New tires rubbing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

New tires rubbing

Ok so i finally took of those 14" super sport rims and polyglas tires and splurged for the 17.9" chrome hot wheels and 245/45/17" Tires front and back. I am having many issues with the tires rubbing/grinding! They seem to be rubbing on the frame just a little on both sides when you turn, and only on the right side inner footboard hub area with a sharp turn up the driveway or out on the road, the right is also hitting the screws of the chrome wheel well trim a little on a turn! Will spacers help at all with this, or going to 235 in the front which is only a 10mm diference? Can the suspension have anything to do with this? I have a 1969 Convertible RS/SS 350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 07:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: New tires rubbing

I've got 235/45/17s in front, 245/45/17s in back on my '68.

The fronts rub just a bit while turning and going down a driveway, just like yours. Mine were rubbing on some sheetmetal bolts around the back of the wheel opening.

I ground down the heads of the sheet metal bolts about 1/8" and rubbing reduced greatly. Then I found I had a bit too much caster on the alignment on one side and correcting that reduced it more. Rubbing is 99% gone. Good luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 08, 08:10 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I have 235/45/17's on 17x8" wheels with 4.75" backspacing and they will rub the subframe if I turn lock to lock, I also have smooth alan heads for some of the fender bolts. Coupes seem to be able to get away with 245/45's easier than ragtops but the real key is the right width wheel and correct backspacing. I think you are going to have your work cut out for you if you have 17x9" wheels up front. They would require about 5.75" (which will cause all kinds of rubbing issues) back spacing or the wheel will stick outside the wheel well.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

17x9 in the front? that is your problem right there (sorry to say). You should have an 8" in the front...at the most with a min. of 4.5 bs, even better is 4.875!

Good luck

Steve
67 Camaro RS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode