New C6 wheels on an 84Z - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 08, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Marcus

Send a message via AIM to robersml
New C6 wheels on an 84Z

Does anybody know of a website that will let you digitally change the wheels on your camaro to see what looks the best?? Also, I'm going to be throwing either some 17'' torque thrusts or 17'' brand spanking new C6 wheels on my 84. My 84 is solid black with a little silver up top. Any suggestions on which would looks better??

this might help:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380052562820

Also, what size wheel spacers will i need with new C6 wheels ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 08, 01:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: New C6 wheels on an 84Z

I would not recommend putting 2008 C6 Corvette wheels on your 1984 Z28. The 2006 C6 wheels will fit on a 1993 - 2002 Camaro without spacers but you will need spacers to get them to work on a 1982 - 1992 third gen. I'm not into spacers and all that. I prefer a wheel that was designed to work on the car from day one without spacers.

The stock size the 5.7 L IROC-Z and the Formula 350 used was P245/50/R16. However in 1992 Pontiac used a 17x9.5" wheel on their limited edition Pontiac Firehawk. The tire size was P275/40/17. That will work all day long & generally clear without issues on your car. The thing I'm not sure about is if your Z28 does not have 4 wheel disc brakes you may have to upgrade to the 1LE brakes. I had a 1984 Z28 2/ 4 wheel disc brakes, T-Tops and the G92 performance package w/ a factor OEM 3:73 gear. It's been 10 & 1/2 years since I mounted tires on a car & played with wheel sizes in the auto service industry so I'm a bit rusty when it comes to remembering things and I haven't owned a 3rd gen in 14 years.

All that being said I think these wheels would look great on your car and they will fit without issues. Here is the link http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...ROD&ProdID=480

The size I would use is P275/40/17 and if you get a 17" wheel designed to work w/ the car you should be fine. Remember though that the 16" wheels on that car were wider on the rear & the wheels had front or back stamped into them. P275/40/ZR17 was a common size on Corvette's in the early 1990's and the Pontiac Firehawk 3rd gen's used that size as well.

Good Luck and have fun w/ your 3rd gen! oh yea and welcome to Team Camaro!

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 08, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
Re: New C6 wheels on an 84Z

A friend of mine just bought some used C5 Z06 Rims from hawks that came off of a 4th gen car and he used some ebay spacers. He hasn't had any problems with the setup. You can make them work, but vette offsets are different than camaro/firebird offsets. I know guys have to use spacers on LS1 Camaros to run OEM C6 Vette rims so it would be an even larger spacer for a 3rd gen car. I would get a reproduction set of C6s for a 4th gen and use the normal spacers. C6 rims look awesome on a 3rd gen IMHO.

more info on this car.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ighlight=rs+c6

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode