time for new tires... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

time for new tires...

Time to replace the tires on my '69 S.S. (sorry, can't post pics: car can be seen at : web.mac.com/marks396ss) Hugger Orange, black hockey stick stripe, black interior....

This is a show car that has been restored, all original. I like the idea of the 14 inch "ovals" that are on there now because they are "correct". I definatly want to keep my hubcaps but simply need more performance than I was getting with those "dinky" 14 inch tires. However, I want to stay as correct as I can for the year '69. I know there were SS rims, wasn't there an option for tires besides the 14 inch? If not, what is a good performance tire that looks "old school" that is also a good performer? thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: time for new tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemark View Post
Time to replace the tires on my '69 S.S. (sorry, can't post pics: car can be seen at : web.mac.com/marks396ss) Hugger Orange, black hockey stick stripe, black interior....

This is a show car that has been restored, all original. I like the idea of the 14 inch "ovals" that are on there now because they are "correct". I definatly want to keep my hubcaps but simply need more performance than I was getting with those "dinky" 14 inch tires. However, I want to stay as correct as I can for the year '69. I know there were SS rims, wasn't there an option for tires besides the 14 inch? If not, what is a good performance tire that looks "old school" that is also a good performer? thanks.

These guys should be able to help...............

http://www.cokertire.com/

They are the best in their industry.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you want better performance, you are really gonna need to get into a modern radial tire of some sort. 15" steel rims that your hubcaps fit on should be findable, from there, something around a 215-65-15 or 225-60-15 radial will give a huge performance improvement while still staying near stock size and appearance.

'course, you could always pick up a set of polished budnik 17's and some nitto 555's for when your gonna drive it, and stick the 14's back on for the shows....

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 08, 04:42 AM
Senior Tech

Holy cow, we finally saw the 69....

What Jim says is true. OE style bias ply tires are just not going to give you modern performance, period.

The only 69 with 15 inch wheels was the Z28. SS could have rally wheels like yours, or the 5 spoke 14 x 7 steel SS wheels (early cars).

http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#Wheels

You can get 15 inch GM rally wheels and use 15" GM trim rings and put a modern radial on in something like 215/65 15 and still have a factory look. You can also get aftermarket rallys in larger diameters, but then you have trim ring issues (unless you go chrome or billet).

https://store.coker.com/cat/fireston...-white-letter/

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 08, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Definitely a cool car, Mark. I've been doing some tire research as of late.

If you want to stay with period correct tires, this is the best you can do. Doubt they're going to be much better than the Wide Ovals you have, though.

Seeing as a bunch of '69s came with Tiger Paws, I think I'm going to go with the modern Tiger Paw. People I've spoken to say they handle well and give a nice, fairly quiet ride. As far as size goes, I'm running the stock 14 x 7 steel rims that were correct for a COPO, so I've been told the 225/70-14 are closest in size to the original F70-14 tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode