my car is mini-tubbed.

Ed

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 08, 05:14 AM
Senior Tech
erik

I run a 17x8 in the front with 5" back spacing and a 245/45/17 which pretty much known on the site, but you are running a different size and seems you got it taken care of. I cannot help on the backspacing for a mini tubbed rear as mine isn't done yet! However, it will be in the near future and I will probably use this post along with others to nail the backspaing! Currently I run a 17x9.5 w/5.5 spacing on a 315/35/17 which fits nicely and has no rubbing issues at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode