Welp, looks like I have to send the rims back. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Send a message via AIM to rp0029
Welp, looks like I have to send the rims back.

So I am officially a giant douche.
I measured and it appeared that I had at least 6" of backspacing from my drum face to the back of my wheel wells.
Nobody told me, however, that 10.6 section width of tires really means around 11.5" of actual tire width. Such a pain in the a-hole.
And no one told me that "9.5" TTII rims are actually 11" wide. Maybe the 9.5" has to do with the inner part of the rim? Because the label on the rims says TTII 9.5 5x4.75 17" 5.5" BS, so I don't think summit sent the wrong ones.
Anyway, I'm going to try to have to get some rims that are 2.5-3" backspace, as my rim is about 1/8" away from my shock, and if I mounted the tire on that sucker I'd be sure to blow the tire in five seconds from all the rubbing. Back to the drawing board.

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Modern, fuel injected LS engine DAILY DRIVER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Re: Welp, looks like I have to send the rims back.

when i go to order wheels i am going to get one of these first.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

someone here may have one to lend if you ask nice

Don't stop now!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 camaro driver
383 10:1
Horsepower:
515 @ 5,500 rpm
Torque:
499 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 07:52 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The wheel and tire forum is all that is really needed and it's free. There are 2 stuck threads at the top of the forum that should get you going in the right direction. The inner rim and shock clearence should be close, both are fixed and should never touch and with a 17" wheel the shock should almost be inside the rim like this...

I would be looking into the shock and suspension to see what the problem is before giving up on the wheel.

As for section width, it is the widest part of the tire measured at the sidewall, what size tire are you trying to use? I know '68 wheels are not as deep as '69 but would think you could run a 275/40/17 on a 17x9.5 wheel with 5.5 bs if you have rear disc's but might need a 3/16" - 5/16" spacer if running drums...

I bet if you think it out you should be able to make what you have work for less than the shipping costs to return the wheels and tires...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 08, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech

No need for lectures but...........how many times has it been said over and over on these what fits and what hits threads "all these cars are a little different" - "ride height" - "original sheet metal" - "what works on one may not work on another". Well enough of that. Before you start sending the wheels back read over what Dennis suggested. You can always drop down a tire size (a 255/45 looks almost as big as a 275/40 when it's on a 9.5 wheel). Or you can run a small spacer without issue (3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds had them on the rear wheels from the factory). If need be you can do both. Hang in there! Take your time explore all options. These old cars are a test of our fortitude. You're being to hard on yourself. Now get to work and solve the problem . Good luck!

Jack
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Yeah, the rims are about 1/8" away from the shock. I do have drums. It seems to me that the tires, which are about 1-1.5" wider than the rims, will definately rub, even with a 7/16" spacer. I don't want to mount the tires if they won't fit because that makes it so i can't take them back.
I'm going to work on the car today, I'll have to take some pictures.

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Oh, and the tires are 275x40

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

DjD, what should I be looking for in terms of shock and suspension? While I can rebuild an engine, suspension is still a mystery to me.

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 08:48 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Make sure you have the right shock plates for the springs you have, what I show above is a multi-leaf shock and plate. The mono-leaf shock plate has 2 tabs with holes and the shock is mounted with a bolt not a stud like mine. Also any chance your rear has been replaced? That might put the shock in a different place too. If everything is correct the spacer that I recomended will give you inner fender clearence and will add some clearence at the shock too. Since the shock plate and wheel are fixed with relationship to each other they should never hit as long as the shock isn't in the path of a flexing tires sidewall so you should be ok...

What brand tires do you have? Most 275/40/17's have 11" sidewalls, I've seen some 10.9 and some 11.1 and of course actual measurments will vary depending on rim width and air pressure. I have seen a lot of '67 and '68s run the exact same sizes wheel and tires you have here in the forums I think the key for you is getting the right size spacers since you have drum brakes. Be safe about it and don't get real thick ones and make sure the studs have enough threads for teh lugs to fit properly...

...Dennis

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

Sorry pics are crappy - cell phone.

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 01:46 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Are those air shocks? They are very big around... As in the pic I linked I was not even thinking shock body for the clearence problems...

...Dennis

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

They are. The people on pro-touring said that this could be my problem. I am going to have to get the JCW springs, as mine are worn out, which is why the air shocks are on there in the first place. I'll replace the shocks with some good ones, and my clearance issues will hopefully be solved.

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Rico

I have a set of good springs you can have for $20.00 Shipping is on you
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 03:18 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

A 68 wheelwell should measure 11" from lip to inner wheelwell.
You should have 6" from the drum face to the inner wheelwell.
You should have 5" from face of drum to wheelwell lip.

A 275 tire fits well with the proper wheel.

4.5" Backspace on an 8" or 8.5" is about perfect IMO.

When you "plus size" and the sidewall of the tire gets shorter, you could push the wheel a little wider...Just be sure to leave some room for tire flex.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

Last edited by DOUG G; Aug 24th, 08 at 03:29 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 08, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp0029 View Post
They are. The people on pro-touring said that this could be my problem. I am going to have to get the JCW springs, as mine are worn out, which is why the air shocks are on there in the first place. I'll replace the shocks with some good ones, and my clearance issues will hopefully be solved.
My car is one that just plain would not allow the 9.5" wide X 5.5" bs (thankfully I measured the crap out of it ahead of time) , I'm currently running 8" wide x 5.125" bs (5.25" bs wheel with .125" spacer) with a 275 tire and it centers the tire in the well perfectly. It's still a seriously tight squeeze if you car is lowered at all (I'm running 1.5" drop hotchkis in the rear) and I trimmed some material off the outter lip.
If you elevate the rear of you car alot of this problem disappears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	passrear saltflat3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	7668  

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ryan

I was thinking that I will install some monoleaf springs designed to fit a 1970 Nova - either the ones from JCW above or the ones for 1968 cars found here on P 14:

http://1967-81camarocarparts.com/cat...suspension.pdf

I read that neither of the above springs require me to weld on new perches. Or if Rico's springs may fit, then maybe those. I want to get new spring and shackle bushing sets (Summit PTP-7-1052-BL) and new spring pads (Summit ENS-3-6113G).

It will then be a question of shocks. I was thinking Edelbrock Performer IAS Monotube Shocks. But which ones? Should I get the ones for mono leaf spings - EDL-3376, as the positioning of the spring will be just as the mono leaf, or the ones for multi leaf springs, EDL-34981?

Of course I will test fit some cheapo gas shocks on a mock-up, and later put on the Edelbrocks, but should this all fit together? Is there anything else I need to upgrade the rear springs so the car doesn't sag anymore?

Black 1968 Coupe.
Build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode